Builds Bluebonnet - 5.3/H55 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Liam please wear your seatbelt!!

...because it sounds like your brakes are really really good.

Pfttt Seatbelt…. I’ve got a more comprehensive coverage in mind :flipoff2:

C1F92955-25F9-4B49-8E10-8B9006104C68.jpeg

Liam you have done an excellent job on your 40! Enjoy the fruits of your labor young man!! (I think you‘ve done your daddy proud ;) )
@Michael B at SAS2, you lit a fire in my boys with your truck and build. Hats off to ya. Thank you.

Edit: @POTATO LAUNCHER also enlightened my boys on V8s and a different perspective on reliability. At SAS2. I am a die hard TEQ fan because design obsolescence is not in their DNA. That said, waiting for a TEQ part from Australia/ Partsouq/ etc. while stranded up Imogene pass is not fun. Hitching a ride down to the closest local big box store where almost everything on the engine is “on shelf” is very appealing. Hell in the event of a catastrophic engine failure, dumpster dive in any local junk yard for a used replacement motor to get you home. GM made millions of these motors. Engine and parts are $cheap!!!! (@SipLife ’s motor with all accessories cost less than a 12v alternator for a 2H TEQ diesel 🥴) iMHO, thats a different way of looking at assurances on reliability. I must say that being around the LS engine it is well built. It’s well thought out. Easy to work on. So much goodness at the skinny pedal. Absolutely love it. I am glad @SipLife took this detour on motor choice.

Hats off to you as well Casey!

5DBD8F73-D97C-4419-8080-707E969DC501.jpeg

2F9281F1-E1DD-4E4D-B4A3-4FBBF210E717.jpeg

Last edited:
The plan is to make Bluebonnet a mechanically solid daily driver while preserving her original patina exterior and interior.

Current mechanical setup:

327 Corvette Engine
Toyota 3 on the floor transmission
Non-split case Transfer w/ Ebrake
Stock Front and Rear Drum Brake Axles
Selectro Locking Hubs
No Power Steering

Current Body Condition:

Hood, Fenders, Cowl, Aprons, Doors, Quarter Panels, and the Rear Hatch are in great condition with no cancerous rust or pitting.

Areas of Concern:

Rear Sill: Rust has eaten through a few layers of metal, but not all the way through. It also hasn’t wrapped around to the rear quarters yet.

View attachment 2017532

Barn Doors: The bottom edge of the Doors have been rusted through from the inside.

View attachment 2017533View attachment 2017534

Fiberglass Top: Several surface cracks and a few pin sized holes. Fiberglass fibers are exposed through the paint in some areas.

View attachment 2017536

This is where the fun begins: :grinpimp:

Future Mechanical Plan:

Get 327 Corvette engine running and put it up for sale. Then swap in a 2H 6 cylinder diesel motor.

Swap the 3 speed on the floor tranny for a 4 speed Toyota tranny.

Keep the same transfer w/ Ebrake

Swap the front drum axle components with fj62 front disk break components. Keep the stock rear drum axle.

Add 4WD Solid Axle Mini Truck Power Steering

Future Body Plan:

Wash the entire truck with soap and water, including the interior. Scrub the body with CLR to remove any oxidation from the OEM paint. Wax and Buff. Treat the Rear Sill and Lower Barn door sills with rust converter. Thanks for the Patina writeup @wngrog :)
Good plan!

@Michael B at SAS2, you lit a fire in my boys with your truck and build. Hats off to ya. Thank you.

Edit: @POTATO LAUNCHER also enlightened my boys on V8s and a different perspective on reliability. At SAS2. I am a die hard TEQ fan because design obsolescence is not in their DNA. That said, waiting for a TEQ part from Australia/ Partsouq/ etc. while stranded up Imogene pass is not fun. Hitching a ride down to the closest local big box store where almost everything on the engine is “on shelf” is very appealing. Hell in the event of a catastrophic engine failure, dumpster dive in any local junk yard for a used replacement motor to get you home. GM made millions of these motors. Engine and parts are $cheap!!!! (@SipLife ’s motor with all accessories cost less than a 12v alternator for a 2H TEQ diesel 🥴) iMHO, thats a different way of looking at assurances on reliability. I must say that being around the LS engine it is well built. It’s well thought out. Easy to work on. So much goodness at the skinny pedal. Absolutely love it. I am glad @SipLife took this detour on motor choice.

Hats off to you as well Casey!

View attachment 3041105

View attachment 3041106
All good CD. There is multiple ways to accomplish the same goals and your family has done that for sure. Having the tools and facilities to actually do what you enjoy is priceless. It's been fun watching both boys learning the proper way to do things and doing so in a top notch manner.
There is very little more satisfying than creating something that is both iconically recognized and practical for everyday use. Excellent job teaching them and giving them and others the freedom to create.
In the end it's about preserving these cool old trucks. Liam has hit it out of the park with Bluebonnet.
Slowly but surely people are starting to "drink the koolaid" including yourself. Happy to call you guys family.

image.jpg

We've gotta get Mike's 45 back out there for an updated photo with the boys. They're a wee bit taller now.

"The Holley Terminator X system is doing its job. Besides the minor screen issue I’ve had no problems. Would not really call it a “self-tuning” ecu though, seems like a bad marketing idea from Holley imo. My AFRs and idle ramp settings definitely need some adjustments from what I have seen so far."
-- I agree on the "self tuning" remark. Holley's Marketing arm got carried away for sure. I haven't seen one yet that worked its own bugs out all the way and drove well.

"Steering is dialed in. After the last toe in/out adjustment and steering damper install the rig tracks straight as an arrow. Before the damper install the steering was a bit over-responsive and the new Monroe unit seems to have solved that issue."
-- What are your alignment numbers?

"as much as I hate the idea of cutting my clean floors I have decided this truck will be getting a full roll cage tied into the frame as an added safety measure in the event of an accident."
--This is a good idea in general. People can't drive.

Last edited:
We've gotta get Mike's 45 back out there for an updated photo with the boys. They're a wee bit taller now.

"The Holley Terminator X system is doing its job. Besides the minor screen issue I’ve had no problems. Would not really call it a “self-tuning” ecu though, seems like a bad marketing idea from Holley imo. My AFRs and idle ramp settings definitely need some adjustments from what I have seen so far."
-- I agree on the "self tuning" remark. Holley's Marketing arm got carried away for sure. I haven't seen one yet that worked its own bugs out all the way and drove well.

"Steering is dialed in. After the last toe in/out adjustment and steering damper install the rig tracks straight as an arrow. Before the damper install the steering was a bit over-responsive and the new Monroe unit seems to have solved that issue."
-- What are your alignment numbers?

"as much as I hate the idea of cutting my clean floors I have decided this truck will be getting a full roll cage tied into the frame as an added safety measure in the event of an accident."
--This is a good idea in general. People can't drive.

I haven’t got a true alignment done on the truck yet. It’s on the list before SAS. Have only done toe in/out with some TMR adjusters at the shop.

Last edited:
I haven’t actually gotten a true alignment done on the truck yet. It’s on the list before SAS. Have only done toe in/out with some TMR adjusters at the shop.
Two straight edges and a tape is all it needs. If you can run 80 comfortably I’d say it’s good to go!

I haven’t got a true alignment done on the truck yet. It’s on the list before SAS. Have only done toe in/out with some TMR adjusters at the shop.

Curious to see what your caster numbers are. Too little would explain some of what you've described.

Curious to see what your caster numbers are. Too little would explain some of what you've described.
Correct me if I’m wrong Zach but I should ideally have a slightly negative caster to have a certain “dullness” to the steering input. This would imply I may be closer to 0 or slightly positive creating the “twitchy” sensation I was feeling? To be clear the truck does not “wander”, rather it was oversensitive at any sudden turn of the wheel.

I have 2deg steel shims in the barn😁

Correct me if I’m wrong Zach but I should ideally have a slightly negative caster to have a certain “dullness” to the steering input. This would imply I may be closer to 0 or slightly positive creating the “twitchy” sensation I was feeling? To be clear the truck does not “wander”, rather it was oversensitive at any sudden turn of the wheel.

I like to be at 3-4 degree minimum on 40/60's. If it doesn't have any shims in it throw some 4-degree shims in.

No need to go to an alignment shop.

Near 0 toe or toe-out can make a front end pretty twitchy too.

Took Hades and Bluebonnet down to @banieldowen ’s place to check out his latest 55 purchase. 65k documented original miles. All maintenance recorded down to oil changes and tire rotations. Even had the original service booklet with the original owner’s vehicle identification card and warranty. Primo to say the least.

28B808F4-D9CC-4291-B520-841F74DDAD1A.jpeg
A793320B-E0D3-4D9E-8ED0-1F7B1B044654.jpeg
93378510-F157-49FA-A870-7636AAED99B5.jpeg
7AC70B87-3B49-4578-B408-A0D1A29B3D07.jpeg
DFF22362-C0C3-41C5-9549-C6EEA900462B.jpeg
DB478491-BBCE-46FA-928D-2274FD83765F.jpeg

Last edited:
Have been driving Bluebonnet in the TX heat all summer. With outside temps getting up to 105 recently, ac became a top priority. Was told VA orders are backed up for 14 weeks. Luckily I was able to snag a gen IV high flow kit that @cwags12 had laying around. Thanks Clint! :)

08F7C069-8D79-46B5-AC21-1B28FB23B0B8.jpeg

Got the unit mocked up in the cab. Not sure why people think these interfere with leg room on the ps, plenty of clearance. Shifter clears the vents by 2 inches or so. One of the mounts near the glovebox interfered with my ecu so I had to fab up a bracket to mount it to an existing ecu mounting hole.

9ADF1B7E-DF63-412E-A273-F02CA3A7056A.jpeg
EA894D91-9F33-4F53-8168-6F21DF7A9281.jpeg
F68C5154-3632-4B62-BAF7-C63AB1D8D4DB.jpeg
DE384FDE-C61D-472A-A6D5-B68E690442B4.jpeg

Pulled my ac compressor, had to pull the mounting bracket too because it’s tight near the ps of the frame. I plan to run my lines using the stock denso compressor. That way I should be able to pick up a 4 seasons compressor from any Autozone or Oriley’s in the event it fails.

0242E8B3-499B-4A51-828F-523FB6EC3705.jpeg

Last edited:
Have been driving Bluebonnet in the TX heat all summer. With outside temps getting up to 105 recently, ac became a top priority. Was told VA orders are backed up for 14 weeks. Luckily I was able to snag a gen IV high flow kit that @cwags12 had laying around. Thanks Clint! :)

View attachment 3045985

Got the unit mocked up in the cab. Not sure why people think these interfere with leg room on the ps, plenty of clearance. Shifter clears the vents by 2 inches or so. One of the mounts near the glovebox interfered with my ecu so I had to fab up a bracket to mount it to an existing ecu mounting hole.

View attachment 3045987View attachment 3045986View attachment 3045989View attachment 3045988

Pulled my ac compressor, had to pull the mounting bracket too because it’s tight near the ps of the frame. I plan to run my lines using the stock denso compressor. That way I should be able to pick up a 4 seasons compressor from any Autozone or Oriley’s in the event it fails.

View attachment 3045990
The older fan sticks down a lot. Not a huge deal but more obtrusive than your High Flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom