Let's baseline my grandma's neglected, (20 year old to us) 1997 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to do the same thing to mine...been buying parts over the last six months. I've had my '97 for six years and I'm now in a financial position (see: Way better job/career) to afford to baseline and then build.
I'll sub and watch this thread, thanks!
nice! I believe I saw your post on here or fb and thinking it sounded similar to mine.

ooh. you have more areas nearby to go offroad. mine has only been on paved roads since 2000
Yeah, there are so many places to go off roading, or even small back road trails or old logging roads.

If you ever come out this way, let me know!

no more P0135 CEL. It turns out the denso o2 sensor I got from amazon was working properly. The part only cost $3 from another dealership and 3 hours of labor 🥲

20220707_093220.jpg

I've had the thermocure running through the cooling system for ~100 miles now. Maybe driving it around with the rear heater on low and heat all the way up in 80F weather would help the thermocure work its way to the heater core?

I've had the thermocure running through the cooling system for ~100 miles now. Maybe driving it around with the rear heater on low and heat all the way up in 80F weather would help the thermocure work its way to the heater core?
Yeah I ran with the heat on max. My rear heat is bypassed but I imagine it needs to circulate as well. I think the manufacturer suggested I run it for a week and I drove it every day.

I've done 5 rounds of drain and fill with tap water out of the engine block drain.

I think it's time to go out to target and buy 6 gallons of distilled water for a final rounds of flush?

is it safe to keep the engine running while I drain from the engine block and just top up the radiator with distilled water?

20220708_201420.jpg

I wouldn't do that. Just buy enough distilled water for two flushes (plus final fill if you're not using premix).

Have you already blasted the radiator and heater cores with tap water from a hose?
I didnt do any "blasting" but just driving with the front and rear heater at its hottest for 100 miles on the thermacure. then just drain and fill. 😬

I didnt do any "blasting" but just driving with the front and rear heater at its hottest for 100 miles on the thermacure. then just drain and fill. 😬

Pull off those hoses and get to it. I dislodged quite a bit of grit from both heater cores using a hose. Not so much from the radiator, but on another vehicle, hoo boy it just kept spitting out more. I should've just replaced that radiator, in retrospect.

Pull off those hoses and get to it. I dislodged quite a bit of grit from both heater cores using a hose. Not so much from the radiator, but on another vehicle, hoo boy it just kept spitting out more. I should've just replaced that radiator, in retrospect.
ooh let me try that tomorrow morning before I put the final flush. is the mess unavoidable?

I didn't have the time to do any more flushing this morning because I woke up late, but I got a message from a friend who works at the lexus dealership and was able to get me a pair of rear shocks for $60 total. I couldn't order the part online. They had one at the dealership but the other one came from atlanta.

679094761.jpg
Screenshot_20220709-191050_Brave.jpg

Ok @florida95fzj I'm going to find time to flush the heater core tomorrow but just wanted to verify that the input and output ports are marked by the arrows below?

20220710_194408.jpg

I think that looks right.

Is there another set of hard pipes going through the firewall?

Putting aside the fact my rear heater is deleted, your setup looks different than I what I understand should be stock on the left side of your picture.

I'm attaching drawings I found in other threads here from Witts End. This might save you some searching. It seems like it took awhile to get the full picture mapped out so I could change out all of the hoses. You can probably use this to verify things for your flush.

Wits-End-1FZ-Coolant-Map.jpg

Wits-End-1FZ-Hose-and-Clamp-size.jpg

Wits-End-1FZ-Hose-and-Clamp-size2.jpg

Wits-End-1FZ-PHH-Replace-Options.jpg

1995 Land Cruiser -- Cooling System A.jpg

1995 Land Cruiser -- Cooling System C.jpg

1995 Land Cruiser -- Cooling System D.jpg

1995 Land Cruiser -- Cooling System B.jpg

Wits-End-1FZ-Rear-Heater-Bypass.jpg

Yeah, that left side looked sketchy to me. You can see a little hose below the T connector that connects to the firewall. That could probably be the stock firewall port you were looking for? My gut tells me that metal pipe is rusted so he bypassed it and routed the new rubber hose to the rear blower. It's actually working right now, but I'm going to do the rear heater delete.

20220508_182103.jpg

I think that looks right.

Is there another set of hard pipes going through the firewall?

Putting aside the fact my rear heater is deleted, your setup looks different than I what I understand should be stock on the left side of your picture.

I'm attaching drawings I found in other threads here from Witts End. This might save you some searching. It seems like it took awhile to get the full picture mapped out so I could change out all of the hoses. You can probably use this to verify things for your flush.

I looked for a video and found that mine does look different from stock:

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 12.38.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 12.43.35 AM.png

I've done 5 rounds of drain and fill with tap water out of the engine block drain.

I think it's time to go out to target and buy 6 gallons of distilled water for a final rounds of flush?

is it safe to keep the engine running while I drain from the engine block and just top up the radiator with distilled water?

View attachment 3053911
That looks great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom