LX470 2004 | Need help with Android Screen (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@xswl that’s great news! You got rid of the hissing! What exactly did you do differently to clear it up? I feel like I’ve tried every possible connection set up, but maybe I missed something. I happily keep this thing if I could get rid of the hissing. Any details you can forward would be much appreciated.

I don't think @xswl ever had the audio hiss. Could be wrong.

Oh, maybe I misread. He said “no hissing sound either.” But, maybe he never had a hissing sound? Dunno.

Last edited:

Correct, never had the hissing sound. However, I did notice on high volume that the music sounded distorted. I think the volume control that shows up on the screen vs the volume knob are independent. Meaning the volume knob (which works) is controlling the hardware volume while the steering wheel or screen controls are affecting the software volume. So I made the software volume lower and use the volume knob to turn it up and it sounds great to me now.

(deleted)

Last edited:
Is it safe to say that the installation process (wiring and transplanting the black box from the factory unit) is similar to what is shown in this video and this video? Obviously it is a different unit but the setup seems similar from what I am reading. The lack of clear installation instructions leaves me a bit hesitant.

[

No, not at all the same. You take off your current MFD screen and replace it with the Teyes unit. Everything else stays in place. Removing from the dash is pretty straightforward. You might find some posts on removing the MFD here in the forum.

Then it's just a matter of connecting the harness. It's a relatively easy install. You just hope you get lucky that everything works and there's no troubleshooting.

@xswl that’s great news! You got rid of the hissing! What exactly did you do differently to clear it up? I feel like I’ve tried every possible connection set up, but maybe I missed something. I happily keep this thing if I could get rid of the hissing. Any details you can forward would be much appreciated.
Did you end up getting everything working on your 06LC outside of the hissing?

Did you end up getting everything working on your 06LC outside of the hissing?
No. My situation as it stands is no volume control on the knob, no radio control, no CD player control. No backup cam, but, I think that’s fixable.

I do have HVAC functions and my steering wheel controls seem to work.

The hissing is not acceptable. It’s really loud and really bad. If not for that, I would deal with the other problems.

To be fair, Dan has been working with me and corresponding from day one. He doesn't have a solution yet - but, he hasn’t left me stranded. I don’t know if I just have bad luck and it’s just me, or if it’s an 06 issue. I’m being patient and we’ll see where it all goes. I'd love for it to work out. Time will tell.

Is it safe to say that the installation process (wiring and transplanting the black box from the factory unit) is similar to what is shown in this video and this video? Obviously it is a different unit but the setup seems similar from what I am reading. The lack of clear installation instructions leaves me a bit hesitant.

[

Link to the second video is from my channel. If your tesla style head unit looks exactly the same size as shown in my video then the process of installation is pretty much similar regardless of whatever brand you are installing.

No. My situation as it stands is no volume control on the knob, no radio control, no CD player control. No backup cam, but, I think that’s fixable.

I do have HVAC functions and my steering wheel controls seem to work.

The hissing is not acceptable. It’s really loud and really bad. If not for that, I would deal with the other problems.

To be fair, Dan has been working with me and corresponding from day one. He doesn't have a solution yet - but, he hasn’t left me stranded. I don’t know if I just have bad luck and it’s just me, or if it’s an 06 issue. I’m being patient and we’ll see where it all goes. I'd love for it to work out. Time will tell.

I think you and I are in exact same boat as far as issues go. My hiss might not be as bad as yours or my hearing is worse. I've been working with Dan as well. I think it's fixable too.

For those who successfully installed the Teyes rear view camera, where behind the dash did you tap power? All the YouTube videos indicate a wire called "back" is 12V power, but I don't see such a labeled wire on the Teyes. Assuming you installed it onto the lower split gate, did you drill a hole behind the license plate to run the wires into the car? Thanks!

Edit: Looks like the Teyes camera page has a diagram showing exactly where to tap power. Would still like to know how folks ran wires.

Last edited:
Installed one of these today in my 2004 HDJ100 to replace a GROM V-Line. The HVAC sort of works - pressing buttons changes air flow and air temperature, cycles AC etc, but the TEYES display never changes from e.g. 17.5c and the buttons don't give any visual indication of being selected. Is that what everyone else is seeing? I've done multiple factory resets, reboots, set CAN to null cycles etc. I've tried installing the can updates, but the first one always fails to install.

Steering wheel controls also don't work, and of course the reversing camera.

It's a really nice interface, and sound quality seems good, but the lack of feedback in the HVAC UI is a pita.

Installed one of these today in my 2004 HDJ100 to replace a GROM V-Line. The HVAC sort of works - pressing buttons changes air flow and air temperature, cycles AC etc, but the TEYES display never changes from e.g. 17.5c and the buttons don't give any visual indication of being selected. Is that what everyone else is seeing? I've done multiple factory resets, reboots, set CAN to null cycles etc. I've tried installing the can updates, but the first one always fails to install.

Steering wheel controls also don't work, and of course the reversing camera.

It's a really nice interface, and sound quality seems good, but the lack of feedback in the HVAC UI is a pita.

At first, yes, and exactly as you describe. But at some point reboots fixed mine (or a hard reset, like unplugging the power connector).

It was working/responding before any software updates. The only thing I noticed after the updates was that I got temps in ºF instead of ºC.

So I made some progress tonight. I had one female harness plug that didn't seem to match anything on the radio or AC. There is a "network gateway computer" module mounted behind the radio on the firewall. The female harness matches the single plug going into that module. When I in plug the harness going into the middle and connect it to the remaining female connector, the hissing goes away and the antenna begins to work as it should with the Teyes radio app. Volume knob and tuning knob still don't work.

Unfortunately, the AC becomes unresponsive at that point. When I reconnect the computer module plug back into the module, the hiss returns and the AC starts working.

I tried factory resetting again and adjusting canbus settings as well. Even did the canbus updates, still wouldn't work with those plugs connected.

PXL_20220625_173232002.jpg
PXL_20220625_173248165~2.jpg

So I made some progress tonight. I had one female harness plug that didn't seem to match anything on the radio or AC. There is a "network gateway computer" module mounted behind the radio on the firewall. The female harness matches the single plug going into that module. When I in plug the harness going into the middle and connect it to the remaining female connector, the hissing goes away and the antenna begins to work as it should with the Teyes radio app. Volume knob and tuning knob still don't work.

Unfortunately, the AC becomes unresponsive at that point. When I reconnect the computer module plug back into the module, the hiss returns and the AC starts working.

I tried factory resetting again and adjusting canbus settings as well. Even did the canbus updates, still wouldn't work with those plugs connected.

View attachment 3052263View attachment 3052265

Huh. I never could find a place for that plug, and it's just hanging free back there.

@JJ_SC I’m moving the conversation here to keep the other thread clean.

I found a facia over a year ago via eBay and just last week was able to track down the matching head unit. I had no idea Teyes existed until the day before mine arrived.

Luckily mine is a factory no nav so I don’t have to deal with HVAC. It isn’t perfect, it’s got a tiny bit of Chinese glitchiness going on but for the meager price I’m SUPER happy with the outcome. It’s leagues better than the old off brand head unit that was in there. My close friend is a pro at this audio/video stuff (and he’s a cruiser guy) so he handled the install.
7BACD932-D1BD-4D89-B7C3-67F30AE80FB6.jpeg

The only issue I’m having is that the head unit won’t talk to the steering wheel controls. It would be really nice to have my volume buttons working again. Does anyone have an idea where to start?

@JJ_SC I’m moving the conversation here to keep the other thread clean.

I found a facia over a year ago via eBay and just last week was able to track down the matching head unit. I had no idea Teyes existed until the day before mine arrived.

Luckily mine is a factory no nav so I don’t have to deal with HVAC. It isn’t perfect, it’s got a tiny bit of Chinese glitchiness going on but for the meager price I’m SUPER happy with the outcome. It’s leagues better than the old off brand head unit that was in there. My close friend is a pro at this audio/video stuff (and he’s a cruiser guy) so he handled the install.
View attachment 3052655
The only issue I’m having is that the head unit won’t talk to the steering wheel controls. It would be really nice to have my volume buttons working again. Does anyone have an idea where to start?

Click settings goto steerwheel and do the setup. Try Teyes website for instructions as well.

Reactions: GTV
@GTV - what a score on the 07 without nav! That's gotta be pretty rare.

Anyway, I think you might need the canbus adapter to get the steering wheel functions to work. Did it come with one? I found this the other day while digging around looking for fixes: 72.43US $ |SKYFAME Car Wiring Cable Adapter Canbus For Lexus LX470 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 LC100 High Level Wiring Harness With Canbus Box| | - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803915725482.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.912e62f8zJyJpH&algo_pvid=30c8d7c8-f493-42eb-9ea1-0f91209b2125&algo_exp_id=30c8d7c8-f493-42eb-9ea1-0f91209b2125-0&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000028040436844%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21%2172.43%21%21%21%21%21%402132e4d416572387808373200ec762%2112000028040436844%21sea

It looks suspiciously like the one that Teyes includes. I don't know - I'm out of my element here, so, just guessing. I know that places like Crutchfield will provide one to hookup replacement stereos and retain steering wheel functions. But, they are specific to the new head unit.

Good luck with it! Maybe someday this will all be as easy as it's supposed to be!

Edit: For what it's worth, I'm not trying to undermined Teyes. I think he's got a good package going and it seems to only be a couple of us who are having issues. And he's been responsive and working with us. So, nothing to complain about.

Reactions: GTV
So the Teyes camera product page has a nice diagram showing where to tap acc power TEYES Sony Lens Reverse Backup Camera 1080p - https://teyes.com/products/teyes-car-rear-view-camera-universal-backup-parking-camera-night-vision-waterproof-ahd-color-image, but it's basically useless as the back of my unit doesn't look like the diagram at all. Unfortunately I'm still stuck trying to figure out which wire to tap for 12v.

teyes_back.jpg

Here's what the back looks like without most of the accessories plugged in. The black wire with the yellow plug is the camera-in and there's two blue wires in that connector, but they are both closed so don't even know why they are there at all.

So the Teyes camera product page has a nice diagram showing where to tap acc power TEYES Sony Lens Reverse Backup Camera 1080p - https://teyes.com/products/teyes-car-rear-view-camera-universal-backup-parking-camera-night-vision-waterproof-ahd-color-image, but it's basically useless as the back of my unit doesn't look like the diagram at all. Unfortunately I'm still stuck trying to figure out which wire to tap for 12v.

View attachment 3053776
Here's what the back looks like without most of the accessories plugged in. The black wire with the yellow plug is the camera-in and there's two blue wires in that connector, but they are both closed so don't even know why they are there at all.

That diagram (linked from their site) doesn't have the ports in the same place as yours (or mine). But all you need is the power connector that they're calling G (provides power to the H/U). If you trace those pins, you should get to G3 and G5 like the diagram shows. You'll need those, but that's for screen switching so the video image pops in automatically when you engage reverse. The included video wire matches the red/yellow in the diagram.

In other words, forget the layout specifics of their diagram, but the connections are right. On the H/U side, vampire tap G3 and G5, run the video wire out back. Loop/connect the reds together, and find a ground source (black) and the +12V (yellow). The wire colors in their diagram did match mine—red and brown for G3 and G5.

Power to the camera itself comes from your reverse wires, at least according to their diagram. It's the yellow wire, and you can tap into anything that goes hot when you engage reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom