Best donor vehicle for LS swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj80oregon

GOLD Star
Threads
So looking at buying a 94 80 with blown motor and want to do a LS swap what is the best donor vehicle for this. I am looking at Yukons and silverado. I have researched lots and would like a 6.0 but not married to the idea. I know the 5.3 and 6.0 are most common I believe. I think I want a 6l80 instead of 4l80 for more gears. I am not schooled on ls motors or trannies just know from what I have read on here. Please if you have done this swap or have first hand experience chime in. The other question is how many miles is to much for a ls motor I know this is subjective but is a 200k motor ok to just resfreah seals and throw in? Is there certain motors/trannies I should stay away from. Thanks in advance. Also not trying to spend 15k on a swap was thinking the 6-8k range is doable. Trying to find a donor vehicle will be hard with used car market going nuts. Ideally I would buy a wrecked rig but will see!!

I put a 5.3 in my 40 and bought it with all the accessories and around 130k miles for $900. I bought it from a company that pulls them out of low mileage wrecked snow rigs in Lubbock. They verified it ran prior to pulling. 5.3 has more than enough juice to scoot your 80 around but if your set on the 6.0 do it. Mainly pop the valve covers and make sure there’s no “sludge” in there. A compression check wouldn’t be a bad idea either if you can get it. Personally I just chucked mine in instead of spending money on a bunch of new parts. So far no issues, if something starts leaking I’ll address it then. These engines are easy enough to work on in a landcruiser engine bay. Wouldn’t overthink it too much. Totally your call though. 6-8k range is definitely doable.

Last edited:
So looking at buying a 94 80 with blown motor and want to do a LS swap what is the best donor vehicle for this. I am looking at Yukons and silverado. I have researched lots and would like a 6.0 but not married to the idea. I know the 5.3 and 6.0 are most common I believe. I think I want a 6l80 instead of 4l80 for more gears. I am not schooled on ls motors or trannies just know from what I have read on here. Please if you have done this swap or have first hand experience chime in. The other question is how many miles is to much for a ls motor I know this is subjective but is a 200k motor ok to just resfreah seals and throw in? Is there certain motors/trannies I should stay away from. Thanks in advance. Also not trying to spend 15k on a swap was thinking the 6-8k range is doable. Trying to find a donor vehicle will be hard with used car market going nuts. Ideally I would buy a wrecked rig but will see!!
200k can be ok but I would try to get one that you hear run first. The 6.0 will give more torque in lower rpm ranges. 6 to 8k is doable. 6l80e come with gen 4 motors. If you get a gen 4 motor try to get one with variable valve timing as that will also give more low end torque. Some gen 4 motors can have the cylinder deactivation system so you will want to try to get one without it or remove the system. Gen 3 stuff with a 4l60e or 4l80e will probably be a bit cheaper to swap fyi. Plan out the swap entirely before you buy anything. Get a notepad and make yourself a detailed step-by-step manual of the swap including all wiring modifications. Once that's done hunt down your parts.

200k can be ok but I would try to get one that you hear run first. The 6.0 will give more torque in lower rpm ranges. 6 to 8k is doable. 6l80e come with gen 4 motors. If you get a gen 4 motor try to get one with variable valve timing as that will also give more low end torque. Some gen 4 motors can have the cylinder deactivation system so you will want to try to get one without it or remove the system. Gen 3 stuff with a 4l60e or 4l80e will probably be a bit cheaper to swap fyi. Plan out the swap entirely before you buy anything. Get a notepad and make yourself a detailed step-by-step manual of the swap including all wiring modifications. Once that's done hunt down your parts.
Sound advice thanks for the input

somewhat depends if your emission laws are anything like CA
for my 97 LC80 CA requires the engine to be a same class engine (no car engines) needs to be OBD2 and yada blha blah. Hopefully its not the case up yonder!

somewhat depends if your emission laws are anything like CA
for my 97 LC80 CA requires the engine to be a same class engine (no car engines) needs to be OBD2 and yada blha blah. Hopefully its not the case up yonder!
I’m exempt for living rural. Will still have cats and all that good stuff just in case I ever sell don’t wanna limit the buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom