Unknown lever under the steering column... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just acquired a 1976 FJ40. There is an unknown lever under the steering column. Has wires connected to the back and a tube running through the firewall to the master cylinder (see images). PO had no clue what is was for....anyone?

New Picture.jpg

noname (2).jpg

Looks like a line lock that's tied into the frt brakes.

Probably a line lock due to inoperable parking brake

Probably a line lock due to inoperable parking brake
Not on a 40 series... there are no better E-Brakes.

Sorry, I'll have to fix that... No E-Brake is better.

I think I remember a few days when my E-brake held well. But in all seriousness, there are limitations to a driveshaft E-Brake on an open Diff on rough terrain. Often a line lock can be useful to increase staying power while winching someone else.

Me too... Line lock. Press the pedal down, throw the lever, rear brakes locked.

Me too... Line lock. Press the pedal down, throw the lever, rear brakes locked.

I believe in this case front brakes based on previous post, but that could be wrong.

FWIW my e-brake has worked well, properly adjusted it is fine. Low range will shear all four mounting bolts but it bolted back up omly damage was to speedo cable which got deleted.

When I bought my 68 many year ago the rear hydraulic broke line had a Tee with a line that went to a hose with a plug. This plug would hook to a trailer the original owner had. I never used it and removed the Tee years ago. This was on the stock non booster single circuit brake line, scary to say the least. The handle reminds of a brake controller that can apply brakes to just the trailer to straighten out a trailer that is fishtailing.

When you move the lever over does it lock into place, or when released does it return to where it was?

Old school trailer brake. When you applied the brakes, the trailer would also have brakes applied. When you were desending down a steep grade and didn't want to ride the brakes, but wanted the trailer brakes to hold you back from picking up too much speed you could operate the manual lever protruding out the front of the box to operate trailer brakes only- - -easy deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom