Registry 80 Series Registry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Name is Neal Lyons, this is my 1990 HDJ81, 300,000 km/ 186,000 miles. Used for off road fun, hauling cargo to the cottage, winching down trees, camper trailer hauler. RHD JDM, 4.2 diesel, 5 speed, part time T-case and lock out hubs. Only gripe is the JDM 5 speeds are geared too low for the highway, euro's get 3.7 not 4.1. Factory ladder, spare holder and Toyota roof rack. PO added a mild lift and the snorkel.
I replaced the aging BFG's with Patagonia MT's 285/75/16 and I love them. I built the front bumper out of necessity and replaced the push button 4wd system with a ratchet manual twister that is welded directly to the spur gear that turns the worm gear of the T-case locker. Never have to worry about an electric motor failure again and the 4wd dash light still works when you lock it in :cool:

hdj81.jpg
ratchet.jpg

btw, you can ratchet it out of 4wd while driving 60km/h down the road, this would be more difficult with a LHD tho :)

Last edited:
1. Year and model: '96 Cruiser
2. Name of owner: Jim Webb
3. Name of rig: None
4. Mileage: 149k
5. Mods: 4:88's, triple locked, 37's, cage, TRD Supercharger, etc.
6. How the truck is used: Garage queen
7. Photo:

black.jpg

Front corner.jpg

Other corner.jpg

Not sure about the sliders but sure would like to see and hear more about the cage !!

Nice, talk to me about your snorkel and sliders…custom?
All custom. I think it was done in the Phoenix area.

Well hello guys I couldn't access my old acc asmbj70 which was about 12 yrs ago!
Recently bought a Fj80 which seems pretty rare.
Asad Moyeen
1996 Fj80 1FZF carburetor. 5 speed manual. Engageable 4wd with triple lockers and hub locks.
Color Black 202
Trim Gx with dual air con and sunroof. 4 headlamps quad setup. Quite clean for age with 250k kms. Original paint. Wheels and bar etc.
Future plans to go 1HDT keeping gearbox .
For now restore and rebuild to glory!

IMG_20220703_223517_638.jpg

Well hello guys I couldn't access my old acc asmbj70 which was about 12 yrs ago!
Recently bought a Fj80 which seems pretty rare.
Asad Moyeen
1996 Fj80 1FZF carburetor. 5 speed manual. Engageable 4wd with triple lockers and hub locks.
Color Black 202
Trim Gx with dual air con and sunroof. 4 headlamps quad setup. Quite clean for age with 250k kms. Original paint. Wheels and bar etc.
Future plans to go 1HDT keeping gearbox .
For now restore and rebuild to glory!

View attachment 3059637

Screenshot_20220716-033733_Gallery.jpg

1. Year and model: 1994 FJ80
2. Name of owner: Brad Kraay
3. Name of rig: TBD (see 6)
4. Mileage: 180k
5. Mods: Nada--plenty of life to decide.
6. How the truck is used: I drive a 200 series, but my oldest daughter (15) was in need of her first car--thinking she would want something modern and techie, I was pumped when she said she'd rather have an older Cruiser. We just picked this thing up; inside looks like it's not been touched... regardless, it's my daughter's first vehicle.
7. Photo:

IMG-2654.jpg

IMG-2657.jpg

6. How the truck is used: I drive a 200 series, but my oldest daughter (15) was in need of her first car--thinking she would want something modern and techie, I was pumped when she said she'd rather have an older Cruiser. We just picked this thing up; inside looks like it's not been touched... regardless, it's my daughter's first vehicle.
7. Photo:

View attachment 3072678

View attachment 3072679

Damn that is clean.

7. Photo:

View attachment 3072678

View attachment 3072679
Nice score!!

1995 1HD-FT HDJ81, 113k miles, named "Pearl". One previous owner, sun roof, with diff locks. "Camper" version, with original platform/drawers and cooking setup.

I have spent most of my time on mud over in the 70-series section with my HZJ73. This week, we picked up an HDJ81 from Japan, and drove it back to New England.

IMG_8923.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

IMG_8925.JPG

IMG_8927.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

1. '94 FZJ80
2. Eric Daniels
3. Undecided as of yet
4. 168k (after 3k road trip to get it home from AZ to MD)
5. OME 2" lift, 4.56 gears, Marlin Crawler gear, Center Diff lock manual button, ARB Locker in rear, Dual fuel tanks, Dual batteries, JDM pusher fan, Kaymar rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Front Runner roof rack, ARB awning, EscapeGear front seat covers, extra stuff that I probably haven't even noticed yet!
6. Fun rig for everything from the beach at Assateague to the Mountains of MD/PA/VA
7. Fun fact, picked this up last week in the same neighborhood (Tucson) as @kraayzizou ... mine is your modified twin ... ;) ... and home to share some off roading fun with my son in his '96 Taco.

1995 1HD-FT HDJ81, 113k miles, named "Pearl". One previous owner, sun roof, with diff locks. "Camper" version, with original platform/drawers and cooking setup.

I have spent most of my time on mud over in the 70-series section with my HZJ73. This week, we picked up an HDJ81 from Japan, and drove it back to New England.

View attachment 3073259
View attachment 3073260
View attachment 3073261
View attachment 3073262
View attachment 3073263
As you know I’m a big fan of the 73s but I think you going to like the way the 80 rides and drives way better.
Looks like it has a lot of cool features, the two tone paint is really nice.
Original platform drawers ?

As you know I’m a big fan of the 73s but I think you going to like the way the 80 rides and drives way better.
Looks like it has a lot of cool features, the two tone paint is really nice.
Original platform drawers ?
Oh trust me, we already know! And "original" as far as I know extends to them being from Japan. Not sure if the brand is factory or else.

Oh trust me, we already know! And "original" as far as I know extends to them being from Japan. Not sure if the brand is factory or else.
Are you starting a thread on Pearl ?
We want to see and hear about all the details 😉

1. '94 FZJ80
2. Eric Daniels
3. Undecided as of yet
5. OME 2" lift, 4.56 gears, Marlin Crawler gear, Center Diff lock manual button, ARB Locker in rear, Dual fuel tanks, Dual batteries, JDM pusher fan, Kaymar rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Front Runner roof rack, ARB awning, EscapeGear front seat covers, extra stuff that I probably haven't even noticed yet!
6. Fun rig for everything from the beach at Assateague to the Mountains of MD/PA/VA
7. Fun fact, picked this up last week in the same neighborhood (Tucson) as @kraayzizou ... mine is your modified twin ... ;) ... and home to share some off roading fun with my son in his '96 Taco.

Nice looking rig. How were those Geolandar MT on the highway?

1. '94 FZJ80
2. Eric Daniels
3. Undecided as of yet
Awesome! Small world--where in Maryland? My company is based in Gaithersburg. I try getting back there quarterly. Flying. Not in a Land Cruiser :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom