Has anybody changed the color from silver to a solid one ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that it is not adviseable - but I actually don't like metallic paints - and my pride and joy is silver. I love solid colors.
20220704_130311[1].jpg
20220704_130320[1].jpg
20220704_130338[1].jpg

The sun has made the clearcoat cracking and disapearing in flakes.
The truck has been partly repainted in silver previously. Long story short - sooner or later I'll need a new paintjob.
So which color to choose to minimise the obvious negative effect of that mixmatch ?
Grey seems to be logical - parts of the body seemed to have changed to a flat grey anyway. I'd also love white (with stripes!) or a pastel bluegrey like some of the commercial smaller trucks like Toyota Dyna or Nissan Atlas have.
Please come up with thoughts and pics if you have.

I'm in the process of a color change at the moment, took me over a year to decide. After testing a few panels with different choices, finally decided on Dark Emerald Frost (from a 2022 CT5-V Blackwing) after seeing locally and testing yet another panel.

Good luck, 2nd hardest decision I had to make regarding the 60=)

Looks cool that way, now you don't have to worry about scratches. At least it’s not rust.

Here is the paint on my Toyota pickup, it’s aftermarket and looks really good. I want to get a similar thing done on the cruiser, but I can’t afford it.

23762293-71A1-4108-816C-89C3F234B3C5.jpeg

Have you considered a vinyl wrap ? You can do the whole rig for around $500 and it will last for about 4-5 years. A friend did his Dodge Power Wagon and I could'nt tell it wasn't paint. You just have to buff it smooth and they do the rest. They have almost any color . wraps

Not really - I thought the sort of rough old surface would not work with wrap. Do you know how wrap will cope with a scratchy offroad enviroment ?
I would not stop using my truck offroad after a new paintjob and she would get new scratches right away. Could imagine that some of the dry bush sticks would be able to damage it.

Not really - I thought the sort of rough old surface would not work with wrap. Do you know how wrap will cope with a scratchy offroad enviroment ?
I would not stop using my truck offroad after a new paintjob and she would get new scratches right away. Could imagine that some of the dry bush sticks would be able to damage it.
I haven't done it myself but my friend gives it hell on his dodge. You will get the same results as paint for scratches and such. Call someone local to you and let them expalin the process and answer your questions, a lot of shops do it commercially on cement trucks and such so I would think the install would work for off road just fine & also hold up. Door and bumper decals hold up and they are vinal.

Just checked and here in New Zealand the wrap job is several thousand dollars - too much for me if it doesn't lasts longer... I'll check out the DIY option though.
I think that I'm leaning towards old school paint.
Which solid color (number) would be the closest to silver ?

My vote is to leave it and use this:

I think our rigs look good a little “weathered”, just my opinion

Just checked and here in New Zealand the wrap job is several thousand dollars - too much for me if it doesn't lasts longer... I'll check out the DIY option though.
I think that I'm leaning towards old school paint.
Which solid color (number) would be the closest to silver ?
How about silver carbon fiber ? One of a kind there I would suspect.
DIY videos : Silver-4D-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Film-Wrap.html

Thank you for the input Letsrollem and 69FJ40HILIX !
But I rather leave the paint like it is now - always happy though when a new portion of the clearcoat flies off. Anybody nows how to accelerate the process ?
The paintjob is somehow the last big thing to do - have rebuild most of the running gear and everything is running fine (knock on wood).

Still curious about a "matching" grey. Yesterday I found also Cadet Blue as a very tempting option. And I haven't found any 60 in this color... Was a 70s color for 40 series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom