What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (73 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you start it with a screw driver at that level of tear down?
Not that I've been able to tell. Right now, the internals are broken so I cannot get a screwdriver into it.

That's what I was going for, but I have to remove the aluminum tube-looking thing on the stand-off first. That's where the guts are broken internally and the ignition switch is screwed to the back of it.

At this level of tear down, the steering wheel has to be manually held unlocked and the shifter lock is kinda funky.

I was (am) looking for a way to jury-rig it to make it so I can drive it home or just drive it for work.

Still talking with Toyota to find out availability of parts. It's not looking good.

I have to cut off the bolts that hold all that to the column. The new bolts are torque to shear heads.

Spent a nice weekend camping in the mountains with friends then got an awful knocking noise on the way back to town. It took a while to notice it because my camp stove rattles in the truck and I was listening to the stereo. By the time I really noticed the noise was not just my gear rattling around, turned off the stereo, determined it was coming from the truck and found a safe place to stop it was knocking and rattling like the dickens. Lost maybe 40% power by the very end and temp crept up to 207 (would normally be around 187 under these conditions). It did not lose oil pressure according to the gauge, did not lose oil. Fan and belts all tight and normal, no leaks other than the same old ones. Engine died as I rolled to a stop in D (did not turn off ignition). I was able to fire it up again, but the noise was terrible, so I just shut it back down right away.

I'm pretty sure the engine is toast, but I haven't had time to fully look into it. 340k miles, so I'm not too sore about it, but it was running like a top with no symptoms just the day before.

Any theories as to anything other than internal engine failure that might cause a clattering, knocking noise like a motor in it's death throes? Definitely not coming from the PS pump, but I could not pinpoint where the noise originates other than "from the engine." Timing chain? Water pump? Kind of afraid to start it up.

View attachment 3056194

And kudos to the tow truck guy for helping me get it into the garage without starting it up.

View attachment 3056195

Did it throw a check engine light or any codes?

I had a really bad misfire and my engine was shaking like crazy and making bad knocking noises along with substantial loss of power when some rodents chewed through my spark plug wires one night while camping.

Definitely worth checking your sparks plugs and wires.

Fingers crossed you don't need a new motor.

🤞

Speaking of camping and rodents.... I had a patients sample at work yesterday and found spirochete bacteria in their blood. Its a pretty rare thing to find but it turns out they got tick borne relapsing fever from a tick bite while staying in a cabin up on the mtn.

20220710_192316.jpg

The little purple spirals floating around the red blood cells are the bacteria. Borellia hermsi is the bacteria that causes this in Utah.

Watch out for rodents in cabins!!!!

Last edited:
Hey all! I have been PM'ing the crud out of my 1997 FZJ80 for a couple years and am getting ready to conduct my first non-pm work on the Sherpa Mobile!! I bought a rolling chassis (allegedly a RHD HDJ81) with locking diffs in it. I don't know for sure what year the chassis is and have opted to just retro the locking thirds into my existing housings rather than doing a complete axle swap because I don't want to have to mess around with differences in mounting the entire axles. I am going to shoot a parts order out tomorrow and one of the things I am going to purchase is this E-Locker retro kit from Yotamasters but have a quick question: Apart from the gaskets which I know are different, can I buy two (2) of these kits and use the bolts, drill, and tap to do both the front and rear?

Additionally, does anyone who has done this recommend me completely removing the housings from under my rig to accomplish this magical feat? I am pretty freaked out about drilling and tapping the new studs in a straight manner!!

When I bought the rolling chassis I got the entire wiring harness for it as well and have no use for it. I am thinking of selling it so if anyone wants more information lemme know.

Thanks everyone, I am excited...

View attachment 3055820

View attachment 3055822

Here is the kit I was talking about:

The retro kit for the front 8" e-locker will NOT work with the rear 9.5" e-locker. The rear uses larger diameter studs and the housing and locker are 100% different than the front.

Also, to fit that front locker in a non-locker housing you will need to grind/cut/otherwise remove a section of the axle housing in addition to drilling and tapping for the 4 studs. The picture below (graciously stolen from the internet) shows the difference between a stock, non-locked housing on the left versus a modified-for-an-e-locker housing on the right. The pic is of an 8" REAR axle from a pickup/4Runner, but the mods to the housing are the same for the 8" axle in the FRONT of your 80/81.
locker.jpeg

As for modifying the rear 80/81 housing for the e-locker, it's along the same lines as the front but not as drastic if I remember correctly.

The retro kit for the front 8" e-locker will NOT work with the rear 9.5" e-locker. The rear uses larger diameter studs and the housing and locker are 100% different than the front.

Also, to fit that front locker in a non-locker housing you will need to grind/cut/otherwise remove a section of the axle housing in addition to drilling and tapping for the 4 studs. The picture below (graciously stolen from the internet) shows the difference between a stock, non-locked housing on the left versus a modified-for-an-e-locker housing on the right. The pic is of an 8" REAR axle from a pickup/4Runner, but the mods to the housing are the same for the 8" axle in the FRONT of your 80/81.
View attachment 3056539

As for modifying the rear 80/81 housing for the e-locker, it's along the same lines as the front but not as drastic if I remember correctly.
Bryson, that is wicked cool information on the difference in the studs. I used a JDM vin decoder and found this out about the donor Chassis:
1657580866472.png

I also called and talked to a SLEE representative about just swapping the HDJ axles straight over to my 1997 and was told that there were quite a few differences (apart from the obvious RHD issues) between my axles and the HDJ axles. The Slee rep told me I should just regear and put ARB's in and call it good. He also thought it was very strange that these differentials are 4.56 gears and not something much taller. He commented on how Diesel rigs did not come stock with 4.56. He also admitted that he was not an expert either. Sounds like it would be easier to just retro the thirds into my existing housings. Hopefully the axles shafts are not crazy different or something freaky like that.

Thanks again,

Where's the "silly questions you are afraid to ask" thread?

Mine is this - what option comes on my LX450 where the little round blank is on the lower right side dash by the steering wheel? I can't find a reference in the manual. Thoughts would be most appreciated.

Lexus 450 blank.JPG

Where's the "silly questions you are afraid to ask" thread?

Mine is this - what option comes on my LX450 where the little round blank is on the lower right side dash by the steering wheel? I can't find a reference in the manual. Thoughts would be most appreciated.

View attachment 3056825
Manual throttle cable

Got the intake off that was fun! 🤬
Pulled valve cover and what a mess! Blown head equals milkshake city. my machine shop will hot tank whatever I bring in with a aluminum safe cleaner when I bring the head In To get worked. Hopefully pull head tomorrow and have it back next week.

33F313E9-0688-4258-A7D6-856481C99016.jpeg

BFD5D712-943D-4DC5-AC8E-706451187D5D.jpeg

92022373-74AD-489A-AF1D-4BE29DA24015.jpeg

9425ED0F-7DCA-4F2A-B803-22FA6D6DF1A3.jpeg

0B5E0C86-CFBD-4EBC-B4AE-635C1841AAC0.jpeg

Quick install of some quick charge ports to help with some dash mounted electrical accessories.

Remove the clock, unscrew the clock from the surround. Screw in a plate, and connect the wire harness into the clock wiring.

Clean and easy.

7138BE23-2FF5-4387-AEEF-5662CAF1093F.JPG

65346FE1-4F29-4384-92CF-96D2804971CC.JPG

E21EF641-C507-4F6B-8BCD-8796AAE0C5AB.JPG

IMG-9642.jpg

Quick install of some quick charge ports to help with some dash mounted electrical accessories.

Remove the clock, unscrew the clock from the surround. Screw in a plate, and connect the wire harness into the clock wiring.

Clean and easy.

View attachment 3057560

View attachment 3057561

View attachment 3057563

View attachment 3057564
Why did you ruin a perfectly good clock?! It's so useful and so easy to see in the daytime even on the brightest of days. 😜😂. That 67 designs is pretty sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom