FJ62 compressor replacement and 134a conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reading this thread as I'm preparing on a conversion project before it turns to hell in SoCal. Can someone confirm that you have to get a new compressor in order to convert to r134a? I was going to just order off most of this parts list...

View attachment 3040041
No change in compressor required, just drain the old oil and refill with new.

Reading this thread as I'm preparing on a conversion project before it turns to hell in SoCal. Can someone confirm that you have to get a new compressor in order to convert to r134a? I was going to just order off most of this parts list...

View attachment 3040041
According to the TSB don’t. You can leave the compressor right in place. I added the recommended amount of PAG 46 oil (100ml) to the low side of the compressor while I had the hoses off. I replaced the evaporator and everything in the cooler box (pressure switch and expansion valve). I ponied up the bucks for the expansion valve from Toyota ($95). The evap and drier are Denso, pressure switch and o-rings are Four Seasons, all from RockAuto. Bought the retrofit valves and valve core remover (for the old valves) from Oreilly. Kept my condenser and compressor. Flushed the condenser and lines just to make sure they were clean. Very little debris came out of them.

Rented all the AC tools from AutoZone.

Now, I’ve only put about 10 miles on the truck since finishing up a few days ago but so far so good here in Florida! Was blowing 50 degrees this afternoon.

Last edited:
Really hoping for some help with recharging my AC system. I’ve recently got all my hoses replaced since a mechanic confirmed I had a leak. Now with all high pressure hoses, connected tightly with thread locker, I moved on to vacuuming the system and recharging it. I had to get the retrofit kit to get the manifold hoses to attach. At this point, no problems. After watching numerous videos on how to tackle this, I’m stumped… I believe I’ve successfully completed the vacuum stage. But after I screw on my can of Freon, it’s as if no Freon is moving into the system or something. Yes, I’ve made sure the correct low/high valves are open/closed correctly multiple times.Yes, I have my truck on or off at the appropriate times in the process. I’ve crossed my T’s and dotted my I’s. When I use the adapter to screw down and puncture a hole in the top of the Freon container, I then back it out. Here’s where the problem happens. I bleed any air out of the yellow/center manifold hose, but it’s just a little air that comes out. I am under the impression that air should come out first followed by Freon, in which point you know you’ve bled the air from that hose out properly. This doesn’t happen though. Then, I open up just the low pressure side, which from what I gather is supposed then let Freon in and the needle should go up and then down as the compressor kicks on and everything. What happens is that the needle goes up and stops, never to move again. I’ve shook the can and nothing. I’ve flipped it upside down and nothing. And in the glass viewing eye, I never see any Freon or liquid or anything. Where am I going wrong on this step? Am I missing something?

I’m going to start from scratch again tomorrow, vacuuming and everything. But hoping to get some ideas in the mean time. Thanks!

Really hoping for some help with recharging my AC system. I’ve recently got all my hoses replaced since a mechanic confirmed I had a leak. Now with all high pressure hoses, connected tightly with thread locker, I moved on to vacuuming the system and recharging it. I had to get the retrofit kit to get the manifold hoses to attach. At this point, no problems. After watching numerous videos on how to tackle this, I’m stumped… I believe I’ve successfully completed the vacuum stage. But after I screw on my can of Freon, it’s as if no Freon is moving into the system or something. Yes, I’ve made sure the correct low/high valves are open/closed correctly multiple times.Yes, I have my truck on or off at the appropriate times in the process. I’ve crossed my T’s and dotted my I’s. When I use the adapter to screw down and puncture a hole in the top of the Freon container, I then back it out. Here’s where the problem happens. I bleed any air out of the yellow/center manifold hose, but it’s just a little air that comes out. I am under the impression that air should come out first followed by Freon, in which point you know you’ve bled the air from that hose out properly. This doesn’t happen though. Then, I open up just the low pressure side, which from what I gather is supposed then let Freon in and the needle should go up and then down as the compressor kicks on and everything. What happens is that the needle goes up and stops, never to move again. I’ve shook the can and nothing. I’ve flipped it upside down and nothing. And in the glass viewing eye, I never see any Freon or liquid or anything. Where am I going wrong on this step? Am I missing something?

I’m going to start from scratch again tomorrow, vacuuming and everything. But hoping to get some ideas in the mean time. Thanks!
Confirm that the yellow service hose is connected up properly. The one I used had a valve on one end but not the other. Maybe try swapping that hose around the other way? I know that once the hose was connected and the can was open, I was able to loosen the yellow line where it connected to the manifold and let air out and bleed the line until I saw coolant. It had plenty of pressure coming out when I bled it.

Confirm that the yellow service hose is connected up properly. The one I used had a valve on one end but not the other. Maybe try swapping that hose around the other way? I know that once the hose was connected and the can was open, I was able to loosen the yellow line where it connected to the manifold and let air out and bleed the line until I saw coolant. It had plenty of pressure coming out when I bled it.
That’s funny you mention the valve on that hose. I noticed it when I was originally hooking it all up and that was the one thing I wasn’t sure of. My ONLY thought for when I try again today was to do exactly that, switch it around and see what happens! Thanks for that confirmation, hopefully that does the trick.

Do you happen to remember which way worked? Was the yellow hose end with the valve on the vacuum pump side or the manifold side?

According to the TSB don’t. You can leave the compressor right in place. I added the recommended amount of PAG 46 oil (100ml) to the low side of the compressor while I had the hoses off. I replaced the evaporator and everything in the cooler box (pressure switch and expansion valve). I ponied up the bucks for the expansion valve from Toyota ($95). The evap and drier are Denso, pressure switch and o-rings are Four Seasons, all from RockAuto. Bought the retrofit valves and valve core remover (for the old valves) from Oreilly. Kept my condenser and compressor. Flushed the condenser and lines just to make sure they were clean. Very little debris came out of them.

Rented all the AC tools from AutoZone.

Now, I’ve only put about 10 miles on the truck since finishing up a few days ago but so far so good here in Florida! Was blowing 50 degrees this afternoon.
How did you go about removing the old oil from the compressor to fill 100ml of the new PAG46?

How did you go about removing the old oil from the compressor to fill 100ml of the new PAG46?
I have an 88 FJ62 with the 10PA compressor, so I skipped the 10P only section about o-ring replacements on the compressor and just replaced the ones where the hoses attach. So I just left it in place. They also mention in the drier section that mineral oil will be left in the system so the drier glass will be cloudy.

Have I set myself up to have a failing AC system?

@dogcruiser Thanks for the recommendation on the adapters!! Just wanted to get month update and see how the AC is holding up since you converted. Also, noob question here, but I'm in the middle of my conversation this weekend and wanted to confirm if my adapters were on the correct positions and if they were supposed to screw al the way down. Here's how mine looks:

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 12.59.53 AM.png

@vankho I hadn’t even noticed that before but mine looks similar. A couple of threads showing. Just make sure you remove the cores from the original valves before you screw the retrofit adapters on. And a couple drops of red Loctite to keep them secure.

Overall the system has been working great. I probably only have 100 miles on it since doing the AC work but it blows colder than I expected sooner than I expect, even holding its own while sitting in traffic on a humid 95 degree day. I keep the thermometer in the vent and the vent temps are typically in the mid 50’s, or even colder. The photo below was taken at a stop light at 2pm last week. Of course on a hot day it might take a few extra minutes to get to the coldest temp but I have no complaints.

2651A932-542B-440C-BBF6-6EEE6A38AABA.jpeg

Had a brief moment of pause during my r134a conversion with the receiver/dryer. Can anyone confirm it's orientation? The old one (w/ sightglass) had the hose going to the evaporator connected to the "IN" value. Note that I have it flipped around in the new dryer. Based on the illustration in the FSM it's suppose to be the condenser? Just want to be 100% before pulling vacuum and getting the refrigerant in! Do I have the flowchart correct?

IMG_4346.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 12.45.24 PM.png
IMG_4406.jpeg

This has been a little less straightforward for me and wondering if I’m missing something. I’m retrofitting an existing compressor.

1. I was able to pull vacuum and it held!
2. Added oil to line going into manifold, and hooked up a tapped r134a can.
3. Turned on the vehicle and AC and started opening up low side.
4. Most of the first can goes in (340g). Maybe half of the second can goes in but noticeably slower draw.
5. Vent temp unchanged. Compressor doesn’t kick on. Refrigerant still remaining in the can.

Anything I should investigate before I shop for a new compressor?

1.5 cans should be plenty for it work. I know that I had missed reconnecting a plug under the dash at first (or had it plugged into the wrong thing) so I’d triple check all of that. And confirm that the wires connecting to the compressor have good contact.

Did the compressor kick on before you did the conversion or were you completely out of R12?

Reading this again @gunnyguns i am currently stuck in the same situation and step you are. Did you manage to figure it out?

1.5 cans should be plenty for it work. I know that I had missed reconnecting a plug under the dash at first (or had it plugged into the wrong thing) so I’d triple check all of that. And confirm that the wires connecting to the compressor have good contact.

Did the compressor kick on before you did the conversion or were you completely out of R12?

Thanks! I'll double check all the electrical work. Never kicked on before, system had zero pressure. Completely out of R12.

Gave up. Same situation you've in. Possibly pressure switches? Anyone know the location of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom