FJ40 Aftermarket Wiring Harnesses.... Which one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll spare you the gory details, but... my '71 FJ40 currently finds itself without a wiring harness. Well, it's still here... but now it's on the hood instead of under it (and the dash and wherever else).

Good news: All the wiring was cut and/or pulled from the original components, which are all still in place. In most instances, color coded wiring is still on the backs of said buttons, knobs, lights, etc.

Medium news: It's a Chevy swap, so a few deviations from the original wiring diagram, but shouldn't be a ton.

Bad news: I've never done this before. And I fired the kid who ripped it all out after I realized he was about to get in way over his head (and my budget).

I've got no interest in trying to rebuild the harness from scratch, so looking for something off the shelf, as it were. Painless was recommended, but they just informed me that they have disco'd the one they had been making for the FJ40.

Who else would you recommend?

First thing, get your wiring diagram from this link. It will come in handy even if you are installing aftermarket.

There are quite a few options, but as you have surmised, they are generic. Your Chevy swap actually helps you here. If you have a Chevy steering column swapped in, that also helps as most generics are based off Chevy schematics.

Search here on Mud. Many guys have done this already. Maybe a couple will chime in.

First thing, get your wiring diagram from this link. It will come in handy even if you are installing aftermarket.

There are quite a few options, but as you have surmised, they are generic. Your Chevy swap actually helps you here. If you have a Chevy steering column swapped in, that also helps as most generics are based off Chevy schematics.

Search here on Mud. Many guys have done this already. Maybe a couple will chime in.
Cool. And thanks for the link. I've got that in hand already and ordered up one of the fancy color reference posters as well.

Searched a bit but haven't seen a whole lot of recent. Will give another look.

Also, not entirely sure what you mean by steering column... it's all toyota from the floor up.

If it were mine...lol
I would keep your stock wiring and connections. Get ahold of this guy and he'll help you resolve your issues, if you decide to keep the stock wire harness.

good luck

If it were mine...lol
I would keep your stock wiring and connections. Get ahold of this guy and he'll help you resolve your issues, if you decide to keep the stock wire harness.

good luck
This guy must be the sorcerer supreme when it comes to FJ40‘s, as everybody is pointing me in his direction. Already got an email out to him, thinking exactly what you were thinking!

Thanks!

Also, not entirely sure what you mean by steering column... it's all toyota from the floor up.
Many have swapped in an older GM tilt steering column like the hot rod guys use.

Maybe this will get you started...

thanks
Really odd… I searched “wiring harness” specifically and literally nothing came up. Kept thinking how weird that would not be all over the forum.

And I swear I know how to use a search bar!!!

Use google to search the forum. Much better than the search bar.

My vote is for build it yourself. You’ll learn a ton about wiring. The money for a painless harness will cover good tools and supplies for the harness. And you’ll be able to troubleshoot any issues you have in the future.

I did a build that has links to point you in the right direction on how to wire things and show you what I ran into. It’s a straight read. Wiring specific links are at the end.

Search for coolerman and check out what he has to offer for the correct wiring colors and gauges.

Start a build thread and members will be glad to help guide you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom