How must rust/corrosion is too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there.

I am a Toyota guy looking to get my first LC. Have my eye on HJ61s. I plan to garage the truck in winters.

Here is one locally. Is this too much rust to even consider? I don't mind spending <$5k getting things repaired so it doesn't rot out on me but is that money better spend on a better example.

Thanks

1657595884908.png
1657595910553.png
1657595945375.png

And by locally I mean the only one within 500 miles (that I can find).

Not enough information or pictures here to offer an opinion. Though there is rust showing on parts that aren't normally rusty so that's not a good sign. Do some reading on the most rust-prone areas, and then post pictures of those areas. You'll get some pretty educated opinions pretty quick after that.

And where is 'local'? Minnesota? Travelling and shipping are sometimes the necessary evils of finding a good 60 series.

If that’s the ONLY rust on the truck, then that’s really not bad at all.

But if the commonly rusted areas are shot and those pictures are in addition, then it may be too rusty.

How does the lower tail gate look? Rear fenders?
Inside in front of rear wheel-wells.
Rear frame C-channel area?

As said above, provide pictures of those areas. I can see a C channel and it is all wavy. It is rusting and will need to be replaced. This vehicle will never be brought back to really nice condition underneath without a lot of work but it doesnt look too bad. In canada that would be relatively rust free, from what I can see.

In my area that would be considered clean, 5-10 year old trucks here have more rust than that. If the body is solid that surface rust on the frame wouldn't stop me from buying it

I have no issue with traveling around the country for the right truck. Importing however is less desirable to me.

This vehicle was listed on bringatrailer a few years back but did not sell. 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ61 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-toyota-land-cruiser-hj61-7/. Seller states it was imported through Landcruisers Direct.

The roof rust was said to be repaired and repainted.

The lower tailgate was replaced due to rust.

Here are some representational photos (the lower door rust was the worst of the 4).

Thanks everyone

1657626632132.png
1657626674799.png
1657626711948.png

1657626909837.png

Spend your $5K on travelling to or transporting a relatively rust free example. The pictures you include OP do not look that bad (have seen way worse), but there are likely better non rusty examples in another part of the country however if you are willing to travel. You will have plenty to do on your truck without throwing rust repair into the mix. HJ61's might be a little more of a challenge to locate but I don't think impossible. You don't mention pricing for this example so maybe its a decent deal which you would have to factor in to your decision. I personally do not have the tools or skills to deal with rust and any rust you can see pales in comparison to the rust you can't as to make any questionable rusty trucks non-starters for me. There are just too many relatively rust free examples available for me to deal with rust. On the other hand, you would be saving a truck that would otherwise rot to dust. The HJ61s will be more of a challenge to find so you will need to factor that in also. Rust free examples are out there. Just have to hunt them down. Again tougher for the model you are after. HTH.

Thank you Gretsch.

The truck in question is a little under 20k.

My budget is 25k with another 5k in the first 6 months to bring it up to speed including restoration/mech/suspension/tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom