Brake Service: From dealership or something like Firestone Auto Repair shop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Friends: Looking for your opinion on the brake service. Just noticed that steering wheel wobbles a bit when applying brakes. I think Brake service is the order. Question is: Should I go to the dealer or a local auto repair shop will be okay? In the past i had vehicles ( mainly Subaru(s) ) taken to Firestone for Brake services. Would appreciate your advise.

Any competent mechanic can do the brakes on a LC, but I suggest using Toyota parts. Is ordering the parts (pad, rotors, and hardware) yourself and taking them to your Firestone place to install an option for you?

Just noticed that steering wheel wobbles a bit when applying brakes.
Pardon my intrusion, i know nothing about 200s. Never even sat on one.
But, i have learned that a slight steering wheel wobble when applying brakes can also be due to a loose or worn steering component.
Sure, it can also be a sign of warped rotors.
I think first I'd get a definite diagnosis.
You can lie under the front and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth; look, listen and feel for unwanted motion in your parts and pieces.
Perhaps Firestone can measure or otherwise assess the run-out in your rotors while they're still on the vehicle? Perhaps a test-drive by Firestone tech could help rule-in what's needed.
Do you also feel a corresponding pulsing in the brake pedal when the steering wheel wobbles?
I think you need more information before throwing parts in it.

Many shops will offer to turn the rotors, I’d highly recommend against this as it removes metal that helps act as a heat sink against brakes getting hot in the future.

Brand new Genuine Toyota rotors are about $65 each online, most likely cheaper than (possibly half as much as) the Chinese made aftermarket junk they’ll try to put on.

Beyond that most of it is just unbolting the old stuff and bolting new parts on. The one complicating factor is if you live where they salt the roads and corrosion of parts, especially the rear brake backing plates, can be an issue.

To avoid uneven pad deposits on the rotors in the future try to leave room to creep forward if you have to stop quickly from freeway speeds. Most of this “warping” actually just uneven pad deposits on the rotors caused by the hot rotor sitting still under the brake pads being clamped in one place at a stop light. The slightly greater material in one spot then gets hotter than the rest with subsequent braking and leaves more deposit, becoming a positive feedback loop. Prevent the uneven deposition of brake pad in the first place and then you’ll only be replacing parts when they actually wear out.

I’m not sure what your comfort level is with a DIY repair but brakes are not very difficult and can be done at home with OEM parts at a fraction of the cost you’d pay a shop. I only recommend this seeing as how you don’t already have a mechanic that you trust.

I’m not sure what your comfort level is with a DIY repair but brakes are not very difficult and can be done at home with OEM parts at a fraction of the cost you’d pay a shop. I only recommend this seeing as how you don’t already have a mechanic that you trust.
Thank you all for suggestions. I have not done this kind of stuff so not very comfortable replacing them myself. I called several dealerships and their quote is anywhere from 299+ per Axle and that too aftermarket pads and resurfacing the rotors. OEM is $420+ per axle.

Please don't ever take any vehicle to Firestone. Find a reputable local shop, preferably one that works on Japanese vehicles only. Ask friends for a shop recommendation, or even use Google reviews. Firestone is bottom of the barrel, just stay away.

Please don't ever take any vehicle to Firestone. Find a reputable local shop, preferably one that works on Japanese vehicles only. Ask friends for a shop recommendation, or even use Google reviews. Firestone is bottom of the barrel, just stay away.
This x10

its a fairly simple DIY... really he only sorta complicated thing is depressing the pads back into the calipers to get the new ones in. The Rotors come off with 2x M6 bolts screwed in from the outside to press them off.. and remembering to locktite the calipers bolts when reinstalling. Use OEM parts, the rotors are cheap enough that turning them makes no sense. last time I did it, it took about 2 hours for the front set... probably less. if you take it to a shop, either bring the OEM parts or have them use them. the dealer typically charges $4-600 for the same job, parts are maybe $250 ish... (2x rotors at ~$65, and pads at $60ish for the fronts)

its a fairly simple DIY... really he only sorta complicated thing is depressing the pads back into the calipers to get the new ones in. The Rotors come off with 2x M6 bolts screwed in from the outside to press them off.. and remembering to locktite the calipers bolts when reinstalling. Use OEM parts, the rotors are cheap enough that turning them makes no sense. last time I did it, it took about 2 hours for the front set... probably less. if you take it to a shop, either bring the OEM parts or have them use them. the dealer typically charges $4-600 for the same job, parts are maybe $250 ish... (2x rotors at ~$65, and pads at $60ish for the fronts)
Loctite on caliper bolts, is this a Toyota thing? I’ve done lots of brake jobs and never done this.

If you don't have the skill, tools or time, $850 doesn't seem horrible for all four corners at a dealer with Toyota parts. Like others, I'd avoid the generic chain repair shops, leaning toward a independent shop that knows Toyotas, but a dealer might be worthwhile for peace of mind. Definitely pass on turning rotors, the Toyota rotors are cheap, and well made. Stock pads are quiet and work well enough on a stock payload, street driven vehicle.

There is no need for thread locker on toyota caliper bolts if you use the published torque values.

As others have mentioned, this is an incredibly easy DIY job. Lots of how-to’s that give you step by step instructions. I did mine last year with PowerStop cross-drilled rotors. Took me about 4 hours total and was very straight forward.

It’s about a 2-banana job on the difficulty scale. If you have a DIY shop in your area, the owner is likely a cool dude who’d happily help you out if you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom