Vehicle pricing trend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a general question regarding thoughts on LC pricing as the economy has seen the highest inflation in many many years. For a lot of people purchasing a land cruiser comes from disposable income or possibly financing and with the price of EVERYTHING going nuts disposable income is probably shrinking and the cost of borrowing money has gone up.

This is NOT a political discussion nor do I pose this question to incite one. This is purely a market question coming from a future 40 buyer. Will the market soften?

Thoughts? TYIA

I may be in the minority, but I believe prices will come down, prices of everything: homes, vehicles, “toys”.
As far as cruisers go, I think they will go down, but how much, who knows. I think the first to lose value will be those that are highly modified. This has held true with most other vehicles as their popularity comes then wanes. Look at 40’s cars, tri five chevys and now muscle cars. All of them faded in their popularity and now the more stock ones or with slight modifications for reliability/drivability are what bring the best money. Not in any way saying 40’s are going to lose popularity but they will likely lose the following of the masses that weren’t really into them before prices exploded.
Only advice I’d have for buying is pick a condition and price you’re happy with and stop looking at prices once you buy one….

I would expect Toy prices to fall generally as people get squeezed in the market and need capital to cover losses. opportunities

Exactly what happened to the guy I bought my 40 from in 2008.

This is a general question regarding thoughts on LC pricing as the economy has seen the highest inflation in many many years. For a lot of people purchasing a land cruiser comes from disposable income or possibly financing and with the price of EVERYTHING going nuts disposable income is probably shrinking and the cost of borrowing money has gone up.

This is NOT a political discussion nor do I pose this question to incite one. This is purely a market question coming from a future 40 buyer. Will the market soften?

Thoughts? TYIA
If you can afford to buy a decent one now, might as well do it. I see no point in postponing the purchase just for the possibilty that a few bucks might be saved. Soften? Perhaps. Crash? Not likely. Prices could go even higher too, who knows?

Given a two bedroom two bedroom rancher just sold in a few days for close to a million dollars (and it’s like one of the cheaper homes in town), I’d not hold your breath that it’ll drop much. Gas prices have doubled, and everything is getting more expensive.
Shop for a 40 that’s a good value… don’t wait for the value come down.

Here in Brazil the prices for cars in general goes up dramatically. The yearly tax here is calculated based on the actual vehicle value. I bought my Mitsubishi Outlander (daily driver) 2019 for 60k R$, last month I paid the insurance based on a value of 81k R$.

I bought my Bandeirante last year for 60k R$ (had been back then around 9k USD). I'm still watching the market (I want to buy another one in a long version) and now below 80-90k R$ there is only crap available. Last year there had only be a very few above 100k R$, now this the standard.

I can also just guess: my daily driver will loose value for sure, the old Bandeirantes are still hyped and will rise further.

I got an incredible deal on my rust free 40 in 2011. If I was looking to buy one now I would wait a while longer, I believe some bargains will start popping up in a few months if the Fed does another interest rate hike. However if I really needed to buy a vehicle right now, it would be something older. No way would I buy something that was built during the "covid years". I'm hearing all kinds of horror stories about new vehicles problems. I think that has some influence on why old trucks are so expensive.

Random thought here: Vehicle pricing on our land cruisers may also be driven, in large part, by the prices we pay for parts. For some of us, owning and working on our 40's is a hobby, albeit an expensive and sometimes frustrating one. Whether it be tracking down hard to find used unicorn parts, or installing non OEM "upgrades" the out-of-pocket adds up quickly, but probably will never equate to a dollar-for-dollar return on our investment in parts and shipping, let alone our time. But, for me anyway, I'm okay with it. For some strange reason, I've kept a spreadsheet of costs of parts and special service tools. At last check it is over $30k for mainly simple "bolt-on" parts and whatnot. Recently increased the agreed value for insurance purposes to $65k. And yes, I agree that is crazy.

When my son was a high schooler he told me one time he was going to buy a stereo for his Tacoma. It was $400 and so I asked him if he really thought a high school kid should spend that much on a stereo when there were others less expensive. He said “dad I want that one and that is just how much it costs”. I had to agree, and I have thought about what he told me many times since then. He had saved the money to buy it and that is what he wanted. That is reason enough some times. They aren’t making these rigs anymore and most of us are closer to our expiration date than not.

Random thought here: Vehicle pricing on our land cruisers may also be driven, in large part, by the prices we pay for parts. For some of us, owning and working on our 40's is a hobby, albeit an expensive and sometimes frustrating one. Whether it be tracking down hard to find used unicorn parts, or installing non OEM "upgrades" the out-of-pocket adds up quickly, but probably will never equate to a dollar-for-dollar return on our investment in parts and shipping, let alone our time. But, for me anyway, I'm okay with it. For some strange reason, I've kept a spreadsheet of costs of parts and special service tools. At last check it is over $30k for mainly simple "bolt-on" parts and whatnot. Recently increased the agreed value for insurance purposes to $65k. And yes, I agree that is crazy.
Part of me wants to track costs once I purchase but another part of me says don't keep a spreadsheet so I don't see how much I've spent on my hobby. I'm an engineer so I probably won't be able to stop myself and I'll keep one. 😉

Part of me wants to track costs once I purchase but another part of me says don't keep a spreadsheet so I don't see how much I've spent on my hobby. I'm an engineer so I probably won't be able to stop myself and I'll keep one. 😉

The biggest single thing by far that you can do to reduce the cost of owning and maintaining a 40-series Land Cruiser is to do (or learn to do) all of your own mechanic and body work. Guessing that you probably already know that, but it bears repeating.

The biggest single thing by far that you can do to reduce the cost of owning and maintaining a 40-series Land Cruiser is to do (or learn to do) all of your own mechanic and body work. Guessing that you probably already know that, but it bears repeating.
My plan is to do and learn to do. Need something to keep me busy when I retire in a couple years. Stay out of the wife's hair so she doesn't kill me or vice versa 😉

My plan is to do and learn to do. Need something to keep me busy when I retire in a couple years. Stay out of the wife's hair so she doesn't kill me or vice versa 😉
Works for me :cool:

The one issue right now is inflation. The FJ40 may very well go up because of the value of a dollar. The web has many "inflation calculators" but in this economy no one knows how it lands. The FJ40 always will be a legend and if one gets a good deal based on the sellers financial problems, then so be it. Fuel is another issue but somehow fuel problems always pass based on politics and demands. I can see the questions on whether to buy now but somehow I believe buying an FJ40 one is always a winner.

Now hear this: This is a public service announcement from the SFTPOM (commonly known as the "Society For The Preservation Of Marriage") Should you be foolish enough to keep track of your spending, the advice is to triple password protect and then encrypt the snot out of it.

Now hear this: This is a public service announcement from the SFTPOM (commonly known as the "Society For The Preservation Of Marriage") Should you be foolish enough to keep track of your spending, the advice is to triple password protect and then encrypt the snot out of it.
With retinal scan and full palm print recognition 😆

Keeping a Landcruiser expense/build spreadsheet is a great idea and almost a must. Looking at it is the painful part!

I have a spreadsheet and I look at it when I want to find out what I’ve done and when but I rarely read the cost column.

I created a spreadsheet almost immediately after getting my forty series. I can keep track of what has been purchased, when it was purchased, who I got it from (including links) and what I paid for the parts.

I also keep a list within that spreadsheet of things that are needed but just haven't been acquired yet.

And a straight up wish list. Things I just want, but may not actually do for whatever reason.

All those things total up in different categories for me.

It's been useful for planning. Both in getting things so certain projects can be done in a certain order. Making sure I don't order stuff more than once. And for financial planning. Gives you a goal to work towards, even if every day the goal seems to inch further away. Plus crap gets outta hand after a while with out it my opinion, and it's hard to keep track! 😆

Screenshot_20220626-112326_Dropbox.jpg

I created a spreadsheet almost immediately after getting my forty series. I can keep track of what has been purchased, when it was purchased, who I got it from (including links) and what I paid for the parts.

I also keep a list within that spreadsheet of things that are needed but just haven't been acquired yet.

And a straight up wish list. Things I just want, but may not actually do for whatever reason.

All those things total up in different categories for me.

It's been useful for planning. Both in getting things so certain projects can be done in a certain order. Making sure I don't order stuff more than once. And for financial planning. Gives you a goal to work towards, even if every day the goal seems to inch further away. Plus crap gets outta hand after a while with out it my opinion, and it's hard to keep track! 😆

View attachment 3043513
OMG! I'm not worthy 😵

I start a small notebook for everything I do: cars, motorcycles, FJ40’s. Write what vehicle it goes to and vin. Then I write down what I buy for/do to it as I go, sometimes the hours involved (usually only if it’s for someone else). Then I keep all the receipts organized by date in the back of the notebook and write on it what it was because line codes aren’t very descriptive sometimes. Rarely ever look at them unless I’m trying to find a part number or something. Notebook always goes with it if I sell or send off the the owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom