antenna and gear shift replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just a few quick questions I have real quick I did search these subjects but im on my phone & didnt really find what I was looking for sorry thanks..

antenna replacement : ive already replaced the full mast & cable once & it was never really right it only moves a couple inches either way from time to time. has anyone ever used this replacement antenna? instead of the cable it just fits in the top of the opening w a stubby mast..?

gear shift lever knob : mines pretty crusty. has anyone stripped the leather off? I saw a picture of a used unit for sale & it was like halfway off it didn't look too bad. I see a full knob replacement is about $150, is that an easy swap out?

any info is appreciated thanks! - Dave

Screenshot_20220625-143437_eBay.jpg

just a few quick questions I have real quick I did search these subjects but im on my phone & didnt really find what I was looking for sorry thanks..

antenna replacement : ive already replaced the full mast & cable once & it was never really right it only moves a couple inches either way from time to time. has anyone ever used this replacement antenna? instead of the cable it just fits in the top of the opening w a stubby mast..?

gear shift lever knob : mines pretty crusty. has anyone stripped the leather off? I saw a picture of a used unit for sale & it was like halfway off it didn't look too bad. I see a full knob replacement is about $150, is that an easy swap out?

any info is appreciated thanks! - Dave

View attachment 3042926
since there seems to be some confusion about my question,,, I do not need a quick reply lol thanks again

it only moves a couple inches either way from time to time
Are you using the antenna button on the center dash console to extend and retract it? I would buy an OEM 100 series poverty pack antenna (86300-60181) before one of those stubby ones.

gear shift lever knob
Just buy a new OEM vinyl one for $80-90:

33542-20150-C0​

For the shift knob, yes you can pull the old leather off and re cover and sew on new leather. I just completed that project and it took a really long time. I’m sure an upholstery shop could do it fairly quickly. Pulling the knob is somewhat difficult because you have to unpin the overdrive wires from a plug. It’s not too bad and there are some write ups on here.
7844AF7A-DC44-4A81-9DA8-47C486252E87.jpeg
8CC7B86A-3D77-49C5-914F-64E62D3F3905.jpeg

For the shift knob, yes you can pull the old leather off and re cover and sew on new leather. I just completed that project and it took a really long time. I’m sure an upholstery shop could do it fairly quickly. Pulling the knob is somewhat difficult because you have to unpin the overdrive wires from a plug. It’s not too bad and there are some write ups on here. View attachment 3043151View attachment 3043150
looks killer thanks!

For the shift knob, yes you can pull the old leather off and re cover and sew on new leather. I just completed that project and it took a really long time. I’m sure an upholstery shop could do it fairly quickly. Pulling the knob is somewhat difficult because you have to unpin the overdrive wires from a plug. It’s not too bad and there are some write ups on here.

@Seth7843 Where did you get your new leather & thread? Did you glue down the leather first and then sew the seams? I would love to have a few more details on how you did it.

I just completed a leather steering wheel cover kit that involved sewing the cover on. Even with everything pre-cut to fit the actual sewing took a surprisingly long time and was very tedious. Results are good though and would love to have my shifter re-covered with leather too, yours looks outstanding.

@Seth7843 Where did you get your new leather & thread? Did you glue down the leather first and then sew the seams? I would love to have a few more details on how you did it.

I just completed a leather steering wheel cover kit that involved sewing the cover on. Even with everything pre-cut to fit the actual sewing took a surprisingly long time and was very tedious. Results are good though and would love to have my shifter re-covered with leather too, yours looks outstanding.
Buy the material and take it to an upholstery shop. You'll get a great result and it won't cost much, they do it all the time.

I purchased a steering wheel cover from Redline Goods and I also bought a 12”x12” piece of the same leather from them. I believe it was the black Napa leather. I bought a complete used shift knob and cut off the old cover. I transferred the patterns over to poster board and then cut out the new leather. I used pricking irons to punch the sewing holes and sewed with some waxed thread from Amazon. I used glue on the leather before I sewed it up.
C9E1759B-921F-43F3-991D-B4BD1CBA247B.jpeg
D0E71EB6-3F81-481F-AEF5-27ABE43DF29B.jpeg
50520CBE-7743-48AA-B98B-C94D0DC2B05B.jpeg

6B4EBE24-681C-48D4-8963-176C35FADD84.jpeg

I have my old shift knob if you want that one. You could send it to the upholstery shop while still being able to drive your car.

I have my old shift knob if you want that one. You could send it to the upholstery shop while still being able to drive your car.
PM sent - thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom