Cleaning Sunroof Drains-- do I need to remove the roof rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed it, and it seems to fit. And it seems like it would work, and be an improvement. I like the way the 96-97 cover extends over the edge and includes the two gasket seals. But I am still not sure. Anybody have any thoughts?

PXL_20220625_162902171 (Large).jpg

PXL_20220625_162923626.MP (Large).jpg

I installed it, and it seems to fit. And it seems like it would work, and be an improvement. I like the way the 96-97 cover extends over the edge and includes the two gasket seals. But I am still not sure. Anybody have any thoughts?

View attachment 3042869

View attachment 3042870
I think your leak might be the rubber gasket that seals the outer perimeter of the drain catch. If you look just beyond your drain hole you'll see where the rubber gasket has kind of squished out. Clean it up really nice, especially the underside the the squished out area. Then take a pocket screwdriver with some black silicone and put some silicone along the bottom of the gasket where it squished out. Look at the other side while your at it and see if it needs it. Water is probably leaking through that gasket during a hard rain, onto the top of the headliner which is vinyl on the top side, then down the headliner. If that fixes the leak you owe me a 6 pack some day lol. While your at it put some silicone around the perimeter of the plastic corner piece you installed.

1. You do not need to remove anything except the trim around the sunroof to replace the glass panel.
2. Yes, the seal is glued onto the glass. Unlike the 100 series, which has a replaceable seal, the 80 and 200 series do not. I have no idea why.
3. Amayama has it (FWIW, it was $230 last year)
View attachment 3041705

4. If you are getting wet in the driver's seat, it's not the rear drains. Those are unlikely to ever clog. Because of the design.

Pro tip: use your VIN to check the part number and availability. And don't hold your breath. Their database ain't the best in the world. PartSouq had them last year, but don't list any now. Like everyone else, their stock varies based on what they sell.
I wonder if the 100 series seal is the same size as the 80?

I think your leak might be the rubber gasket that seals the outer perimeter of the drain catch. If you look just beyond your drain hole you'll see where the rubber gasket has kind of squished out. Clean it up really nice, especially the underside the the squished out area. Then take a pocket screwdriver with some black silicone and put some silicone along the bottom of the gasket where it squished out. Look at the other side while your at it and see if it needs it. Water is probably leaking through that gasket during a hard rain, onto the top of the headliner which is vinyl on the top side, then down the headliner. If that fixes the leak you owe me a 6 pack some day lol. While your at it put some silicone around the perimeter of the plastic corner piece you installed.

I think I see what you mean, and I think I may owe you that beer. See the picture below where I highlighted two places where the rubber gasket looks squished out. Is that what you were referring to?

PXL_20220625_133742778 (Large).jpg

I think I see what you mean, and I think I may owe you that beer. See the picture below where I highlighted two places where the rubber gasket looks squished out. Is that what you were referring to?

View attachment 3043267
Yes that's it. Maybe get a toothbrush and soap and water and clean up the area really well beforehand. Make sure your carpet isn't soaked from the leak. Otherwise pull it up so it dries before it gets mold.

So this has turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. I cleaned it out with a toothbrush and water as suggested. I bought some black silicon, and used the back of a zip tie to get up and under the gasket at the pop out. I held it in place for a good five minutes. It seemed to be holding, but when I came back 20 minutes later the gasket had popped back out again. I am thinking of getting some 3M weather stripping glue as it will likely dry faster.

I also looked at the passenger side, and there are the same two "pop outs" on that side. It made me wonder if they were supposed to be there. I couldn't think of a reason, so I will probably try again.

I assumed the drains were clogged when water started dripping onto the passenger seat from the sunroof during a hard rainstorm. But I don't know if it is the front or rear drains. It might be the rear, based on where it was dripping from.

I didn't know about this. Does anyone know the part number for the new sunroof glass panel? And it comes with the gasket? And can you clarify-- do you need to mess with the headliner to replace the glass panel?

Thanks for all the information.

Jared
Late to this but FWIW, I mentioned to the shop I went to recently that I thought the drains were clogged. ..He took one look at the metal seal around my winshield and found a spot that was raised by about 1/32 inch. He said, "That's probably where your leak is coming from...the seal is probably bad right there and water is getting in."

I explained that during the last rain season (I live in Vancouver, WA) I tarped the top. He asked if I covered the winshield as he didn't find any water, to whcih I replied "Yes, the entire top and I draped it over the winshield because the tarp was too big"

He suggested having the seal completely replaced and a new metal seal put on...glass will be put back in since every piece of glass is still original toyota and not cracked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom