Clean 62 Build Advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Light offroading and a bit of time on the beach. Most of our travels are getting to the trail head to ride the bike, hike or camp. Max budget - 15k.
Save up another 3 G’s and send it to me or any other shop for a Gen 3 LS conversion would be the best use of your budget for your goals in my opinion. :meh:

Light offroading and a bit of time on the beach. Most of our travels are getting to the trail head to ride the bike, hike or camp. Max budget - 15k.
Yea you don't need much to do this. You definitely don't "need" lockers, a manual trans or 33's immediately. @Ironclad got it right. Don't let the internet spend your money for you! Drive the truck for awhile, and the "upgrades" or "things you need" will become very clear to you.

If you are going to a bigger tire seriously consider jumping to a 16” rim. It will be a little wider and help reduce the roll due to big sidewalls.

Last edited:
Stock height OME is short hand for their light duty lift with a leaf removed. Quite a lot about it on here.

i’ve tried all sorts of lights on my truck. what i can say is pay once for jw speaker and be done with them. they are awesome. there are some good threads about building a conversion harness but it’s pretty easy and cheap. the lights aren’t but they are worth it if you drive at night.

i also did an h55 swap. i think it makes the truck even more fun to drive and does increase its performance but that’s my preference. i found the original seats killed my back on long trips. i did the bmw swap and really like them but there are other seat options out there too. i’m 6’2” and 210lbs so i may be a different size and shape than you but it’s an upgrade i recommend.

as others have said don’t let the internet spend your money. the rest are toys. fun and look good yes but really just toys. most important thing is baseline it make it reliable and love the ride! mine makes me smile every day i drive it. (and it’s my daily driver)

48E80DB3-1FC0-4040-8A78-1BDB7A6A50F4.jpeg

Last edited:
First things I do on all my rigs:

1. Headlights. JW speakers and an hour to build a simple harness. Buy once, cry once. Best upgrade - SAFETY UPGRADE - you can do, IMO.
2. New brakes with as many OEM parts as possible.
3. Mirrors. Rear view and side.

Start, stop, see, and be seen. Then drive it a lot and see where it takes you. I will tell you that a desmogged 3FE and an h55 swap is transformative, and makes a tired slush box a ton more fun.
17814C22-1039-45B4-A47A-2304FA88578F.jpeg

B470D0A0-EE74-4497-936E-74965CB082B8.jpeg

@franklin40 @bottombracket
My only issue with the JW Speaker (or other LED) headlight is that they look sort of odd/non-OEM when not in use. Any idea if the light from these is comparable to an H1/H4 swap with upgraded wiring harness/relays? That is about $375 in parts from SMS (plus maybe $60 for bulbs?) vs $900 for the JWS LEDs. It is a decision I've been struggling with.

@franklin40 @bottombracket
My only issue with the JW Speaker (or other LED) headlight is that they look sort of odd/non-OEM when not in use. Any idea if the light from these is comparable to an H1/H4 swap with upgraded wiring harness/relays? That is about $375 in parts from SMS (plus maybe $60 for bulbs?) vs $900 for the JWS LEDs. It is a decision I've been struggling with.
I saw a posting recently (don’t remember if it was on Mud, FB, Instagram) but someone installed LEDs that looked like the originals. I’ve been hunting for this post it but I can’t find it - I’ll reply if and when I do. It was around the same price as JWs, but a much better look

I saw a posting recently (don’t remember if it was on Mud, FB, Instagram) but someone installed LEDs that looked like the originals. I’ve been hunting for this post it but I can’t find it - I’ll reply if and when I do. It was around the same price as JWs, but a much better look
Thanks! Is the LED light that much better than the H1/4 upgrade or is it comparable?

I'd have to agree with those who recommend 31" tires vs 33" unless you plan to re-gear. I have been down both of those roads and the difference is significant, not just in acceleration (a relative term with 60 series) but also braking and overall handling. I won't be going back to 33's with stock gears once i wear out my current set.

i’ve done hella housings with hi wattage halogen bulbs, i’ve done LED bulbs in halogen housings (too much light scatter don’t do this) i’ve tried retrofit HID housings and none of them compare to the speaker lights. there’s just no question to me. yes expensive but it cost me $3000 to repair my front corner after hitting a deer i didn’t see before i had these lights

Oooooh. Holley Retrobrights are now available in yellow, classic white (3000K) and modern bright white (5700K).

This might bear exploration. $180/headlight…expensive but less than JWS.

Oooooh. Holley Retrobrights are now available in yellow, classic white (3000K) and modern bright white (5700K).

Much prefer the aesthetics of these over other LEDs I've seen as they look like a sealed beam. To run these in a 62, would just need to get a conversion pigtail (or rewire the existing connector) to mate up to stock wiring config, no?

Yes! Those are the ones I was trying to think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom