Is the new Apple Air Tag the best theft tracking device? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, lame.

But the bad guy still has to ‘find’ it. Remove the speakers…and hide it really well.

I think the big downside of new "scanning" feature is that you potentially lose your 24-72hr recovery window. In a prior test 72 hours past before the paint and body shop got a notice that said a "foreign AirTag is traveling with you" (or words to that effect) and the beeping started.

The question is whether the meth heads that steal your car in Portland (or wherever...no disrespect to people that like the rain) will be sophisticated enough to scan your vehicle for AirTags before you can track it down yourself. I kinda doubt it, so for me this is still a pretty worthwhile recovery tool and it seems to work fairly well. I left it in the car for 2 weeks while I had it reupholstered recently and was able to see it on a map at the shop each time I checked. The shop never said a word about it...as if they didn't know.

For the price and convenience I think the AirTag is still hard to beat.

A secret inaccessible panel fastened by security lockout fasteners containing the AitTag would make the removal of the air tag by the theif extremely difficult. They might detect that the AirTag is in the vehicle but have no way to remove it without getting out a sawzall and cutting it out - if they can find it at all.

Required equipment now

D4322826-8097-450E-8C47-E3756A5CA7C8.jpeg

Required equipment now
So that each day when you return home you can crawl underneath your vehicle and look for hidden Air Tags?

So the Canadian police believe that 5 (out of 2,000) vehicles were stolen after a thief tracked down the car using an Air Tag. Wouldn't it have been ironic if one of those 5 stolen vehicles had an owner AirTag that was then used to track down the thief! Good for the goose...

If I ever have to use my AirTags to recover my vehicle, the thieves will be the ones calling the cops. I hid two of them. Cheep piece of mind. And if they find one good luck wasting more time finding the other one. ( get out the grinder) and time is ticking!

Amazon and Walmart have a 4 pack of Air Tags on sale for $85 right now. Looking through this thread is there still a viable use case for hiding a few of these in my 62? Or have software changes rendered them obsolete?
Edit: Meant 4 pack not 8 pack.

Last edited:
I believe it’s $85 well spent. Perfect? No. But likely better than what you have now.

And my suggestion is to place 2 or more in each vehicle.

I believe it’s $85 well spent. Perfect? No. But likely better than what you have now.
Great and logical point. I ordered. From what I am reading on current functionality, in order to disable it, the thief has to physically handle it. And removing the speaker will make it much hard for them to find.

1657737610517.png

@Jamieson22
And I just bought this. Again, not perfect but better than just ‘hiding’ the AirTag.

Amazon product ASIN B0992SKBXZ

Its on sale for Prime Day.
Odd I cannot see the product you posted on my PC but can on Phone. I was thinking some velcro and hiding them inside dash/engine bay/seat/back of glovebox insert/headliner/etc would work best, no?

Sure that will work. Right now this is what i have been using, which are fine but I will be switching to Raptic I linked. These are also on sale for Prime Day. Amazon product ASIN B093333693

Last edited:
Odd I cannot see the product you posted on my PC but can on Phone. I was thinking some velcro and hiding them inside dash/engine bay/seat/back of glovebox insert/headliner/etc would work best, no?

Disable ad blocker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom