SOLD 1987 FJ60 with 12ht/h55f powertrain - RUST FREE 12V (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Brown
Rust free west coast straight body now located in Northern Virginia, 12v, 1987 Fj60 with 12ht h55f powertrain conversion. Second rebuilt 12ht long block, cable lockers with many useful parts (see below) -- $38k for all the above/below. If there are specific photos or questions I’ll update as this goes. As-is and I factored in buying both. I would currently not like to split the rebuilt spare HJ61 motor and cable lockers, however offers considered. It’s truly a wonderful vehicle an will put a smile on your face. The redundant parts, spare engine, etc. were for big plans. Never needed. I am currently limited to 10 pics and will look into that shortly to list a few more photos. Thank you for looking.

InkedIMG_0786.jpg

Highlights:
  • Excellent running 12ht-h55f power train
  • Never used spare rebuilt engine minus the injection pump and turbo (have parts) – long block.
  • Not installed cable lockers (front rebuilt, rear in order when arrived), handles, cables, dash light
  • Onboard air – dual compressor Vi-Air, air holding tank below, compressor fitting in ARB Bull Bar
  • Spare new starter and new alternator 12v
  • 33” Yokohama – less than 2k miles
  • Rear sliding windows - OEM
  • Warn Winch - 8274
  • Working A/C, r-12
  • Custom bumper with 7 pin trailer hookup
  • Driver and passenger suspensions seats
I purchased the vehicle 7 years ago from Portland, Oregan. Drove it all the way back via Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and 27hrs straight shot without a hiccup. The previous owner did the conversion, along with a custom exterior swing out bumpers, rock sliders and interior platform, including onboard air compressors (upgraded since). Excellent work.

Since my ownership I’ve made minimal changes to his platform, but upgraded items throughout that either needed service or not. Religiously, maybe excessively changing the oil every 3k miles, 15w-40. Below is not a comprehensive list. There will be items not listed and I’ll try my best to answer any questions. I’ve sparingly used the vehicle over the last seven years with one significant road trip a year if possible.

I never touched the paint outside of chips or flakes I’d hit with primer. I like the sleeper look and it really never bothered me. No rust on any of the sheetmetal and frame, however surface rust on axle and leaf springs. Spare locker pair are rust free.

The engine, I was told had 180k km miles on it when purchased. I put approximately 15k miles on over the years. Fixed leaks mentioned below. The second engine came in parts, however already mentioned rebuilt with new kit from Austrailia.

I’ve written the below up from memory, however if needed I will dig in my records for specifics if needed. Obviously nothing is older than seven years below in terms of work done. I also have a copy of the 12ht service manual.

On existing motor and transmission:
  • turbo rebuilt
  • injectors rebuilt
  • rear main seal replaced
  • valve cover gasket replaced
  • transfer case seals redone, new fluid
  • 1st gear syncro ring replaced on H55f refresh
  • new clutch disk
  • Second inline fuel filter, currently not used.

New Motor
  • Rebuilt 12ht long block motor, never used. Injection pump not rebuilt nor turbo on rebuild. Have both units. The motor has never been broken in. All interior surfaced coated with engine assembly lube
  • injectors from original motor. I was curious to know the status of my injectors, so I had the second set refurbished and installed in my driver. No change in performance.
  • Not installed, new starter and alternator. I do have another old alternator and starter from the parts package above

Suspension:
  • Replaced OLD Man EMU shocks all the way around and rear EMU leaf springs.
  • Greased knuckle
  • 33” Yokohama tires (highly recommended) – Less than 2000 miles
  • Not installed, rebuilt (front) locker with new rotors, rear locker, cable assembly and dash light
  • 2-3” lift
  • differential fluid in both replaced
  • cable lockers - not installed, front rebuild summer of 2021 along with new rotors and pads

Interior:
  • Working A/C, repaired after purchase
  • Dual on board compressors and holding tank – Hardly used VIAIR, fitting on bull bar
  • Driver and passenger seat suspension system
  • front seats no tears (drivers seat and foam replaced with OEM stock – not new)
  • Rear seats – 2 sets (one with headrests)
    • First set was part of the platform build. The advantage is you could flip up the seat and use the rear seat. The disadvantage, the rear platform was not level across. So I pulled the rear seats, created more storage and have a flat platform. Current configuration.
    • Second set no tears, rear seats with head rest
  • 3 point seat belts rear, not installed
  • extra console
  • extra door panels – very good shape
  • extra dash – the existing dash is a cap. I have an extra non cracked dash
  • platform (2 pull out drawers, two part storage, onboard air, car charger and usb ports
  • pending use of rear seat or no rear seat, additional storage in lieu of seats

Exterior:
  • Safari Roof Rack
  • ARB Bull Bar with air compressor fitting
  • Snorkel tube
  • Warn with steel cable, cable remote
  • LED headlights (have previous 12v headlights)
  • Sliders
  • Custom swing out tire and water/fuel carrier
    • tow hitch with adjustable remote
    • d-rings
  • 16” OEM Steel wheelies, 15” spare with Super Swamper
  • OEM Sliding rear windows
  • Tinted windows
  • body straight No RUST

Communications/electronics:
  • Genius Dual battery trickle charge (GEN2 - 2 times 10 amp). Plugin in bumper
  • New Battery (Starter battery June ‘21, House battery September ‘21)
  • Cleaned up engine bay wiring with microfuse panel, second in rear to drive house battery items. All items listed/tagged, Fall 2021
  • CB Radio and antenna, head unit b/n seat and console
  • Oil pressure gauge with light alarm
  • Aftermarket radio (fits loosely) with wireless remote
  • Hella Fog Lights
  • Aftermarket LEDs headlamps, have standard headlamps
  • adjustable towing remote

Spare parts:
  • New/never used 12v Starter, mentioned above
  • New/never used 12v Alternator (australia), mentioned above
  • New idler pulley OEM
  • New complete set of rubber hoses needed in the engine bay, original packaging.

when rebuilding the second engine I have a partial list not put back on that engine below:
  • Bellhousing
  • pressure plate
  • air intake and turbo aluminum pipes
  • engine mounts
  • 6 diesel injectors
  • turbo
  • engine mounts and more items may try to list later

Oustanding issues:
  • radio works but fits loose
  • one cigarette mark on a-pillar...some previous owner prior to me and the one I bought it from
  • front axles weeping grease

CLCC is local here as well if you'd like someone to come by and take a look.

front.jpg

engine.jpg

InkedIMG_2507.jpg
IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg
IMG_2498.jpg
IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2513.jpg

Awesome 60 series! I have looking for a diesel 60 or 80. I currently have a 90 FJ62 that I'm waiting to get back from an engine rebuild. I am considering selling it if I find the right diesel LC. Where in VA are you located? I live on the Eastern Shore of MD.

Outonthetown.jpg

I haven't decided if I want to sell her yet. The price would have to be right. It has approximately 223k miles on the odometer...I think. Its been in the shop being rebuilt for a while.

I have completed the following since 2019:

Complete engine rebuild on the 3FE (still waiting to get it back)
New H55F manual conversion
New Rear Main Seal
Installed FJ60 Radiator (Its larger than a FJ62)
New Oil Pan and Gasket
Rebuilt front Axle/Birfields
New steering and tie rod ends
New front brake calipers
New Brake pads (All)
Rebuilt Transfer Case
Converted the transfer case from vacuum to twin stick manual
New starter
New Alternator
Cruiser Crap center console
5 New Cooper Discoverer STT Pro mounted on Toyota Tundra Steelies
Added additional OME leaves in rear, rated as "Heavy" leaf pack now
New 2.5 Shackles with new bushings

I have only driven approximately 4-5000 miles since I purchased her. Body and paint is in great condition. A small quarter size bubble is in the lower front drivers side door, otherwise body and frame is rust free.

$38k

Last edited:
Rust free west coast straight body now located in Northern Virginia, 12v, 1987 Fj60 with 12ht h55f powertrain conversion. Second rebuilt 12ht long block, cable lockers with many useful parts (see below) -- $38k for all the above/below. If there are specific photos or questions I’ll update as this goes. As-is and I factored in buying both. I would currently not like to split the rebuilt spare HJ61 motor and cable lockers, however offers considered. It’s truly a wonderful vehicle an will put a smile on your face. The redundant parts, spare engine, etc. were for big plans. Never needed. I am currently limited to 10 pics and will look into that shortly to list a few more photos. Thank you for looking.

View attachment 3041872

Highlights:
  • Excellent running 12ht-h55f power train
  • Never used spare rebuilt engine minus the injection pump and turbo (have parts) – long block.
  • Not installed cable lockers (front rebuilt, rear in order when arrived), handles, cables, dash light
  • Onboard air – dual compressor Vi-Air, air holding tank below, compressor fitting in ARB Bull Bar
  • Spare new starter and new alternator 12v
  • 33” Yokohama – less than 2k miles
  • Rear sliding windows - OEM
  • Warn Winch - 8274
  • Working A/C, r-12
  • Custom bumper with 7 pin trailer hookup
  • Driver and passenger suspensions seats
I purchased the vehicle 7 years ago from Portland, Oregan. Drove it all the way back via Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and 27hrs straight shot without a hiccup. The previous owner did the conversion, along with a custom exterior swing out bumpers, rock sliders and interior platform, including onboard air compressors (upgraded since). Excellent work.

Since my ownership I’ve made minimal changes to his platform, but upgraded items throughout that either needed service or not. Religiously, maybe excessively changing the oil every 3k miles, 15w-40. Below is not a comprehensive list. There will be items not listed and I’ll try my best to answer any questions. I’ve sparingly used the vehicle over the last seven years with one significant road trip a year if possible.

I never touched the paint outside of chips or flakes I’d hit with primer. I like the sleeper look and it really never bothered me. No rust on any of the sheetmetal and frame, however surface rust on axle and leaf springs. Spare locker pair are rust free.

The engine, I was told had 180k km miles on it when purchased. I put approximately 15k miles on over the years. Fixed leaks mentioned below. The second engine came in parts, however already mentioned rebuilt with new kit from Austrailia.

I’ve written the below up from memory, however if needed I will dig in my records for specifics if needed. Obviously nothing is older than seven years below in terms of work done. I also have a copy of the 12ht service manual.

On existing motor and transmission:
  • turbo rebuilt
  • injectors rebuilt
  • rear main seal replaced
  • valve cover gasket replaced
  • transfer case seals redone, new fluid
  • 1st gear syncro ring replaced on H55f refresh
  • new clutch disk
  • Second inline fuel filter, currently not used.

New Motor
  • Rebuilt 12ht long block motor, never used. Injection pump not rebuilt nor turbo on rebuild. Have both units. The motor has never been broken in. All interior surfaced coated with engine assembly lube
  • injectors from original motor. I was curious to know the status of my injectors, so I had the second set refurbished and installed in my driver. No change in performance.
  • Not installed, new starter and alternator. I do have another old alternator and starter from the parts package above

Suspension:
  • Replaced OLD Man EMU shocks all the way around and rear EMU leaf springs.
  • Greased knuckle
  • 33” Yokohama tires (highly recommended) – Less than 2000 miles
  • Not installed, rebuilt (front) locker with new rotors, rear locker, cable assembly and dash light
  • 2-3” lift
  • differential fluid in both replaced
  • cable lockers - not installed, front rebuild summer of 2021 along with new rotors and pads

Interior:
  • Working A/C, repaired after purchase
  • Dual on board compressors and holding tank – Hardly used VIAIR, fitting on bull bar
  • Driver and passenger seat suspension system
  • front seats no tears (drivers seat and foam replaced with OEM stock – not new)
  • Rear seats – 2 sets (one with headrests)
    • First set was part of the platform build. The advantage is you could flip up the seat and use the rear seat. The disadvantage, the rear platform was not level across. So I pulled the rear seats, created more storage and have a flat platform. Current configuration.
    • Second set no tears, rear seats with head rest
  • 3 point seat belts rear, not installed
  • extra console
  • extra door panels – very good shape
  • extra dash – the existing dash is a cap. I have an extra non cracked dash
  • platform (2 pull out drawers, two part storage, onboard air, car charger and usb ports
  • pending use of rear seat or no rear seat, additional storage in lieu of seats

Exterior:
  • Safari Roof Rack
  • ARB Bull Bar with air compressor fitting
  • Snorkel tube
  • Warn with steel cable, cable remote
  • LED headlights (have previous 12v headlights)
  • Sliders
  • Custom swing out tire and water/fuel carrier
    • tow hitch with adjustable remote
    • d-rings
  • 16” OEM Steel wheelies, 15” spare with Super Swamper
  • OEM Sliding rear windows
  • Tinted windows
  • body straight No RUST

Communications/electronics:
  • Genius Dual battery trickle charge (GEN2 - 2 times 10 amp). Plugin in bumper
  • New Battery (Starter battery June ‘21, House battery September ‘21)
  • Cleaned up engine bay wiring with microfuse panel, second in rear to drive house battery items. All items listed/tagged, Fall 2021
  • CB Radio and antenna, head unit b/n seat and console
  • Oil pressure gauge with light alarm
  • Aftermarket radio (fits loosely) with wireless remote
  • Hella Fog Lights
  • Aftermarket LEDs headlamps, have standard headlamps
  • adjustable towing remote

Spare parts:
  • New/never used 12v Starter, mentioned above
  • New/never used 12v Alternator (australia), mentioned above
  • New idler pulley OEM
  • New complete set of rubber hoses needed in the engine bay, original packaging.

when rebuilding the second engine I have a partial list not put back on that engine below:
  • Bellhousing
  • pressure plate
  • air intake and turbo aluminum pipes
  • engine mounts
  • 6 diesel injectors
  • turbo
  • engine mounts and more items may try to list later

Oustanding issues:
  • radio works but fits loose
  • one cigarette mark on a-pillar...some previous owner prior to me and the one I bought it from
  • front axles weeping grease

CLCC is local here as well if you'd like someone to come by and take a look.

View attachment 3041208
View attachment 3041216
View attachment 3040484View attachment 3041200
View attachment 3040433View attachment 3040434View attachment 3040435
View attachment 3040473View attachment 3040474
Have you sold this yet? Any more thought if you would sell just the spare rebuild?

Hi, I have not. However I have seemingly have genuine interest in the entire bit. That being said, obviously at some point may consider breaking the items apart and respond sequentially to the various individuals if the aforementioned doesn't work out. Thanks for checking in and the interest.

Hi, I have not. However I have seemingly have genuine interest in the entire bit. That being said, obviously at some point may consider breaking the items apart and respond sequentially to the various individuals if the aforementioned doesn't work out. Thanks for checking in and the interest.
I have a few FJ40’s (gas) and an FJ45 (2 H diesel 4 speed trans). My wife would kill me if I bought another truck but I could sneak and engine lol. I would be interested in the new rebuilt engine and trans with transfer case. Whatever spare parts you have for it would be of interest. I think you have a spare set of axles too with disc brakes? I would scoop those too cause mine a drums. My number is 910 279 3365. My name is Caleb. Not sure how to DM yet. Just signed up today to reply to your post. I’m in Wilmington NC so I’m like 6 hours from you. We could do the whole deal in person let me know what you think

Wait! I want the engine/tranny! Either way I'm in Wilmington too. And I lived in Maryland not to long ago. I have a BJ74 that I'm pulling the motor out of this weekend. Needs rebuilt.

Wait! I want the engine/tranny! Either way I'm in Wilmington too. And I lived in Maryland not to long ago. I have a BJ74 that I'm pulling the motor out of this weekend. Needs rebuilt.
No transmission behind the rebuilt motor. Thx for reaching out.

How much would you part with the rebuilt motor for? I have a h55f tranny already.

If you opt to split between interested parties, did you have a price in mind for just the running vehicle and not the extra rebuilt motor etc? Apologies if I missed that.

Hello everyone, I'm going to reach out to the interested parties (including the PMs) in order and see if splitting it up could work out. I will try to post more pics soon as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom