Clutch Master Cylinder shot - anything else I should replace while in there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

My 1979 FJ40 is in need of a new clutch master cylinder. (The reservoir is bone dry and I can't get the car into gear.) I was told to replace the clutch release cylinder while doing the clutch master cylinder work - is there anything else I should do while in there?

Yes, traditionally the slave and master are replaced at the same time. Might be a good time to replace the hose too.
Rebuild kits for both cylinders are readily available (Cruiser Outfitters) and are easy rebuilds.

Good advice above to replace the flexible line while replacing the master and slave. I didn’t adhere to that advice only replacing my clutch master. My Slave cylinder worked fine….until it didn’t. So I replaced the slave and it worked great…until it didn’t. I dinked around thinking the master or slave had gone bad even replacing the slave again! After all I had no leaks so the hose had to be good. I finally ordered the hose to replace with my 2nd set of master and slave. Works like it should now after spending twice what I should have.

Hello,

My 1979 FJ40 is in need of a new clutch master cylinder. (The reservoir is bone dry and I can't get the car into gear.) I was told to replace the clutch release cylinder while doing the clutch master cylinder work - is there anything else I should do while in there?

i would replace all of this for sure ...... 🤔

1657668872261.png

Last edited:
UPDATE: I was reading on this more and decided to see if the pedal was the correct height. It was not and I adjusted the nut so it was at the proper height. At that point I was able to get it into reverse and get it out of the garage, however, I am still unable to get it into 1st. (2, 3, 4 and R all work fine.)

Help!

Last edited:
There's more adjustments than just pedal height.
20220711_211038.jpg

Once the pedal adjustments are done, then the rod adjustments between the slave and the fork will determine where the height the clutch engages and releases.

Figure 2-1 is in the passenger compartment. Figures 2-2 and 2-3 are in the engine compartment. Follow the FSM verbatim and you should be successful.

You might want to discover why the reservoir is empty. There is a leak in your system and it could be in the slave or one of the fluid lines or fittings.
Check under the clutch pedal on the firewall--do you see dribbles and wet paint flaking? if so, the Master is leaking. You can get a new master(Aisin) from BMA Auto--$42--hyd hose is $14,clutch slave is $26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom