Need help making sense of my oil setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruisingTheLand

SILVER Star
Threads
Relatively unknown history but its a 3/73 body and looks like 1F motor, except block SN indicates 9/74 build. Oil filter is on passenger side. Oil pump looks like the old style but having a hell of a time finding a replacement. Can I use the later model oil pump? And screen style? Trying to chase low oil pressure (both on gauge and top end not getting oil at idle at least). Could this be some odd Frankenstein’s monster of parts that is not set up properly? Pics attached
737D52A4-AEEC-4BD5-9DAA-A8ABD45C5E16.jpeg
764EA42F-141D-4276-892D-ACB2107FEB58.jpeg
45873E9F-C545-4016-8DD2-EDCECB92C39B.jpeg
AB78E4C4-E753-4F91-B501-D5EAF121D595.jpeg
C26CE128-C28D-49E2-A0C0-ED138F2EFB81.jpeg

Relatively unknown history but its a 3/73 body and looks like 1F motor, except block SN indicates 9/74 build. Oil filter is on passenger side. Oil pump looks like the old style but having a hell of a time finding a replacement. Can I use the later model oil pump? And screen style?
That would be the Late F engine then. I'm pretty sure that the 2F oil pump will fit.
Before that though, measure the gap between the gears in the oil pump with a feeler gauge. Compare to tolerances listed in the FSM. You can also pull one of those gears out and flip it, perhaps get a few decades more service out of it.

That would be the Late F engine then. I'm pretty sure that the 2F oil pump will fit.
Before that though, measure the gap between the gears in the oil pump with a feeler gauge. Compare to tolerances listed in the FSM. You can also pull one of those gears out and flip it, perhaps get a few decades more service out of it.
Thanks. Tolerances for tip clearance and backlash are way out of “standard” but not quite at the limit. Gonna go ahead and replace

Thanks. Tolerances for tip clearance and backlash are way out of “standard” but not quite at the limit. Gonna go ahead and replace
I was told by Yoda1 Performance the 2F oil pump will work with F motor when I had my F motor rebuilt, the internals of oil pan will need notching; this was in regards to if my oil pump was bad. Yota1 was recommended to me by Valley Hybrids (Georg- @orangefj45) ask for Nic, he is their in house F/2F motor expert.

Yota1 Performance Engine & Machine - Your Toyota needs all in one place! - https://209yota1.com/

Magnetic would suggest the iron block🤞 -so hopefully not too much wear. Non-ferrous would be stuff like bearings, etc. 🤞🤞

Just for reference. I spoke to Classic Cruisers, BTB, Mosley, Redline land cruisers and Yoda1 for a quote on rebuilding in 2020. They were all very comparable. Shipping to CC in CO, Mosley Motors in TN, Redline in CO were around $800 one way from CA. BTB is 3 hours away from me, but then Georg -Valley Hybrids (got back from helping others) (@orangefj45) called me back-that's who he uses and that's how I ended with Yoda1 which is 1 hour away. Btw, they are all backed up, but not one of these vendors hesitated my call. (I had lost Cam's # of Mosley :( at the time)

Thanks a ton for the info. I’m not totally opposed to a rebuild, but wish it happened after the fall when didnt wanna drive around topless anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom