Custom rear heater location? or OEM location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ907Warrior

SILVER Star
Threads
My 1973 (FJ40 142066) Tub has the rear heater mounted under the driver seat, is this a OEM location, or someone's modification once upon a time?
Got to admit, I like it there more then in the center of the back between seats.
I have seen imports without the heater, but everything with a heater seems to be in the back.
Thoughts? Thanks!

1IMG_20220523_202320.jpg

No, not OEM location. Factory mounted it behind the front seats to provide some heat for any passengers.

This will give you a better idea of where it should be mounted:

IMG_2554_1024x1024[1].jpg

Image curtesy of City Racer.

Last edited:
I ran mine under the rear bench for a couple decades... much safer and it would cook rear passengers with an old sleeping bag over their laps. Top off in cold weather it was the bomb. I've since mover it back to a stock location because I've got a new rear bench that's removable and goes down to the floor.

The bench came out of a Thomas Jefferson (Hint only to avoid a riot), and it will fit perfectly between the fender wells, folds & tumbles, is easily removable, and is a reasonable weight. Unfortunately the seat I built in '91 is worse for wear.

Definitely a custom job. Previous owner apparently needed a butt warmer!

8/80+ Toyota did it right on models with buckets seats. Rear heater is under the center console. That's the route I'm going in my 79. Biggest disadvantage I see in under the driver's seat in 73-78 is the step in the floor and offset to one side. Passenger's side the fuel tank is there in stock configuration. But at least that could be centered of the fuel was relocated. The FJ55 and FJ60 both had the rear heater under the passenger seat. But no step in the floor to deal with. In my 68 FJ40 when I added a rear heater the fixed nuts offset the heater towards the right is it not centered.

Personally, I love the idea, orient the vents front to back and heat my feet and still send a few degrees back to the passengers. Been a while since I was on this site, need to catch up and this one is a good start!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom