OEM VsS Reproduction Fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Cruiser experts!

Super newbie here. I've had my cruiser for some time but due to life I wasn't in a spot to really tear into her for some time. Finally messing with her again after years of sitting.

Anyways I'm not very mechanically inclined so bear with me if I say something stupid I'm just trying to get into rebuilding this myself and really get to know everything.

I started with inspecting a few things before I go to fire her up again since moving her from her resting place back in 2017. I noticed of course the basics but when I went to check the oil I noticed a heavy smell of gas to it.

After a quick search here on the forums I found that more often then not this is due to the fuel pump.

I found replacements on the cruisercorps site but issue is there are 2 options

Oem at 215
And reproduction at 60.

My question is what's the drawback of the reproduction aside from obviously not being the official part. I of course would probably end up replacing it to OEM at some point down the road anyways but would getting the reproduction part be that bad for the time being until I get her more road ready? At this point I'm just reviving her and making sure all is well.

Thoughts?

Edit: forgot to put she's a 1973 fj40 with I believe the F engine. At least that's what I've been told here before.

Hello Cruiser experts!

Super newbie here. I've had my cruiser for some time but due to life I wasn't in a spot to really tear into her for some time. Finally messing with her again after years of sitting.

Anyways I'm not very mechanically inclined so bear with me if I say something stupid I'm just trying to get into rebuilding this myself and really get to know everything.

I started with inspecting a few things before I go to fire her up again since moving her from her resting place back in 2017. I noticed of course the basics but when I went to check the oil I noticed a heavy smell of gas to it.

After a quick search here on the forums I found that more often then not this is due to the fuel pump.

I found replacements on the cruisercorps site but issue is there are 2 options

Oem at 215
And reproduction at 60.

My question is what's the drawback of the reproduction aside from obviously not being the official part. I of course would probably end up replacing it to OEM at some point down the road anyways but would getting the reproduction part be that bad for the time being until I get her more road ready? At this point I'm just reviving her and making sure all is well.

Thoughts?

Edit: forgot to put she's a 1973 fj40 with I believe the F engine. At least that's what I've been told here before.
OEM. There are a lot of threads regarding aftermarket pumps failing, ill fitting, ect. Also check your local stealership, pumps are still available. Cry once, buy once.

OEM. There are a lot of threads regarding aftermarket pumps failing, ill fitting, ect. Also check your local stealership, pumps are still available. Cry once, buy once.
Understood. Thank you

Edit: your awesome I found several dealers near me with the OEM for half the cost

Last edited:
1) I've had good luck getting OEM parts from my Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAPS). Got a new Toyota boxed fuel pump from orielys last year.
B) the "reproduction" fuel pump for 60 bucks is usually just an in-line electric pump.
III) there was talk recently of someone putting together a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Maybe search that.

Last edited:
1) I've had good luck getting OEM parts from my Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAPS). Got a new Toyota boxed fuel pump from orielys last year.
B) the "reprosuction" fuel pump for 60 bucks is usually just an in-line electric pump.
III) there was talk recently of someone putting together a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Maybe search that.
@red66toy is selling rebuild kits.

Hey there, we have rebuild kits for the pre-1979 fuel pumps if you want to go that route. Pretty easy process. Usually they just need some new rubber diaphragms and maybe the one-way valves cleaned or replaced.

Hey there, we have rebuild kits for the pre-1979 fuel pumps if you want to go that route. Pretty easy process. Usually they just need some new rubber diaphragms and maybe the one-way valves cleaned or replaced.
Thanks for all the info everyone!

And thank you red66toy for the link I'll definitely check it out. I'm down for a rebuild
I have no idea wtf I'm doing but honestly that's been the funnest part.

Ooh! There they are. I like rebuild kits. One of those might save the OPs bacon.
Back in the day, we rebuilt everything. Rebuild kits were cheap and easy to find. LandCruisers are meant to be rebuilt and most rebuilds are very straightforward. I've rebuilt most things on my Pig. Not a transmission though. Or a water pump or a fuelpump.
I replaced mine recently, kept the old one naturally. I should rebuild it. Keep it as a spare.
So i just ordered a kit. And some stickers, i like stickers.
Rebuild kits are not going to get any cheaper or easier to find.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

And thank you red66toy for the link I'll definitely check it out. I'm down for a rebuild
I have no idea wtf I'm doing but honestly that's been the funnest part.
Rebuilding is thankfully pretty straight forward! Thankfully Toyota made them very easy to rebuild.

Ooh! There they are. I like rebuild kits. One of those might save the OPs bacon.
Back in the day, we rebuilt everything. Rebuild kits were cheap and easy to find. LandCruisers are meant to be rebuilt and most rebuilds are very straightforward. I've rebuilt most things on my Pig. Not a transmission though. Or a water pump or a fuelpump.
I replaced mine recently, kept the old one naturally. I should rebuild it. Keep it as a spare.
So i just ordered a kit. And some stickers, i like stickers.
Rebuild kits are not going to get any cheaper or easier to find.
Thank you for the support! :cheers: I love rebuilding over replacing as well when its possible.

Rebuilding is thankfully pretty straight forward! Thankfully Toyota made them very easy to rebuild.

Thank you for the support! :cheers: I love rebuilding over replacing as well when its possible.

Dang man that's some great customer service. I'll definitely be reppin your shop.

'm not very mechanically inclined
Are you certain the fuel pump is the problem? There could be other sources of fuel smell. I would hate for you to just keep replacing parts hoping to run into the problem.

Are you certain the fuel pump is the problem? There could be other sources of fuel smell. I would hate for you to just keep replacing parts hoping to run into the problem.
No sir I'm not sure I'm going after what I can find by searching here tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom