Intro and First Issue (spacers) ... New-to-Me '94 Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud…thanks for allowing me to lurk for some time (years, really). I finally bought a rig that pushed me to join the site: a 1994 Land Cruiser.

It’s been 6 years since I’ve had anything other than a grocery getter (although you all would probably consider the Range Rover Sport just that) and am excited to get back into wrenching. I’ve had several Jeeps (5) and Land Rovers (2), but this is my first Toyota.

Based on this site’s recommendations, and the truck’s condition (good…but essentially OEM), I have a laundry list but will be methodical. Except for this issue/question…which was decidedly impulsive:

I got a screaming deal on ’18 Taco wheels with brand new BFG rubber. I knew the risk (offset), but decided to jump. The wheels ‘work,’ but are tucked in too far and the hub flanges are exposed (the caps don’t fit). Form follows function…but it looks like crap.

So…wheel spacers.

I have run into exactly what searches warned: regardless of vehicle fitment listings, I am 0-for-2 with Amazon generic spacers (1.25” and 1.50”). This is a 5-minute job that has become a week-long frustration/disappointment.

Yes, I have searched and most likely know the answer, but hoping for an updated view: Is my only option Spidertrax? Has anyone had success with the generic spacers on the front hubs? I’m not against the real deal, but I was hoping to keep this project as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks all…for this and for everything else I’ve already learned.

Hello Mud…thanks for allowing me to lurk for some time (years, really). I finally bought a rig that pushed me to join the site: a 1994 Land Cruiser.

It’s been 6 years since I’ve had anything other than a grocery getter (although you all would probably consider the Range Rover Sport just that) and am excited to get back into wrenching. I’ve had several Jeeps (5) and Land Rovers (2), but this is my first Toyota.

Based on this site’s recommendations, and the truck’s condition (good…but essentially OEM), I have a laundry list but will be methodical. Except for this issue/question…which was decidedly impulsive:

I got a screaming deal on ’18 Taco wheels with brand new BFG rubber. I knew the risk (offset), but decided to jump. The wheels ‘work,’ but are tucked in too far and the hub flanges are exposed (the caps don’t fit). Form follows function…but it looks like crap.

So…wheel spacers.

I have run into exactly what searches warned: regardless of vehicle fitment listings, I am 0-for-2 with Amazon generic spacers (1.25” and 1.50”). This is a 5-minute job that has become a week-long frustration/disappointment.

Yes, I have searched and most likely know the answer, but hoping for an updated view: Is my only option Spidertrax? Has anyone had success with the generic spacers on the front hubs? I’m not against the real deal, but I was hoping to keep this project as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks all…for this and for everything else I’ve already learned.
If you take the time to read all the reviews on this site, you'll see that SpiderTrax are the smartest option if you MUST use spacers. They are durable and high quality.

Secondly, they MUST be installed properly. Spacers add a point of failure at the wheel and there have been many instances of incorrectly installed spacers causing wheels to fall off, break, or cause an issue on the road or trail.

Third, make sure to use the PROPER lug nuts for the wheels and vehicle and properly torque them.

If you've already owned Jeeps and LR's, then maybe you already know the value of buying a QUALITY piece of equipment.
Toyota and SpiderTrax.
Don't use the cheap imitations anymore.

Personally, I would buy the correct offset wheels and avoid spacers altogether, but that's me.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
If you take the time to read all the reviews on this site, you'll see that SpiderTrax are the smartest option if you MUST use spacers. They are durable and high quality.

Secondly, they MUST be installed properly. Spacers add a pint of failure at the wheel and there have been many instances of incorrectly installed spacers causing wheels to fall off, break, or cause an issue on the road or trail.

Third, make sure to use the PROPER lug nuts for the wheels and vehicle and properly torque them.

If you've already owned Jeeps and LR's, then maybe you already know the value of buying a QUALITY piece of equipment.
Toyota and SpiderTrax.
Don't use the cheap imitations anymore.

Personally, I would buy the correct offset wheels and avoid spacers altogether, but that's me.

Good Luck!
Thank you! I have used generic spacers twice now - once on my TJ and once on an Infiniti G37x. I understand the risk, but have also had >100k trouble-free miles. Perhaps I'm just lucky!

And yes...selling the wheels I just purchased is definitely an option that I'm considering.

1. Pics or it didn't happen.

2. What @JunkCrzr89 said.

1. Pics or it didn't happen.

2. What @JunkCrzr89 said.

Untitled.jpg

🖖

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom