Swiss Poverty Pack Barn Door HDJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I loved the truck I have, now I long for this one. Great narrative and I look forward to seeing how you progress with the build out. I applaud your decision to keep it simple.

Amazing truck and great story. Congrats. Your signature says Colorado. Are you in the Denver area?

Great story, hats off to you for your persistence. I've got one living around the corner from me belonging to @davegonz. It used to belong to @bottombracket and IIRC he has one he's purchased that's sitting in a cave in the Canary Islands waiting for its birthday so it can come through customs.

Great story and photos. Nice score. I'd like to find an LHD troopy in europe or middle east someday.

@gilmorneau FANTASTIC!

I sold my poverty pack 1HZ for Marilu the HDJ80….but then found a 1997 HDJ80 on Tenerife thanks to, of all things, Facebook.

I bought it 18 months ago and like yours, it’s birthday is July 1997. It’s finally time to put it on a boat.

Can’t wait to see what you will do with yours.

Very cool @gilmorneau does this mean you are done in the 70 series world? I can't remember if you have another one.

Not done with 70's. I've been without one since I sold the Troopy, but there's a sweet HZJ75 pickup on a boat off the coast of California right now that I'm going to go get in about two weeks. But that's another story. :cool:

I'd like to find an LHD troopy in europe or middle east someday.

Why "someday"? They're out there, you just need to act when you find one. The dollar is strong right now--great time to buy something in Euro.

Love it. There's some good finds in Europe. Would maybe have it shipped to Halifax and drive home from there (I live in Canada).

On December 28th, my car (along with Canada’s allotment of Sprinter vans) is unloaded at the port in Nanaimo BC. Amazingly, I have documentation of the moment it drives off the ship (thanks, Ryan):

And parked at the port:
I’m really impressed you got these photos of the RORO process. I wish I had them for my HDJ81! The closest I got was ship tracking and a single traffic webcam photo of the ship entering port.

I’m glad it worked out so well for you and this “holy grail” cruiser. Thank you for sharing the story and pics. Very enjoyable read.

Great story and pics. Keep them coming. One day I hope to have the resources to get my dream Cruiser.

Awesome read!

Thank you for sharing. I cant wait to see where this build goes.

Super nice of ya to start a thread and share the whole process. Amazing the effort that went in to get it here. Looks amazing. Can’t wait for the build!

My 80 is a rusting body 1992 build dx with manual windows, barn doors, 1hz diesel (still the original motor), etc. I would never own anything else bar a base model 4wd, and if i did upgrade, it would be to a 75 (or later 79 series). 79's new are impossible to get atm, but there are plenty of used 75's around. I don't need fancy s*** like carpets, turbo motors, power this, power that. If I keep my 80 it'll get a new (maybe crate) 1hz motor and it will never need anything else.

Base model 80's are the best platform to start with for any sort of tweaks/mods a person wants to try. I've had about 4 different suspension configs under mine and the one I have now works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom