What to do while instrument cluster is out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rectangle in the middle is what holds the shift bulbs.

62EAD6C6-9EB4-4250-A36F-A220F7FD0FEF.jpeg

get yourself your FSM if you don't have it (link in my signature below). It'll take you step by step through removing the cluster along with whatever else you might ever need to do with your rig.

While the cluster is out completely remove your speedo cable and the cable housing from the truck. The most difficult part is the back of the cluster.

While it is out remove the cable from the cable housing. Use brake cleaner, carb cleaner or something similar and spray into the top of the cable hosujng and let it drain. Do this until no more black nasty stuff comes out.

Than clean the cable, re lube the cable and the cable housing, and re-install.

My 91 had a sticky cable that made a ton of noise when it was cold. The oem cable was NLA. I did the steps above and it was good as new.
Super helpful. Thanks!

Be careful when taking the shift position display out its a white rectangle insert that holds the d light bulbs and others my was very brittle and I stole one tab there is two tabs that need depressing to take out. When you pull it out you have do push the bottom into the dash and kinda rotate down and out. Easy job takes maybe 30 min to get out and replace bulbs. I pulled mine to fix the oil pressure gauge and replaced all bulbs with led. The d light is on now but I wish I left it out like @BILT4ME said it’s nice to have dim dash lights at night. Also your center console shifter is supposed to be back lit, mine was not and since I was ordering bulbs I replaced that one also.

View attachment 3057434

View attachment 3057435
What was wrong with your oil pressure gauge? and how did you fix it. Mine reads lower than it used to. Had the sending unit replaced and wire checked. Pressure is good. I just ordered a used gauge. Hope that fixes it.

get yourself your FSM if you don't have it (link in my signature below). It'll take you step by step through removing the cluster along with whatever else you might ever need to do with your rig.
Thanks I have one for my 93. I just have not read it yet:rofl:

What was wrong with your oil pressure gauge? and how did you fix it. Mine reads lower than it used to. Had the sending unit replaced and wire checked. Pressure is good. I just ordered a used gauge. Hope that fixes it.
Mine gauge had the needle jump of the coil inside and was reading zero. I just took it apart and reattached it with some tweezers and a steady hand. I verified good oil pressure with a gauge in place of the sending unit.

E4A3D3B1-68FC-46C0-A7D3-ACA0ACCB5F22.jpeg

C09867B1-CFB7-4723-9105-7BF66F9EB841.jpeg

Hey everyone. Is there a fix for an oil pressure gauge that is presenting incorrectly?

It does move up a little when the engine is turned on but never goes above the Low mark?

Oil pressure is fine.

Thoughts?

Hey everyone. Is there a fix for an oil pressure gauge that is presenting incorrectly?

It does move up a little when the engine is turned on but never goes above the Low mark?

Oil pressure is fine.

Thoughts?
Does the needle rest far below the first mark? I think you can carefully bend the metal strip to reset the needle to the bottom at rest

I know this is probably too late, but there is an idiot light (at least on my 97 LX) for a clogged air filter. I purchased an electrical air filter sensor many moons ago and installed it on my air cleaner filter housing with the intent of hooking it that light but never got around to it. IIRC takin* out the gauge cluster wasn’t that hard. There are a few threads here about it.

Here are a couple pics of the air filter sensor.

CF89D52D-0D86-40E1-9A47-33329901954A.jpeg

F9EC213A-4857-4616-B24B-E435C2277FB6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom