Help on excess smoke and slow take off acceleration - timing belt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought it and it needed a head, because the guy I bought it from had been driving it for 5 years problem free, he put a new radiator in a few days before I showed up to buy it, and it had never overheated, he did it out of an abundance of caution, but apparently he did not burp the system enough. So while he was driving showing me how good it ran, it was awesome, until suddenly it wasn't, he overheated it right on the first ride I ever had in it,, everthing else was working perfect, it was a creampuff, so I bought it at a big discount and took a chance on fixing it.

The truck: It is a 1994 Hilux Surf 4WD 3.0 Diesel turbocharged ( no intercoller) with 226Kilometers, it is a SSR Automatic. I bought a new head, installed carefully, everything looked nice and tidy, very little wear, cleaned/ tested injectors,, did all the right stuff, carefully reassembled,with all new stuff.

MY QUESTION: If I missed the timing belt adjustment by one gear, would the car act the way I have described - as below.

Started right up. It Runs smooth, but seemed like it may smoke a litle to much?? now a frien is driving it and he says it started smoking way to much, (I have not seen it yet) I will check for exhaust in the rediator with a tester. It does pull hard once it gets moving but in the first 10-15 feet it is REAL LAZY, I mean REAL LAZY!! Then it picks right up and does everything else perfect.

I have nothing to compare it to cuz I have never driven one , except this one now that it is "fixed"

No head gasket leaks, no collant leaks, temp is acting perfect, never gets hot and on a long hard uphill climb, it feels pretty good on power, it warms a bit then holds temp on the pull and then cools right down again.

It is a super great truck but something may have changed?

Anyone with a similar experience, or got ideas for me?

San Diego California, USA Pacific standard time.

I bought it and it needed a head, because the guy I bought it from had been driving it for 5 years problem free, he put a new radiator in a few days before I showed up to buy it, and it had never overheated, he did it out of an abundance of caution, but apparently he did not burp the system enough. So while he was driving showing me how good it ran, it was awesome, until suddenly it wasn't, he overheated it right on the first ride I ever had in it,, everthing else was working perfect, it was a creampuff, so I bought it at a big discount and took a chance on fixing it.

The truck: It is a 1994 Hilux Surf 4WD 3.0 Diesel turbocharged ( no intercoller) with 226Kilometers, it is a SSR Automatic. I bought a new head, installed carefully, everything looked nice and tidy, very little wear, cleaned/ tested injectors,, did all the right stuff, carefully reassembled,with all new stuff.

MY QUESTION: If I missed the timing belt adjustment by one gear, would the car act the way I have described - as below.

Started right up. It Runs smooth, but seemed like it may smoke a litle to much?? now a frien is driving it and he says it started smoking way to much, (I have not seen it yet) I will check for exhaust in the rediator with a tester. It does pull hard once it gets moving but in the first 10-15 feet it is REAL LAZY, I mean REAL LAZY!! Then it picks right up and does everything else perfect.

I have nothing to compare it to cuz I have never driven one , except this one now that it is "fixed"

No head gasket leaks, no collant leaks, temp is acting perfect, never gets hot and on a long hard uphill climb, it feels pretty good on power, it warms a bit then holds temp on the pull and then cools right down again.

It is a super great truck but something may have changed?

Anyone with a similar experience, or got ideas for me?

San Diego California, USA Pacific standard time.
Its a 1KZ-TE 3.0 RHD, imported from Austrailia to Canada, and then it was driven into the USA

Update, I removed the stuff to get to the timing belt and inspect the belt as a possible problem of incorrect installation.

Found good news the belt is on exactly right.

So diagnositics continue.

I sure could use a vacume line diagram for this 1994 Surf Diesel 3.0 turbo automatic 4WD. Anyone ??? , I think that may be the problem. I have them correct at the constriction valves but I cannot find a diagram for the bottom of the EGR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom