Anyone repaint their ARB at home successfully to a fresh satin black? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to pull both ARBs off as they're a tired dull grey after 20 years in the elements. Looking for tips on what folks have done to make them look new again at home with rattle cans, etc. I'm looking for the original satin black look. As they both sit outside, UV protection in the paint is a must. Thanks!!!

I recall a few people using John Deere machinery paint (probably has a more snazzy name). I opted for the satin enamal from Rustolium. Went on great and stayed great for the 3 years i had the bumper. Wasn't expensive back then but i bet it is now...

I kept mine on the truck, wire wheeled what I could get to (most of it), and hit them with Rustolium Rust Converter in satin black (just what I had, Raptor liner or similar would be much better)
Still look ok after a couple years, tho I expect this to be a regular process every 4 or 5 years ...

As like others, I lightly sanded the original powder coat and then hit it with rustoleum. Except I use gloss black rather than satin because after a year in the California sun the gloss always fades to a satin like finish and the smoother gloss sheds dirt better.
I also wouldn't recommend a clear coat either. I clear coated the rear bumper and despite using a 4K uv resistant clear, it still began to oxidize after a couple years.

Pascoscout - greetings from Coeur d'Alene. So, how many cans did it take for 1 bullbar? And did you clearcoat yours?

Yeah- 3 years in on my front bumper…. It has not held up very well. I am disappointed in the quality/durability of the factory finish. I plan on pulling it & having a local powdercoat shop blast & re-finish.

John Deere Blitz Black with Valspar hardener, shot out of an HVLP gun. Wear a fresh VOC respirator or the hardener will destroy your lungs (isocyanates).

If you want to get fancy, start by sanding it down with ~320 grit and apply epoxy primer. Your local automotive paint supply store can mix it up in black.

The only rattle-can option that will even begin to compare is custom-mixed, two-part spray cans that contain isocyanates. You push a button on the bottom, which releases the component that initiates curing.

Pascoscout - greetings from Coeur d'Alene. So, how many cans did it take for 1 bullbar? And did you clearcoat yours?
My front bumper, similar in size to the ARB, takes about 2 cans to recoat. I do not clear coat.

I do recoat all my stuff every other year though. That's less from fading and more from covering up trail damage to prevent rust. I'd venture the clear coat is unnecessary. Either of those paints have UV protection built in and if they did start to oxidize you could use a little rubbing compound and a coat of wax to freshen them up again.

OK, thanks. I'll buy 5 cans for 2 bumpers and return if I don't need it all.

I had my sand blasted (it was pretty scratched up and had to be straightened/reinforced on the bottom edge) and used a coat or 2 of primer prior to painting with 4/5 cans of Rust Oleum Satin black.

Very happy with the results a year+ later!

I have used VHT on my 40 and had good results.

A91BF17D-B020-435F-9C15-EB281EEBC033.jpeg

D34D22E8-69FD-48C8-81C1-F4088B622250.jpeg

AAD1E74D-A52C-4D01-9AF0-B08C8543BF39.jpeg

Last edited:
I had my sand blasted (it was pretty scratched up and had to be straightened/reinforced on the bottom edge) and used a coat or 2 of primer prior to painting with 4/5 cans of Rust Oleum Satin black.

View attachment 3051833

View attachment 3051834

View attachment 3051836

View attachment 3051840
Is that satin or semigloss that you used? I’m about to paint my metal tech roll cage trying to decide between the two sheens. Think I’m going to use the same oil based rust oleum. Also, I may brush it rather than spray.

Is that satin or semigloss that you used? I’m about to paint my metal tech roll cage trying to decide between the two sheens. Think I’m going to use the same oil based rust oleum. Also, I may brush it rather than spray.

Good catch!

I actually used Satin.

Lately, the Satin has become hard to find, however, I did manage to pick up a couple of cans of Satin at the local Ace hardware to keep for touch up purposes.

I don’t think there would be much difference in the semi gloss and satin unless you mixed the 2 on the same surface, at this point I would choose the one that I could find easiest.
FA203B34-D044-416B-B1B5-62AB9C8DC40D.jpeg

I blasted both my front ARB bumper and my rear Slee bumper myself using medium glass bead at home. I then used Dupli-Color self-etching primer (3 coats) and then the Dupli-Color Fleet Coating Hi-Build Semi-Gloss top coat (3 coats). I did the front bumper probably 6-8 yrs ago and I’m very pleased with how it has held up. It is just starting to rust around some chips and tight corners. I did my rear bumper a few years ago, but only installed it last year. I made the mistake of using Gloss instead of Semi-Gloss on the rear as the cans are identical except one digit on the SKU.

9F8C49D2-BCFE-438B-AC3F-6BD8A33D682E.jpeg
A5A824A5-9AA7-48D3-A58B-B0DC4A76347E.jpeg
51505737-8C37-46B5-AD90-9D9A3801DB86.jpeg
B1F4764F-92D8-41E9-867A-06C957EE9927.jpeg
E9F44B05-B16F-4720-86FE-14F03E38525D.jpeg

View attachment 3051836

View attachment 3051840
Where did you get that light bracket for the S2 Pros? I really like that setup.

Where did you get that light bracket for the S2 Pros? I really like that setup.
Thank you!

A good friend designed and CNC’d them for me at his manufacturing company.

Several folks have expressed interest and we have discussed running a few more sets when his machines aren’t running overnight.

I will update the current list as we get an idea of cost and timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom