Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you install painted hardware without damaging it? I've never been able to touch a painted screw or bolt without leaving some kind of damage. Just make sure all threads are chased and don't tighten too much?
I sandblasted the SS hardware, etch primer and then base. I try to be as gentle as possible but the base that we use is really tough. It does help to chase the treads but either a wrench or socket works well until the split washer is compressed and its tight "enough". After everything is installed and where it's supposed to be, they will get any touchups and then clear.

I've had to redo a handful of the parts that use the Glasurit epoxy primer and Clear and it's really hard to sandblast vs. a rattle can or cheaper product. I just had a batch of CAD plating come back with both epoxy primer and clear on it. Had to sandblast and send back to the plater.

I sandblasted the SS hardware, etch primer and then base. I try to be as gentle as possible but the base that we use is really tough. It does help to chase the treads but either a wrench or socket works well until the split washer is compressed and its tight "enough". After everything is installed and where it's supposed to be, they will get any touchups and then clear.

I've had to redo a handful of the parts that use the Glasurit epoxy primer and Clear and it's really hard to sandblast vs. a rattle can or cheaper product. I just had a batch of CAD plating come back with both epoxy primer and clear on it. Had to sandblast and send back to the plater.
Hmm. Are you clearing the hardware by spraying it in place, so you're masking off every single bolt head and screw head? These little details fascinate me, I do not possess the attention to detail to ever build or own anything this nice. Thanks for sharing your build, the details are 10/10!

Hmm. Are you clearing the hardware by spraying it in place, so you're masking off every single bolt head and screw head? These little details fascinate me, I do not possess the attention to detail to ever build or own anything this nice. Thanks for sharing your build, the details are 10/10
The clear, when mixed properly will lay down after being brushed on. They don't have to be scuffed because the base is never technically closed. Working with our team on this truck has been eye opening. I am proud to be a part of it and feel fortunate @dlzadl was able to make this happen.

Reminder, check your terminals……
DF497097-A1EA-4C0C-9916-8A5DDC4CF8ED.jpeg

Thanks, Mark. @Coolerman

Last edited:
@Jdc1 just spent two days with the last ten years of your life. Wow. And your painters are artists.

The only question I have is who's your plater?

@Jdc1 just spent two days with the last ten years of your life. Wow. And your painters are artists.

The only question I have is who's your plater?
Thats a personal question, lol. Seriously, It is called Plate All, in Akron. We are fortunate to have the remnants of a vibrant manufacturing industry and have a lot of quality businesses to use for this type of restoration. They are generous enough to take on small one off projects to break up their large orders.

Thank you for your kind words, the painters are one of a kind. I am lucky to even look at their projects let alone help.

Just got back from a quick, much needed long weekend to the WV Mtns. Google maps took us through a ranch the long way around. The youngest is now hooked on trout. Now back to the ‘72 this week and see if we can make it closer to done.
0E26DEEF-A83F-4953-A383-C8FF08A16435.jpeg

4638958A-8072-45E3-8508-B0E3FA9F9FE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got back from a quick, much needed long weekend to the WV Mtns. Google maps took us through a ranch the long way around. The youngest is now hooked on trout. Now back to the ‘72 this week and see if we can make it closer to done. View attachment 3044702

View attachment 3044703

You came to my house and didn’t call? 😕

Trying to gauge where you were? South West? Potomac? Looks like a great time.

You came to my house and didn’t call? 😕

Trying to gauge where you were? South West? Potomac? Looks like a great time.
We decided late Thursday to hit the road, I’ll definitely be lining up with you in the near future. We hit Spruce Knob and then near Buckhannon.

We decided late Thursday to hit the road, I’ll definitely be lining up with you in the near future. We hit Spruce Knob and then near Buckhannon.
Beautiful country. Did you hit Spruce Knob Lake? I’ve fished the tributary and the lake. My father was from Elkins. Just around the bend..

Congrats on the young one taking up trout fishing….I’m getting nostalgic just thinking about it. 😊

Beautiful country. Did you hit Spruce Knob Lake? I’ve fished the tributary and the lake. My father was from Elkins. Just around the bend..

Congrats on the young one taking up trout fishing….I’m getting nostalgic just thinking about it. 😊
We camped at Spruce Knob Lake Campground. It’s one of my favorite places to be.

At least some dirt, or dust.

@GA Architect you have some competition here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom