What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the
-All brake pads with Akebono Pro ACT Ceramics
-front diff side arm
-UCA boots with the Toyota boot kit
-sway bar links, cushions, d bushings
-Tie rod ends to fit my new OEM rack from Bell Lexus’s last cyber monday sale.
8FFEA0F3-A069-459E-BA6F-0DD5E3394D04.jpeg

825CDC71-1EBB-4D1B-B7F6-7499D13E34D5.jpeg

07542360-DF23-4379-8486-D62D7F3398FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Replaced the front diff side arm, sway bar links, cushions and d bushings.
I did my sway bar bushings as well this weekend as part of replacing the drivers side axle and abs sensor that I trashed taking the axle off. I curse where they put the bolts to get the sway bar bushing off. Mine were original and very, very rusted. I used a torch to heat the bolt until they glowed and a special rusty bolt socket to get the top one off. I replaced it with stainless bolts, but that was a huge pita.

41F17AFD-A19F-4267-B96C-3EC89B0D7309.jpeg

47309078-DEC9-4CA4-B661-9FC2EAC58319.jpeg

Finally got the new rear upper control arms (UCA) in that have been sitting in my garage since last summer. The old ones were pretttttty beat up.

A little tricky getting the passenger one in, had to ratchet strap the axle backwards and bottle jack the axle up a little bit to get it to line up.

I must have messed something up with the AHC sensor as it shows in Techstream as 7.2 on the rear sensor at all times and the AHC is blinking OFF while I drive. Code C1713. The arm must be stuck or not moving. I have a back up sensor but I have a feeling it’s something small.

Also my oil temp sensor is out (C1719), I wonder if I never reconnected it after my last AHC project 🤔.

Oh and new spare tire carrier, sans key. Do most people use keys? Mine was beat up.

View attachment 3038884
View attachment 3038891
Finally got the new rear upper control arms UCAs in that have been sitting in my garage since last summer. The old ones were pretttttty beat up.

A little tricky getting the passenger one in, had to ratchet strap the axle backwards and bottle jack the axle up a little bit to get it to line up.

I must have messed something up with the AHC sensor as it shows in Techstream as 7.2 on the rear sensor at all times and the AHC is blinking OFF while I drive. Code C1713. The arm must be stuck or not moving. I have a back up sensor but I have a feeling it’s something small.

Also my oil temp sensor is out (C1719), I wonder if I never reconnected it after my last AHC project 🤔.

Oh and new spare tire carrier, sans key. Do most people use keys? Mine was beat up.
I'd check the 50A fuse for AHC too!

I'd check the 50A fuse for AHC too!
I’ll take a look. I just find it weird that the sensor is throwing wrong numbers right after I changed the rear arm it connects to. Like I must have let it over extend or something? We’ll see. Good news is the dampening still works. Just can’t go up or down.

I’ll take a look. I just find it weird that the sensor is throwing wrong numbers right after I changed the rear arm it connects to. Like I must have let it over extend or something? We’ll see. Good news is the dampening still works. Just can’t go up or down.
I really hope it is not that but at least once in the past my 20 year old rear height sensor stopped working when I replaced the rear upper control arm. Apparently it was on its last legs anyway but taking the arm off and moving it about accelerated its demise.

I really hope it is not that but at least once in the past my 20 year old rear height sensor stopped working when I replaced the rear upper control arm. Apparently it was on its last legs anyway but taking the arm off and moving it about accelerated its demise.
Good to know. I actually have a new rear sensor in hand but I was hoping I could keep what I got for now. Probably will end up just replacing

PXL_20220618_172351873.jpg
PXL_20220618_232412662.jpg

Spent some time running The Gulches in Colorado this weekend. Set up camp along the South Platte river for the second night. I'd recommend it. I had bad luck though, hit a tree and dented my fender while reversing carelessly, broke my rear door window in a freak occurrence while parked (I think the dogs kicked up a rock), and one of my newly-plumbed fittings for the on-board air system blew up when I was airing back up. Luckily I had a portable compressor still in the truck. I can replace a window, and the dent should be fixable without paint or bondo. Could be worse.

Last edited:
Tried to fill the 40G LRA tank but decided to stop at the max allowed by a single credit card swipe:
20220619_213134.jpg

Then came home and added these cup holders from @CruiserDM. More details in my build thread!
20220620_123727.jpg

Swapped out the ol charcoal canister to see if it will help my fuel boiling issue with us heading to NM & CO next week, easy change.
Something really satisfying about bolts on the underside of a 250k mi truck breaking lose and coming out nice and easy with no penetrating oil or profanity

Truck started running rough with a flashing check engine light on the way home tonight. Of course I’m leaving for WI/MI on Thursday for some solo camping…

I pulled over and had a Cylinder 8 misfire, which made sense with the sound/feel. I drove home and now had cylinder 1 and random misfire. Replaced #8 coil with a spare and all is well. I like the easy fixes.

In the last month I’ve replaced the back door weather stripping, turn signal lenses, hatch lock electric motor, front brake pads, and added 1.5” spacers. I was going to tackle my sunroof, but Partsouq didn’t send a cable I needed, so now I’m seeing if Amayama will come through. Hope to knock that out before Colorado the end of July.

E7F53A64-C6A9-49A5-815C-D4A83CAA6BC6.png

30A0873B-DAF5-4B85-8419-0A4C32EE408E.jpeg

Yup it was the sensor. Thanks for the info about yours. Made me feel better about just replacing mine rather than trying to diagnose. Also, I noticed my oil temp sensor was never reattached… been driving that way for months

Last weekend on my camping trip I was thinking how it was going to be the last time I *likely* bring my awning room for overnight trips since there is no way to easily disconnect it from the car and I hated that I couldn't move my car around or go trailing without a bunch of teardown time... Well, today I randomly stumbled across the below video while looking at videos of quick disconnect awning mounts and i'm glad I came across it so thought I'd share. Basically this allows you to let your awning free stand without the support of your car. I am curious though how it will stand up with an awning room connected.

Knock on wood never had to do this, but feel sooner or later inevitable
The hardest part was dropping the headliner, luckily I didn't have to take off the lower interior panels but I took all of the upper ones loose, got by with not having to take the ones by the seatbelts all the way off. If I had known a couple months back when I had everything but the headliner out that I'd have to do this, I would have taken the extra time then. Ended up getting parts from McGeorge Toyota. Mainly done out of necessity but very pleased with the outcome!

As far as I can tell, it's the same hook as were on my 4Runner, Tacoma, 60-series, etc. Any pull-a-part should have a couple Toyota 4x4s in the yard, and they often have that toolkit.

Spent a bunch of time in SC many years back, absolutely cleaning house on a couple of 60s and 62s that fell to the Cash for Clunkers program.
I found an OEM handle set on Facebook Marketplace for $20, but the owner is on vacation. In the meanwhile I found a large eye hook and mounted it in a 1” dowel Rod and it worked well enough to raise the tire into place. It should be fine for a few uses, but it’s definitely not a long-term solution. I also bought a large planter hook that I’m going to get welded into a 1/2 impact socket. My cordless impact driver is pretty much perfect for tire changes, and this is going to make using the bottle jack a lot faster and easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom