What did you do on your 70 series today? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The big Uline catalog is a good one too!

I made the 24V-12V trailer conversion box, used a rare earth magnet on the back of it to stick it inside the quarter panel

A534D73E-8EB9-461A-AE70-4F7FB6ED0204.jpeg

The big Uline catalog is a good one too!

I made the 24V-12V trailer conversion box, used a rare earth magnet on the back of it to stick it inside the quarter panel

View attachment 3038882

Your use of a rare earth magnet to attach your "logic" box solved a long standing problem of mine. I love the simple solutions, and don't know why I did not think of that with all of the other useless things I've tried. Thanks!!

Replaced the right motor mount last night.
While at GSMTR last week, I was hearing an occasional thumping noise which seemed somewhat independent of motion. This led me to suspect the motor mount.
I had a used one on the shelf, so I installed it last night. The noise is gone so it appears that I took the correct action.

However, I was expecting that if the motor mount had failed; it would just fall apart into two pieces once removed. However, it was intact and had no give (flex) in it with hand manipulation. Clearly for the future, I need to research how to inspect (test) a motor mount (new or used) to ensure that it is in good condition before installing it on the 70. It wasn't very difficult to install the motor mount, but it is a task that I would want to complete with confidence before firing her up.

Thanks to @BarnFab I was able to hand the transmission tech a usable input shaft for my 13BT -H55F combo.
The original shaft had been welded by someone at the small diameter end where it fits the engine.
Maybe the bearing there seized at some time.
I guess the guys who replaced my clutch 3 years ago did not notice or did not inform me.

Been there, done that... never again....

FYI

Rear bearings for the outers on the semi float had an original markings of Torrington and DK54185. This number cross references to R1561TV, so I picked up a set of Koyo to replace them. The seals are another issue in that the markings were all rusted over, so for now I am picking up a set of seals that usually go with this bearing and will see if they spec out the same.

Additionally, for those saying who the heck used a Torrington bearing.... well, I found out that Torrington merged into Koyo, so they are the same.

4499F2F8-6115-43F2-97F8-9sdfsdf47491500DC3 (1).jpeg

I can't believe that I just attempted to tell the parts guru something... he probably made that seal.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve already got everything. 👊👊

The seals and bearings you have are the correct ones for a s***box s*** ass Dana hunk of junk s***ty s***terson rear axle housing.

Agree with all of your special characters.... and then some. I built it to keep it forever, but very glad that project is gone!! Wasted many hours....

I am interested in figuring out the differences in the drum brakes between mine that used 60 series parts and the one that @thebill was dealing with. I like puzzles... obviously.

Cut a big ol hole in my 79! Out with the old… in with the new.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Japanese Ex 70 series fire trucks they modified the floor and rear bench area in order to fit the massive pump which attached to a PTO.

Quest: return it to a functional double cab 79 series!

3C36B153-9164-40D8-9F4A-4F048DD0B0ED.jpeg

1CC93A3A-A10D-4B60-8489-AA7D5813971B.jpeg

A557D5CD-B806-44B1-A4DF-074402F9D24E.jpeg

A522C1DA-C939-4A8B-8B7F-D6F3D052872F.jpeg

Making sure the 4wd, hubs, and lockers are ready to go on the 77 for the 5th annual Michigan Land Cruiser get together this weekend.

Side note: Would anyone happen to have a couple of rear seat headrests for a 77 lying around? My rig showed up without them and I'm looking for a solution to keep passengers safe in case of an accident. I'm wondering if Toyota made the attachment portion of the headrests the same for all of the 70 series variants and/or their other trucks/models in that era. If so that'd make the search easier. Let me know if you have some you want to part with or have other ideas on where to get a pair. My interior is blue/grey but I'd be open to what's available.

90888EDA-7517-4D50-902E-EF697F5C6F40.jpeg

25ACCAB0-BB9C-4336-8AF4-59CF2C50665E.jpeg

I decided to go ahead and put the kaymar back on today since I had the time and all the materials needed (needed to stop stalling on it and waiting for extra pair of hands). Unlike the previous bumper I was using that only took 30 mins to install...the kaymar took a good part of my Sunday as it was not an easy solo job. I didn't put the swing outs back on yet at this time but looks pretty good already. Wiring had already been done before and it was just a simple plugin of connectors at this point. All light functions work. New mud flaps installed.

Just need to give it another bath now.

I now have real protection in the rear portion of the cruiser.

View attachment 3026210

View attachment 3026211

View attachment 3026212
Looks so good, I'd like to get a Kaymar as well. Tell me about the GXL mudflaps, where did you find those?

Thanks

Making sure the 4wd, hubs, and lockers are ready to go on the 77 for the 5th annual Michigan Land Cruiser get together this weekend.

Side note: Would anyone happen to have a couple of rear seat headrests for a 77 lying around? My rig showed up without them and I'm looking for a solution to keep passengers safe in case of an accident. I'm wondering if Toyota made the attachment portion of the headrests the same for all of the 70 series variants and/or their other trucks/models in that era. If so that'd make the search easier. Let me know if you have some you want to part with or have other ideas on where to get a pair. My interior is blue/grey but I'd be open to what's available.

View attachment 3040667

View attachment 3040668

Do your front headrests fit in the back seat? If you have access to a first gen Tacoma try those. I know my 99 Tacoma headrests fit in my troopy's front seats, which are from a later 70 series. I would bet you could find some other Toyota pick up ( or car) headrests that fit. It may prove easier using some domestic model than locating 77 specific head rests.

Do your front headrests fit in the back seat? If you have access to a first gen Tacoma try those. I know my 99 Tacoma headrests fit in my troopy's front seats, which are from a later 70 series. I would bet you could find some other Toyota pick up ( or car) headrests that fit. It may prove easier using some domestic model than locating 77 specific head rests.
Good idea. The 77's fronts do fit! I checked my 80 series rear headrests and the ratcheting mechanism is in the opposite side, but the 80's front headrests fit. That should give me some pretty good options!

View attachment 3040667

View attachment 3040668
Better to keep spare motorcycle helmets with you instead!

When you disassemble the rear Dana of a s***box South American truck…

Junk.

Hello,

Is it from a Troopy?

Quite likely that truck spent its previous life as a mini-bus in the outskirts of some city. Either that or the PO abused it.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom