Strange issue with the power door lock function (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TurboDennis

SILVER Star
Threads
This issue has been bothering me for a couple of years now. The function to UNLOCK all the doors from the passenger side door only works intermittently. When it doesn't work, neither the button inside nor turning the key unlocks the doors. This leads me to believe that the issue is not related to the button nor the key switch inside the door lock mechanism. The function to LOCK always works.

At first, i thought the issue was totally random. But i just noticed a pattern: it doesn't work work only when the driver's door is locked. Always. When the drivers door is unlocked (either via key, or physically moving the lock knob inside), the unlock function from the passenger door starts to work.

Does anyone have any ideas? Im thinking that maybe there is an issue with the door lock ECU?

Do you have an alarm, and if so have you inspected its wiring?

When I bought my 80, I found that the old alarm was installed with those horrible Scotch-Lock things. Several of the wires in my driver's side kick-panel were severed, leading to intermittent or no connection.

Scotch-Lock.jpg

Do you have an alarm, and if so have you inspected its wiring?

When I bought my 80, I found that the old alarm was installed with those horrible Scotch-Lock things. Several of the wires in my driver's side kick-panel were severed, leading to intermittent or no connection.

View attachment 3047432

No. I removed all those horrible, evil things and repaired all the wiring as needed when i had all the wiring out of the truck on the bench.

My 94 behaves exactly the same way if I understanding you correctly. If vehicle is locked and I unlock via key from outside at the passenger door, the key will only unlock the passenger door but then even when open the inside button on passenger door won't unlock all the doors. It only functions to lock the passenger door. The double back keystroke via the drivers door will unlock everything.

Last edited:
At least yours are predictable. My 96 seems to function randomly, sometimes locking everything, sometimes unlocking everything, and occasionally honking the horn incessantly because I did something untoward such as unlocking the drivers side door with my key.

Having it lock me out with the keys in the ignition as it's last act of defiance because I couldn't learn it's wily ways has me concerned enough to carry a spare key in my wallet.

I'm not joking, either. It's like a woman, this locking system. An Italian woman.

In my 96 the rear doors used to work with remote, then I did something, not sure what at this point and one of the doors stopped locking or unlocking with remote. Then some years later, rear on the other side stopped working (maybe I did same thing as the previous door, not sure). Now I can only unlock front driver, passenger and rear gate with remote. Rear doors lock/unlock manually only. Not a big deal, I kind of got used to it, but would love regain functionality at some point of locking and unlocking all the doors with remote, someday.

Mine locked me out once and I ripped out the RS3000 Alarm system. If you still have that, tear it out.

I'm sure you are seeing normal Toyota logic for the door locks. Mine does the same thing but I couldn't tell the logic now. I've figured it out before but just don't remember.

It always happens to me when I make a quick stop and lock the wife/family in the car. When I come back and want my wife to unlock the door she can't do it from the passenger seat. I have to use the key to unlock.

I became conditioned when with the family during blizzards and downpours to toss any thought of politeness and head directly to the driver's door. That was the quickest 4-door ingress procedure.

Open the door that is giving you issues, using a screwdriver operate the latch in the door lock mechanism all the way so the 'system' thinks the door is locked. Then use the remote to operate the door locks while the door is open, try it several times moving the loom that bridges the gap between the door and the door pillar, the wire often breaks there and you may find the door locking part starts to work, repair is obvious, remember to operate the door handle to make the door latch release before closing the door.

Regards

Dave

I always use the alarm fob on my '94, but out of curiosity I tried the key yesterday. A single unlock of my passenger door unlocks all doors. Any number of unlocks of the driver's door only unlocks the driver's door. The alarm fob locks and unlocks all doors as expected. Obviously, something is off.

Interesting. No fob or alarm on my 94. I was just out messing with this and it is strange. Under certain situations (like drivers door unlocked all others locked) the double key swipe at passenger door WILL unlock all the doors/rear hatch. But if all the doors are locked, it does the above from the passenger side. Won't do anything cept unlock passenger door and inside button only functions to lock passenger door. Weird. Now it bugs me. :)

Just checked my 97 LX and 97 Land Cruiser. If the door is open, locked from the button on the door and then closed neither driver or passenger can unlock with the door button. Works this way from both driver and passenger side. When the key is put in the ignition and turned to on the locks clear and the door button works.

It could be the lock switch in the passenger door or even in the master switch.

Mine locked me out once and I ripped out the RS3000 Alarm system. If you still have that, tear it out.
I dont have the RS3000 system anymore, or any wiring related to it. Or any other remote entry system for that matter.
I'm sure you are seeing normal Toyota logic for the door locks. Mine does the same thing but I couldn't tell the logic now. I've figured it out before but just don't remember.

It always happens to me when I make a quick stop and lock the wife/family in the car. When I come back and want my wife to unlock the door she can't do it from the passenger seat. I have to use the key to unlock.
Neither the key nor the button on the passenger door works to unlock all the doors, if the drivers door is locked. It's definitely not the way it's supposed to be.
Open the door that is giving you issues, using a screwdriver operate the latch in the door lock mechanism all the way so the 'system' thinks the door is locked. Then use the remote to operate the door locks while the door is open, try it several times moving the loom that bridges the gap between the door and the door pillar, the wire often breaks there and you may find the door locking part starts to work, repair is obvious, remember to operate the door handle to make the door latch release before closing the door.

Regards

Dave
I dont have the remote entry system on my truck, so there is no fob. I also dont think the issue is wiring related, because the issue that im having is 100% consistent - "unlock all" function NEVER works from the passenger door if the drivers side is locked, and ALWAYS works when the drivers side is unlocked.
It could be the lock switch in the passenger door or even in the master switch.
It's definitely not the master switch, because i replaced it with a brand new OEM unit last year. And i don't think it's the lock switch inside the passenger door, because it ALWAYS works as long as the drivers side door is unlocked, as i described in the reply above.

@TurboDennis I dont have the remote entry system on my truck, so there is no fob. I also dont think the issue is wiring related, because the issue that im having is 100% consistent - "unlock all" function NEVER works from the passenger door if the drivers side is locked, and ALWAYS works when the drivers side is unlocked.

Mine does not have the OE alarm fob system, I binned it as it became so unreliable.

Having said that can you remember if the UNLOCK function actually ever did work on all doors? I say that as the drivers door has the 'master' control, I have just double checked my own 1994 HDJ 80, and using the key on the passenger door ONLY unlocks the passenger door if the rest are locked, if the drivers door is unlocked and the key is used on the passenger side all other doors unlock as per yours. I have never noticed before as I fitted the remote alarm 11 years ago, but my car works exactly the same as yours sooooo.

As an aside, today many modern cars if the key is used on the passenger door they do not UNLOCK all doors.

Regards

Dave

What about the door control relay inside the driver's door?

From my point of view I cannot remember the 'system' ever responding to the passenger door lock being opened with the key, just the door itself? As per my last it presently works as per the OP, perhaps this a 'market' thing?

Regards

Dave

That would be my guess as well, as per my original post. I think i have a used one laying around somewhere that i can swap to test.
From my point of view I cannot remember the 'system' ever responding to the passenger door lock being opened with the key, just the door itself? As per my last it presently works as per the OP, perhaps this a 'market' thing?

Regards

Dave

Im pretty sure that the unlock button (or turning the key) on passenger door should open all doors. Perhaps your truck has the same problem as mine?
Having said that can you remember if the UNLOCK function actually ever did work on all doors?

I cant remember if it ever worked properly on this truck. I've had this issue for years and i could never find the time to get to the bottom of this (until now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom