Eureka dunes to Saline Valley via Steel Pass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
Another bit of video from my Mar 2022 DV trip. This section covers extracting a bogged Ram 4wd with 2 80s working together to winch him out. Then the drive through steel pass. Doesn't catch the dedeckera entrance since I forgot to turn the gopro on during that bit. Oh well, maybe next time :) A locked 80 with a lift and some rocker protection makes short work of it.

This was the morning after bumping into the socal 80 group camped at the Eureka dunes. Got some welcomed assistance to winch out the Ram. I tagged along with the group for a while, especially since I'd never been through dedeckera and steel pass before. Steel pass overall is just a dirt road, dedeckera is the only challenge part. Fun with a similarly minded group.

cheers,
george.

Another bit of video from my Mar 2022 DV trip. This section covers extracting a bogged Ram 4wd with 2 80s working together to winch him out. Then the drive through steel pass. Doesn't catch the dedeckera entrance since I forgot to turn the gopro on during that bit. Oh well, maybe next time :) A locked 80 with a lift and some rocker protection makes short work of it.

This was the morning after bumping into the socal 80 group camped at the Eureka dunes. Got some welcomed assistance to winch out the Ram. I tagged along with the group for a while, especially since I'd never been through dedeckera and steel pass before. Steel pass overall is just a dirt road, dedeckera is the only challenge part. Fun with a similarly minded group.

cheers,
george.

That's my favorite road in/out of Saline Valley. And the dunes are something else.

:cool:

The silt in the that area were the Dodge was stuck has gotten REALLY deep in the last few years.

The silt in the that area were the Dodge was stuck has gotten REALLY deep in the last few years.
And when it's wet...

I only found the silt issues in the northern area of DV. At least it's pretty easy to see the 'danger' and drive around it - assuming you have enough experience.

This was just south of the racetrack on hidden valley road. Indian family of 3 made a poor decision...

cheers,
george.

I only found the silt issues in the northern area of DV. At least it's pretty easy to see the 'danger' and drive around it - assuming you have enough experience.

This was just south of the racetrack on hidden valley road. Indian family of 3 made a poor decision...

cheers,
george.

Edit: That was a crowd! Exemplifies the dangers of traveling alone. Which I do most of the time...

:doh:

Last edited:
^ yep, first time through there, so much to explore.

At the southern end at altitude, there was still snow (well, ice) on the higher & shaded spots of the road.

Was also a decent cabin at the springs, camped for the night and used the cabin to have a nice shower (protected from the wind). Also became my kitchen for my stay. It's impressive that most of the cabins (habitable or not) had several gallon plastic jugs of water left - presumably the park services leave them sprinkled around. Also a 'log book' you can enter you scribbles into - that hopefully prevents folk needing to carve their stuff into the woodwork.

I'll be definitely planning more trips to DV, the 10 days I spent exploring opened my eyes to how much more there is to discover.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom