Is there a good aftermarket head unit for the series 200 with nav? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have a 2010 LC outfitted exactly like I like with an OMU suspension and terra grapplers. It's perfect, except the touch screen stereo/ nav system seems dated and annoying.

I'd like to replace it with something newer but so much of the car, like climate control, is tied into that system that I'm hesitant to go with an after market solution.

I've scoured the internet and these forums and haven't found a good answer yet.

I'm looking for something updated, reliable and that will play nicely with my iPhone, and having Apple carplay would be ideal.

Has anyone changed the head unit of a series 200 LC with a head unit that works with climate and that you like? Thank you.

Plenty available but I haven't seen any integrating with the climate control. The one I got is made by flyaudio, check out their site.

I would assume the only possible solution would be to source interior climate controls from outside our market if said market uses a double DIN stereo chassis. Then if the wiring harness is global in design you may be able to pull it off without tremendous hassle.

I'm making a number of assumptions so I could be way off.

For the 100, the wiring harness is completely different for Navi vs non-Navi. I'd expect the same for the 200. There were some 03-07 non-navi 100's that made it to the US though.

Has anybody tried to special order a new LC200 w/o navi?

pic4.jpg

You could probably order all the necessary parts to convert your Navi dash to a non-Navi dash and then install any stereo system you want.

Another option would be one of the Vaistech products. This one would be cool:

http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-i.php

Any updates on this topic? Searching and finding dead ends which leads me to believe it is quite difficult to upgrade nav-stock stereo. My '13 sound system leaves a lot to be desired. Came out of a 05 4runner ltd with the stock jbl system which sounded awesome, so I'm not sure why a much newer jbl system is sounding inferior to my ears. It seems to be the low front door speakers that are bringing almost nothing to the party. Open to all feedback/links - and will keep using search. Thanks.

I just bought a 2009 200 series and am APALLED at the AV system, also graduating from a 2004 4th gen 4runner and a killer aftermarket stereo on an 80 series. Dave did you get the 'tesla' style system? Im not a fan of cinematic lcds while im driving, really just need high quality phone/google voice access with minimal other distractions. Anyone found a good, simple solution?

I've been watching the headunit threads for a couple years and my conclusion is there is no simple or popular solution thats been expressed. There are several threads in the forum in regards to the Tesla style headunits a couple guys have tried and documented but the feedback I took from my reading is you sacrifice some function and deal with some quirks for the swap. I've been on the fence to try one myself and have been waiting to hear about the least painful solution. I replaced my factory speakers which most were blown to get by and since the factory unit is still functional I'm not forced to try anything for now but always interested in a solution. For your reading Tesla style 16" Android Radio install/information

Last edited:
Watching; I'm meh but OK, fine with the 2008 NAV unit. Would like a better aux audio solution but the phone does all I need. Would like to upgrade speakers too and someday, once the dust settles and a leader emerges, upgrade the screen. Sounds like the trade offs are more than I'd be happy with at this point.

@Volunteer Did you go back with factory speakers ?

I didn't my local radio shop gave me a deal on some kicker speakers so I took it. They were 3ohm vs the 2ohm JBL's I took out.

I have replaced the sub, replaced the stock ML amplifier, and rebuilt the DSP and amplification for all 12 channels. The HU is still there, and it's a turd, but really, what does it need to do? I use tablet/phone for navi and phone/aux for audio. The HU really just needs to run the climate system. Fine.

Audio is awesome, btw.

I have an LX and it is much easier to replace the HU / ML than the JBL, they use different audio protocols. The ML provide a 2 channel source at the amp, so it's easy to roll your own from there. The JBL not so much.

I have replaced the sub, replaced the stock ML amplifier, and rebuilt the DSP and amplification for all 12 channels. The HU is still there, and it's a turd, but really, what does it need to do? I use tablet/phone for navi and phone/aux for audio. The HU really just needs to run the climate system. Fine.

Audio is awesome, btw.

I have an LX and it is much easier to replace the HU / ML than the JBL, they use different audio protocols. The ML provide a 2 channel source at the amp, so it's easy to roll your own from there. The JBL not so much.

Darn....
I have an 2008 LC and it has the stock JBL system....Planning to add a sub first but eventually want to add the Audison Bit Ten DSP/replace all speakers and keep the Head unit. I thought about the 12.1 aftermarket vertical screen from Phoenix (all from China) but have since changed my mind. It looks great but think you will lose some functions from stock.

Jbl uses an audio bus to the amp. MOST. So you have to tap in after the amp at speaker level. If the amp goes so does the signal. Not ideal in the long term when caps start popping.
Looks to be easier to replace the climate controls to a non Nav version in tlc and then roll a new Hu though, I haven’t found a Lexus part without screen based climate. Been trying to find it tonight on parts sites. I think the Android HU with screen climate may be the only option for lx to replace Hu and climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom