Edit - HDJ81 8" open 3rd for sale, 9.5" LSD 3rd sold. Link towards end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thoughts on what this diff is and it’s value? - SOLD to someone else

88AF8D8E-5FDE-46D9-A8F9-9703F825D166.jpeg

Any good?

Used price?

Last edited:
If it's an 80 series front high pinion e-locker I'd be all over it like a fat kid on candy.
I gather it was an open diff in the front and LSD rear in the 80 series. They have been removed in favor of lockers.

I gather it was an open diff in the front and LSD rear in the 80 series. They have been removed in favor of lockers.
That's what I thought. Just wasn't sure if they were from same truck. The high pinion 8" diffs are very popular with the mini truck crowd though, so should be easy to sell. I know graham wants one. @Gsb15

That's what I thought. Just wasn't sure if they were from same truck. The high pinion 8" diffs are very popular with the mini truck crowd though, so should be easy to sell. I know graham wants one. @Gsb15
Any guess on their values?

No, not really. Depends on buyer etc. Maybe $1000 for elock one and $300-500 for open one?
Unfortunately it’s not an E-Locker… only a limited slip. General consensus seems to be that they are cheap(ish) to rebuild but the clutch discs only last a few years. Seller says it was working when he pulled to replace with lockers.

An E-locker would be a no brainer… especially since the add has a $200 tag on it. I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra effort and expense to swap gears on it and set it up for my truck.

Would you advise a LSD for the front or rear of the other end is open?

I’ve seen some suggest LSD front with a rear locker, but with an open rear I’d be concerned about weird on road handling in slippery conditions. I know what to expect with a LSD rear… front not so much.

The lsd is useless. You couldn't tell I have one.

I wouldnt spend money to install one.

Thanks, it sounds like it’s not worth the effort to install it… for any price.

Have you ever replaced the clutch discs?

No. Because everything I've read says it's barely noticeable. I'm going to pull mine and throw a lokka in it and run a selectable up front.

I have a cruiser 9.5" 4.1 LSD diff sitting in a bucket in the shed. Removed it years ago because of a loose pinion flange. I read somewhere it's possible to shim the clutches up really tight so that in engages more firmly, might experiment with that one day.

It banged and clanked like a lockrite when I got the truck, could definitely tell it was there, but I don't think it was limiting very much slip.

After adding some of the limited slip additive it smoothed right out, but still. Didn't do a helluva lot.

Looks like it came from a FF. Have to roll it a bit to see but looks like a 2 pinion LS.
Not worth anything. I have 4 pinion LS in both my trucks. Can tell it’s there and they
work at nice slow speeds, but called a limited slip for a reason. Want a locker, buy a locker.

Looks like it came from a FF. Have to roll it a bit to see but looks like a 2 pinion LS.
Not worth anything. I have 4 pinion LS in both my trucks. Can tell it’s there and they
work at nice slow speeds, but called a limited slip for a reason. Want a locker, buy a locker.

You’re correct from a FF HDJ81.

The 9,5 is sold. 8” open is still for sale. Here’s a link if anyone is interested:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom