Looking for advice: 1976 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for my first FJ and I’m considering making an offer on this one…think I can get it in the mid-20s. I’ve driven it…runs and drives well. Looks pretty clean inside/out without much rust (if any). Not sure I’m sold on the top, interior or the 5 speed trans. Interested in your thoughts or feedback.

Thanks and looking forward to being part of the FJ community!

Justin

This is a Columbia import. The top, no heater, air cleaner and no dash pad all say not a North America import. If your not familiar with the 40 series would have someone who is check it out. Most are imported to Florida. Would research how long ago it was imported and how long the current owner has had it. In ME lack of a heater would bother me.

This is a Columbia import. The top, no heater, air cleaner and no dash pad all say not a North America import. If your not familiar with the 40 series would have someone who is check it out. Most are imported to Florida. Would research how long ago it was imported and how long the current owner has had it. In ME lack of a heater would bother me.
It's got a heater, but they definitely plumbed it odd, can't figure where the cabin fan is just yet, haha! 3F hardlines (I've actually pondered this) to an odd spot on the firewall with a heater box. Another weird one is that it doesn't have power brakes, which makes me wonder if it really is a '76.

Trans/tcase is another big question.

Major pass for me as well.

You have to be careful with South and Central American Land Cruisers. They were typically worked hard and put away wet. They didn't have much in replacement parts so they would use used parts or parts from other similar type vehicles. The ad says the work was done in the US, do the have pics of what it looked like b4 the work was done? Usually there is a lot of short cuts and bondo repair in S/A 40's. The 5 speed is nice but I don't think it was offered in 1976. It maybe from a different vehicle. Heat was added, and the plumbing is creative. It has a single circuit master, if 1 component fails you will have no brakes. The top is pretty normal for s/a 40s. There should be a defined vertical body seam just behind the B pillar. This one seam looks filled in slightly. That could be a red flag of more hidden body issues. Pics of the bottom show new non stk fasteners with non stk holes drilled. I personally prefer USA spec 40s. Have you checked out the FAQs in the stickys at the beginning of this section. I believe there's a buying guide somewhere in there to help point you in the right direction. . Have you looked in the classified section. There are some good folks that do quality work on restorations and on vehicles that have been properly cleaned up mechanically and cosmetically. It takes some searching and work to find the right 40. Take your time, this site will be extremely helpful in your search. USA spec 40's usually demand higher prices and hold their value.

It seems to be presented truthfully. Curious why they put a fiberglass hood on it. The current offer is $17k, which is high in my opinion. I would want to know who the builder was.

If you can be patient, there are better vehicles out there.

It's got a heater, but they definitely plumbed it odd, can't figure where the cabin fan is just yet, haha! 3F hardlines (I've actually pondered this) to an odd spot on the firewall with a heater box. Another weird one is that it doesn't have power brakes, which makes me wonder if it really is a '76.

Trans/tcase is another big question.

Major pass for me as well.

Didn't look that close before posting. Have the heater box but what blower it has is a mystery. Did not read the description. . States Columbia and here ten years.. cover over the gas tank does not look stock but tank appears to be under the passenger seat. The rear sill looks 79+ by the rounded corners but no welded seam for E-78 or 79+ there. First thing to rust on a 40 series is the rear sill which is where the first place to check the quality of work done. Ten years ago good replacement sills were available for both style. This I would check with a fine tooth comb. Bondo is well known to cover poor workmanship.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I’m definitely going to read through the buyers guide so I’m somewhat informed as I keep searching. I’ll also check the classified adds for current ones for sale. I’m also watching Bring A Trailer. I’m not looking for showroom collector…something original to drive and enjoy as well as tinker with on the weekends with my boys. Thanks again and look forward to being part of the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom