Builds 1992 FZJ75 Troopy - Project or Profit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
"So I tripped and fell and bought another Land Cruiser..."

It sounded like a good story, but my wife didn't fall for it. Nevertheless, I married well, so this wasn't really a necessary tale.

Back in December 2021 I got pinged about a Troopy... a 1992 FZJ75. I've been toying with grabbing another Troopy so I can get an "upgrade" to a 1FZ. The 3F has no problems... but the 1FZ-FE in my 80-series was incredibly robust and I've always thought a 1FZ in the Troopy would be the sweet spot. This Troopy got my attention... but I was prepared to be let down as I investigated further.

These are pretty typical photos that I'm sent for a "taste" of something available.

001 - forsale.jpg

002 - forsale.jpg

003 - forsale.jpg

004 - forsale.jpg

005 - forsale.jpg

006 - forsale.jpg

It presented as a typical sample of an Omani truck. It's been repainted. It's been kept running. It's a former school bus. The government has recently put a maximum age on vehicles used as school buses as well as some safety requirements... so a lot of these long-time school bus Troopy's are finding their way to market. I expressed some interest, enough to get a few more photos.

It's a 1FZ, 5-speed, AC-only truck. Odometer reading could have been rolled back... but also might not have. The typical buyers of these really isn't looking at the odometer much, so not a big motivation to roll back. Nonetheless, it does happen. We'll see what compression numbers tell me...

007 - odometer.jpg

008 - interior.jpg

009 - interior.jpg

010 - cabin.jpg

I asked for his price, he asked something way too high, I let it drop. Fast forward to February and he still has it. I ask him to go deeper on the photos. Several back-and-forth photo sessions of him sending a photo... me marking it up and asking for close-ups and more detail... and him sending another photo, etc.

Engine bay shows a new radiator and new carb, likely both Chinesium.
011 - enginebay.jpg

Hood has come apart from the brace, typical for the age.
012 - hoodbrace.jpg

Underside and wheel wells. Everything checked out for a non-coastal truck. Typical caking of fesh-fesh. Typical lack of rust for the arid mountainous areas these often saw service.
013 - frontaxle.jpg

014 - rearaxle.jpg

015 - fenderwell.jpg

016 - fenderwell.jpg

017 - fenderwell.jpg

018 - fenderwell.jpg

The biggest concern I have with Troopy's out of Oman... the rear floor. They often get Swiss-cheesed with rivets and screws from putting in diamond plate material... or they get pruned by repeated loading/unloading of personnel and equipment over and over. I'm also concerned about rust in the front foot wells. Pretty typical for 70-series of this age no matter the location/climate. For me it's a matter of how severe. @SNLC has really gone in depth on his builds which have helped me hone my pickiness on this issue.

Once I got the pics I wanted it seemed this was a good Troopy to move on.

019 - rearfloor.jpg

020 - rearfloor.jpg

021 - footwell.jpg

022 - footwell.jpg

023 - footwell.jpg

So I bought it in February... and it was scheduled to ship in March and that vessel canceled it's port call to Oman. So I've been waiting and we finally got another vessel lined up. Export work has been done and the truck will be loaded up on July 2.

Plans for this truck are somewhat up in the air.

I've bought it sight unseen, at least physically. The seller is a guy I've bought two other Troopy's from (my current 3F truck was the first I bought from him). I've got videos of it running, revving, etc. It's roadworthy. But I won't know what I've really got until it gets here. Three options running through my head right now...

1. I find it to be such a fantastic specimen that I sell my current Troopy and invest the proceeds into building this one out. A 1FZ would be sooooooo nice.
  2. I find it to be a less-than-fantastic specimen such that I don't want to redo so much of the work I've already done. I sell it and the proceeds go into my current Troopy.
  3. I sell my wife's 4Runner and we become an entirely solid-axle Land Cruiser family. While my wife actually drives manual quite well, this is nonetheless nothing more than a pipe dream option. Ha!

Here she is in line at the port waiting to load on to the RORO vessel.

024 - exportline.jpg

If my latest shipment of restored trucks is any indication... I won't see this truck until sometime in October.

Great news Honger, fingers crossed!

PS. Served in the Middle East too and been in Oman, I think I can feel your sentiments...

Last edited:
I vote for option #3.

Option 4? swap 1FZ to current troopy?

Slap a sniper on the 1FZ a'la Mosley motors build. Now you have a clean 1FZ sniper troopy and sell the other.

Put rims (hope you shipped some with it lol) and 255's, bigger shackles, roof rack, front bumper and sell on Bring a trailer for double what you are in for.
profit
Enjoy!

The 3F with an FZJ75 might hurt the value and raise some questions though.

in more seriousness, I'm not sure you can swap the 3F into the 92 troopy due to EPA/Importation rules. @gr8ful and I were chatting about this and he showed me this nugget:
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 3.42.11 PM.png

according to him: Anything other than a stock replacement motor, or a US certified one, invalidates the exemption.

He was saying this is true even after the vehicle is in the US. Is it enforced or actively sought out? No, but...it could be.

That said, it appears the 3F was available in 1992 so... Would it ever cause issues? Probably never. I would think you could say you pulled a US 3FE and used a carb setup if questions were asked. It gets a little gray and definitely not my expertise area. So if I understand correctly, you could legally put a 92 3FE and be in 100% compliance and no gray area, or any 92 and above US motor.

Personally, I would probably shine this one up and flip for some upgrades to your troopy. You've done all the hardwork on it, you'd have to start over again just to get a 1FZ. If you really wanted that 1FZ, there are ways to import an OEM carby, or there have been conversions from the US 1FZ-FE to carb. You can find 1FZ's in the US usually pretty easily, so a nicely built 1FZ, sniper setup would be sweet.

Option 4......keep them all :)

Nice truck!

I vote for option #3.

Somehow I don't think I'm going to get to hold a poll on Option 3. Ha!

That's awesome! I can't suggest what option is best, but I want a 1FZ for mine also

Yeah. Once it's here we'll see if the 1FZ is everything I dream it is... or better.

Option 4......keep them all :)

Nice truck!

That's AN option... but it also depletes my spending money on other projects. Better to have the cash to improve one Troopy than to have two beater Troopys... I think... probably... and these really are't beaters per say...

Nice find !

Thanks!

Option 5 or 6 or whatever one we are on - convince the wife to sell the 4-runner and get an 80 series. She is familiar with the 80, it's automatic and still solid front axle with a 1fz engine. If your wife needs convincing with that, I might be able to get my wife to help convince your wife to go that route although she might try to convince her to go for a 60 instead :D

Option 4? swap 1FZ to current troopy?

Slap a sniper on the 1FZ a'la Mosley motors build. Now you have a clean 1FZ sniper troopy and sell the other.

Put rims (hope you shipped some with it lol) and 255's, bigger shackles, roof rack, front bumper and sell on Bring a trailer for double what you are in for.
profit
Enjoy!

The 3F with an FZJ75 might hurt the value and raise some questions though.

in more seriousness, I'm not sure you can swap the 3F into the 92 troopy due to EPA/Importation rules. @gr8ful and I were chatting about this and he showed me this nugget:
View attachment 3046812
according to him: Anything other than a stock replacement motor, or a US certified one, invalidates the exemption.

He was saying this is true even after the vehicle is in the US. Is it enforced or actively sought out? No, but...it could be.

That said, it appears the 3F was available in 1992 so... Would it ever cause issues? Probably never. I would think you could say you pulled a US 3FE and used a carb setup if questions were asked. It gets a little gray and definitely not my expertise area. So if I understand correctly, you could legally put a 92 3FE and be in 100% compliance and no gray area, or any 92 and above US motor.

Personally, I would probably shine this one up and flip for some upgrades to your troopy. You've done all the hardwork on it, you'd have to start over again just to get a 1FZ. If you really wanted that 1FZ, there are ways to import an OEM carby, or there have been conversions from the US 1FZ-FE to carb. You can find 1FZ's in the US usually pretty easily, so a nicely built 1FZ, sniper setup would be sweet.

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to take on the scale of an engine swap project. But the thought had crossed my mind. And yeah, a 1FZ with a Sniper seems to be a pretty killer setup.

A the end of the day what got me to jump on this was proving a concept... that concept being the importation of a completely as-is vehicle. I've had several folks ask me if I can bring in a truck for them but few have the appetite for all the uncertainties that come with wiring money to a stranger and waiting on shipping and other arrangements to line up. So I figured I'd see what the baseline cost is for me to bring in a "project truck" to sell. But, it has a 1FZ... and that's compelling to me. Ha! Obviously there are others who do this, so I'm no pioneer in this space. Also, this just lets me play with more Cruisers.

Anyway... it won't be here til October, I've got time.

Hello,

Nice 75 Series. It looks in good shape despite the life it has lived.

You should convince the wife to sell the 4 Runner. It is easier to get one than it is to get an FZJ75. Yes, I recommend Option 3.

Get the radiator checked and the carburetor replaced by an OEM part. And then enjoy your Troop Carrier.

Juan

Just do it! Sell it and see how the venture works. I think you have too much time in your current ride so flip this one. Lhd will sell quick once on us soil and you document it. I'm waiting 2 years then might let you work your magic. I've met your dad so you can't be a bad apple. I'd trust wiring you a fistful of pesos

Looks lovely! You will really enjoy the 1FZ Troopy, mine has been great and with the 5 speed it does fantastic. It's nice to be able to buy a fair number of parts that are from US 80s as well, there are definietly a good amount of difference but still lots of crossover. Curious if you end up going the Sniper route, the carb has generally been solid in mine (even at altitiude with no compensator) but I am always debating swapping it out....

Nice Troopy. If it wasn’t already here that could be my Chas. Well except mine has the chrome mirrors.

View attachment 3047788
That Chas/Shas is from the same broker that did the Troopy, though another buyer. We did however coordinate on shipping to get a discount.

Just do it! Sell it and see how the venture works. I think you have too much time in your current ride so flip this one. Lhd will sell quick once on us soil and you document it. I'm waiting 2 years then might let you work your magic. I've met your dad so you can't be a bad apple. I'd trust wiring you a fistful of pesos
You know how to reach us! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom