96' 80 Series Airbag Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow 80 series enthusiasts! Long story short, my neighbor hit my 80 while it was parked on the street. The front fender had to be replaced, and the door had to be repaired. There was also some suspension damage. Luckily the insurance company took care of everything. I got the car back and have been dealing with issues that the shop has done to it. One of them being their way of "aligning" the car which was to just remove the steering wheel and move it a 1/4 to the left, which ultimately broke the clock-spring. Air bag light, no horn, and no cruise control. I fought them on that and proved to them that they were the ones that caused it to break and they eventually replaced it. But, they cannot get the airbag light to clear. I thought they were beating around the bush again, so I tried it my self with they TOY-1 connector under the hood. Tried clearing it multiple times, but sure enough the light won't turn off. Just my luck! I am getting a code 14: Drivers Squib Circuit Open. The clock-spring is a brand new OEM one, and the connectors are seated fully. I checked to ensure that. I have also poked around for anything else unplugged. I am assuming that since it's an "open" theres got to be something unplugged somewhere? Anyone have this issue before? How do I get this code to clear??? Is there another way of resetting the airbag system? I could really use some help on this one! I appreciate it!!

There was also some suspension damage.

Do you have photos of the smashed vehicle before it was repaired? It may help
a bit if you could post those up to show where the damage was. Obviously something was bent in the steering/undercarriage/frame and instead of replacing/straightening they just clocked the steering wheel. That's not the right way to do it: have you gone back to the insurance company with these issues?

Not an expert but there are a couple of connections in the airbag system along with the small deceleration sensor box (circuit board) under the center console.

Whatever you do don't tell anyone (shop, insurance company) that you tried to clear the airbag light yourself, they will then blame you for breaking it.

There was also some suspension damage.

Do you have photos of the smashed vehicle before it was repaired? It may help
a bit if you could post those up to show where the damage was. Obviously something was bent in the steering/undercarriage/frame and instead of replacing/straightening they just clocked the steering wheel. That's not the right way to do it: have you gone back to the insurance company with these issues?

Not an expert but there are a couple of connections in the airbag system along with the small deceleration sensor box (circuit board) under the center console.

Whatever you do don't tell anyone (shop, insurance company) that you tried to clear the airbag light yourself, they will then blame you for breaking it.
Thanks for your quick reply!! I'll attach some pictures of it. It was hit so hard the passenger side tire slammed up against the curb and even took a chunk out of the curb! She claimed she was going 5 MPH, but I call BS on that one. The whole car was shifted over! One of the suspension bars underneath was bent, I cant remember which one off the top of my head, but will find out as soon as I get home so I can review the paperwork. I completely agree. I called them out for their terrible alignment fix, and they claimed it wasn't their fault. But I fought with them and proved that they moved the steering wheel by counting the # of turns from lock out to lock out to the left and right and sure enough they weren't even. They had no argument for that so they replaced it. I've gone back and forth with them and they are claiming theres nothing more they can do because the light won't turn off. They replaced the part they were responsible for (Clock-spring) and they are done. I will say, that the light was off when I first picked it up. The light turned on after I was backing out of a spot and had to go to full lock out to the left and it snapped then the dreaded light popped on and its here to stay! Even after the new clock spring replacement. Thanks for you suggestions, I'll poke around to see if theres anything that has come unplugged somewhere. It's got to be something obvious since it saying the circuit is open!

IMG_8582.jpg

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8580.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom