What is it worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A pet peeve of mine is when folks post a “what is it worth” thread when you can tell they don’t really care about old Land Cruisers-they just want to know how much $$$ they can flip it for.

That isn’t the case this time, not looking to sell but need to estimate a value for insurance as after all the work I’ve done to it over the years figured it was time to move up to full coverage.

It is 1965 FJ40 with an OM617 turbo/w56 five-speed. Runs/drives great, super reliable and economical. Have correct hard too and doors, but they need paint and work. Cosmetically it is mostly original, no holes in the dash, new wheels, hubcaps etc. To be frank, the quality of the paint and fabrication is fair, I did all of the work myself, so it is good enough for a daily driver, but not Barrett-Jackson quality to say the least.

Thoughts on what I should state for a value? (keep in mind the more I claim, the more I pay). Thanks, Duane

ED2A93EB-4D02-4151-B92A-03EA11F8317A.jpeg

A59FF935-96AD-4DC7-8169-BA1049167C96.jpeg

BCDFC69C-41BE-4B60-AF4D-417D2D3C4944.jpeg

Looking at the Haggarity site the average for a good condition example is 30k. I’m clearly out of touch on prices.

Agree that’s a great price..Is that for historical plates

I have mine listed over valued. It doesn't cost much.
I have a relatively clean record the last five years, two tickets tops, probably more like one.
I'm 41
I think I told them I'd be 20k miles a year, (though I'm still at zero for this year)
The insured value is at $40k currently, and will be increased when I get it back from the engine replacement to probably $80k
I'm paying $659 per year through Hagerty.

It's way better to be over insured rather than under insured in my opinion. If it were $6000 a year, I'd feel differently.

In my opinion, at this moment, my cruiser is worth $25k. I've shoved a lot into it to elevate it from being a hunk of garbage, all the way up to sh¡tbox. 😆

This isn't an answer to your question, but some pertinent information. My buddy has Hagerty on a few classic vehicles. He recently had to file a claim for some flood damage, and he was less than pleased with the service he got from them.

I remember back in the day I got side swiped while at my parents home. They wanted to give me about a grand. I told my Dad try to buy a 40 for a grand. You are not going find one so the end of the day....what it cost you to replace one of equal value....paint, engine....etc. And then add the the fact that they are getting harder to find, just saying.

Last edited:
Agree that’s a great price..Is that for historical plates
Collector car plate in Minnesota, just can not use it to go to work, and must have another car registered in Minnesota. I’m retired so the work thing dose not matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom