The meaning of "FJ" and "BJ" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Today i got asked what BJ means... and i didnt have a clue, so i was just wondering if anyone knew the meaning of FJ and BJ???

Today i got asked what BJ means... and i didnt have a clue, so i was just wondering if anyone knew the meaning of FJ and BJ???

FJ

F stands for Gas, 6 cylinder F, 32F, 3F, 1FZ

B is a 4 cylinder Diesel series B, 2B, 3B

H series of motors are Diesel 6 cylinder H, 2H, 1HZ, 1HD-T etc.

P is 5 cylinder diesel as in PJ-74

Second Letter in FJ
J Means Toyota rather than Dyna. If were Dyna, it would be BU rather than BJ

Does that make sense?

Yup for example "13B-T"
The "1" means piston skirt cooling
3B is the model, meaning 4 cylinder diesel
"T" means turbo

Yup for example "13B-T"
The "1" means piston skirt cooling
3B is the model, meaning 4 cylinder diesel
"T" means turbo

dosnt the 3B also have piston skirt cooling?

FJ

Second Letter in FJ

Does that make sense?

"J" does not mean Toyota. "J" Is the country of origin......Japan

FJ

Second Letter in FJ

Does that make sense?

Thank you for this post. I always knew FJ40 was the petrol type and BJ40 was the diesel but never knew where the lettering came from. It all makes sense when you explain it that way. I love reading these threads and acually leaning something. :cheers:

The first lettter is the motor family.

I've yet to see a good explanation for second letter - the "J" designation. Keep in mind that Toyota was making medium duty trucks at the same time, FA, FB, FC.... which all used the F motor and were 1-1/2 ton+ trucks.

"J" does not represent Japan (the PK-10 would be made in Korea?) It also predates Dyna. It does not predate the Toyota Jeep, which preceded the Land Cruiser name, and the BJ-25 (this B not a diesel, but the six cylinder gas B motor before the F came about).

Clear as mud.

The J does not "stand for" anything. It is simply the vehicle family designator. Cruisers are J.
Minitrucks are N
Corolla is E
Celica is A
etc...

So a 1985 celica w/ a 22RE is a RA64
a Land Cruiser II w/ a 22R is an RJ70
A mini w/ an 22R is an RN60

If anyone has anything of significance to add to this thread, please PM me and I will add it. The kids got this locked.

:beer:

What's In a Name- From LandC1973

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to ask Toyota because I wnated to know for sure on ....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...ing-fj-bj.html

FJ40Jim was basically correct.

""""""""""""""""""""""
Reply-to:Ask Toyota (toyota_cares@toyota.com)
To: landc1973@hotmail.com

Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.
Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Naming Convention

Discussion Thread
Response (Tom Morita) 01/24/2008 09:58 AM
as-html>
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate the opportunity to answer your question.
Your FJ Land Cruiser derives its name from the 1950's Toyota Land Cruiser, which arrived in the United States in 1958.
The "F" is a reference to that early 50's engine series type and the "J" refers to the body style of the 1950's 4 Wheel Drive Land Cruiser vehicle.
The third and fourth digits, 40, identifies the generation code for the vehicle's engine, which is the first generation.
If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience

01/20/2008 06:24 AM
Naming Convention
I have owned a couple older FJ Land Cruisers since ‘94 and still have a ’73 FJ 40. It is a great vehicle, I feel bad for the jeep owners. Anyway I want to know the truth from the source, What does F… J... 4…0 mean? From the link below there are some theories but if anyone would KNOW it would be you.

Thank You

""""""""""""""""""""""

So, if someone bought one of the newer FJ Cruisers, what the heck would they be getting?(this would be a Toyota question, I think)
What's In a Name- From LandC1973

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to ask Toyota because I wnated to know for sure on ....

FJ40Jim was basically correct.

""""""""""""""""""""""
Reply-to:Ask Toyota (toyota_cares@toyota.com)
To: landc1973@hotmail.com

Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.
Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Naming Convention

Discussion Thread
Response (Tom Morita) 01/24/2008 09:58 AM
as-html>
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate the opportunity to answer your question.
Your FJ Land Cruiser derives its name from the 1950's Toyota Land Cruiser, which arrived in the United States in 1958.
The "F" is a reference to that early 50's engine series type and the "J" refers to the body style of the 1950's 4 Wheel Drive Land Cruiser vehicle.
The third and fourth digits, 40, identifies the generation code for the vehicle's engine, which is the first generation.
If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience

01/20/2008 06:24 AM
Naming Convention
I have owned a couple older FJ Land Cruisers since ‘94 and still have a ’73 FJ 40. It is a great vehicle, I feel bad for the jeep owners. Anyway I want to know the truth from the source, What does F… J... 4…0 mean? From the link below there are some theories but if anyone would KNOW it would be you.

Thank You

""""""""""""""""""""""

They would be getting a petrol automatic PRADO with a body kit

I will add something else. After WW2 , occupied Japan, Toyota first called the utility vehicle, "Toyota Jeep". Willys took this as infringement and raised heck. Our Jeeps were all over and to copy them was easy. Willys gas engine had an "F-head" designation and I was once told that they followed these type of designations. Even the engines were similiar as "F135" etc.. Willys did the same. Follow the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_Hurricane_engine

J = Jeep

From Toyota....
"At the time there were many Jeeps being driven in Japan, which had been brought in by the occupying forces, and the Jeep came to be the symbol of the 4x4. For this reason Toyota called its prototype the Toyota Jeep, and by combining a B-type engine with a Jeep model it was known as the BJ."

Started as the Toyota Jeep then just Toyota BJ then land cruiser in 6/54

See my historical data and Toyota BJ Jeep links in my sig
image.jpg

The story as I understand it: short, and is missing some elements, but it makes sense.
Willis corporation was contracted by the US military to develop an all purpose vehicle, light, nimble, 4x4, and able to be air lifted. This vehicle came to be know as the GP or general purpose vehicle. The military called them, "geeps". After the war, many GP's were left, Willys corp, rebadged them using the jeep name, and creation the first CJ, Otherwise known as the civilian jeep.

The previous statements about the Japanese feeling overwhelmed with all these GP American made vehicles running around, so decided to create their own, while providing for their military and citizens. While I want to believe they were following an alphabetized lettering in their models, I have heard otherwise. The FJ was referred to as the Foreign Jeep, and was a vast improvement to the Willys GP and CJ. The FJ was sold to many other military's worldwide as well as the GP or jeep. An old Australian soldier in once asked me if I my 40 was a foreign jeep, I said no, it's an FJ40, and then it clicked. He said we call those foreign jeeps or trucks and the American version is the jeep.

I like my story the best. It's all bull****, but it's the best.

My hilux is rn37. Toyotareference.com has the car codes for almost every toyota along with other information and images.

laveycrafter's response sure does make sense-----

I thought the response from Toyota sorta clinched it.

Batam designed what we know as the Willy's jeep, but government didn't think they could handle production. So it was contracted to Willys & Ford & some other manufacturers for production w/some slight modifications from the original design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom