FJ40 12HT Swap & 60 Series Axles (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also got the block, head, and crank paletized and ready to send off to the machine shop on Monday.

2CBC6EAE-73F3-4E5F-935E-76D498ABD8A7.jpeg

5CCCFFC5-73DE-49EE-B416-64C933EAB494.jpeg

I think you mentioned just doing a hone on the cylinders, so you are going back with factory sized pistons? How did the ring lands on the original pistons look? Are you replacing your pistons with new ones? Many many years ago on my first engine rebuild I also opted to do a hone and keep factory size bores, it worked out fine but the piston to cylinder wall clearance was on the "service limit" spec which I wasn't enthused about since all the other tolerances were spec. Since then I always go one size over on my rebuilds.

I think you mentioned just doing a hone on the cylinders, so you are going back with factory sized pistons? How did the ring lands on the original pistons look? Are you replacing your pistons with new ones? Many many years ago on my first engine rebuild I also opted to do a hone and keep factory size bores, it worked out fine but the piston to cylinder wall clearance was on the "service limit" spec which I wasn't enthused about since all the other tolerances were spec. Since then I always go one size over on my rebuilds.
The cylinders were in excellent condition and everything was within spec (a touch closer to tolerance than I'd like but it should be fine).
Im still planning on doing a hone and new factory size rings/bore. If the machine shop finds something I didn't find, Ill address it.

The cylinders were in excellent condition and everything was within spec (a touch closer to tolerance than I'd like but it should be fine).
Im still planning on doing a hone and new factory size rings/bore. If the machine shop finds something I didn't find, Ill address it.
Copy that! If you decide you want to replace the pistons for some "0" mile ones I do have these I removed from one of my NOS 12ht's. That engine had some moisture intrusion from storage so I installed 1/2mm oversize pistons in it to clean up the cylinder. For Sale - 12HT pistons [AL] - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/12ht-pistons-al.1226771/

For those who are curious, the next phases of the build are as follows:

1. Finish building axles
2. Get axles and springs mounted to frame
3. Wheels and tires on and roll chassis
4. Power steering arm and tie rods
5. Mount Engine, trans, and tcase.
6. Measure driveshafts and get shafts made
7. Body on frame
8. Wire engine, ignition, and lights

July 14: Project deadline. Come hell or high water Im driving this thing to Wyoming so it has to be done. I dont care if the floor is patched with plywood and my ignition is a light switch. Its going.

10 day progress update:

-Axles built
-Axles mounted
-Wheels and tires on: chassis rolling
-Engine and trans mounted
-Driveshafts measured and are being made
-Custom radiator ordered
-Body sprayed with sound and thermal insulation
-Tub/firewall sprayed with monstaliner
-Body on frame
-Hard fuel lines made
-Clutch lines done
-Trans/tcase linkages done
-ARB lockers installed

Remaining jobs:
-Steering links
-Brake lines
-radiator
-Air filter
-Wiring

F564869F-D57B-45E3-9BA0-53FF87D47CB6.jpeg

900133CB-C36A-4E25-9F4E-4655AF0B8C79.jpeg

B233C95E-9727-454F-8412-D48E97B1CAB9.jpeg

621A4537-0EE3-425D-AD74-228FDEF1597A.jpeg

99B8ADE3-5A44-4945-ABE4-59B54A5FB645.jpeg

Mo’ Progress

Brake lines done
Fuel system totally done
Fuel tank tested (no leaks)
Brake pads and HUGE calipers installed
Front shocks mounted

The last of the tasks:
Mount battery (batteries?)
Tie rods
Pitman arm
Alignment
Install exhaust
Wire motor
Tail lights/head lights
Seats
Install radiator
Install driveshafts

Test drive

EF5F0680-BC53-4625-9D5F-B4DF2D6DE91E.jpeg

0B486674-8079-4083-AAD0-08DBF7D2A530.jpeg

D270661F-4383-49A0-AACC-8D63F2B01949.jpeg

Before you get to far down the road it looks like you have an issue with your springs, "The arrow is meant to point towards the fixed end on the frame opposite of the shackle." Additional info can be found here.
Thanks for catching that! I figured they pointed forward. I shall correct that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom