A442F Hydro 3rd-4th Shifting Adjustments (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know a way to delay the premature 3rd-4th gear upshift under moderate acceleration? It's annoying to constantly manually downshift into 3rd. Haven't seen a solution on here.
Thanks

Anyone know a way to delay the premature 3rd-4th gear upshift under moderate acceleration? It's annoying to constantly manually downshift into 3rd. Haven't seen a solution on here.
Thanks

That is controlled internally by shift valves.

I would contact whole sale automatics or cruiser brothers and see if the wat nomad valve body can change that.

That is controlled internally by shift valves.

I would contact whole sale automatics or cruiser brothers and see if the wat nomad valve body can change that.
Yeah...No. It's not 5 grand worth of work annoying...yet!

A valve body is like $1200
Well with shipping, fluids and misc materials and even doing it myself it's probably $2000 ($2600 Canadian). And not skilled enough to repair myself so yeah 5 grand up here is reasonable.

Well with shipping, fluids and misc materials and even doing it myself it's probably $2000 ($2600 Canadian). And not skilled enough to repair myself so yeah 5 grand up here is reasonable.

Then I guess you'll live with it. Won't you?

Even with shipping and fluids 2k Canadian is probably more like it.

It's 5 quarts of fluid.
There are no miscellaneous parts.
The how to on this forum makes it very simple.

Then I guess you'll live with it. Won't you?

Even with shipping and fluids 2k Canadian is probably more like it.

It's 5 quarts of fluid.
There are no miscellaneous parts.
The how to on this forum makes it very simple.
hmmm feed the youngins or make daddy manually downshift... have to take poll

I would assume there is a transmission throttle cable (i.e. kickdown). Have you checked its condition and adjusted out any slack / stretch?

There's a TPS on the injection pump the transmission uses to determine shift points. I don't know how to adjust it for the results your after, but I'd focus there as a starting point.

There's a TPS on the injection pump the transmission uses to determine shift points. I don't know how to adjust it for the results your after, but I'd focus there as a starting point.

Depends on year. The 1hdt does not have one.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I did adjust slack on the kickdown a while ago. Now with the new 35's and stock gears it doesn't spend a lot of time in 4th anyway. The occasional downshift isn't that big a deal now.
Regards

the upgraded extreme valve body is well worth it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I did adjust slack on the kickdown a while ago. Now with the new 35's and stock gears it doesn't spend a lot of time in 4th anyway. The occasional downshift isn't that big a deal now.
Regards
I have a 91HDJ81 and one of the first things I did was installing the Nomad valve body as I was planning on running a GTurbo. I don't have experience driving a stock A442F to compare but I have noticed many people drive in D all the time. That does not work well as it's the overdrive. I drive in 3rd until i"m on the highway and then upshift.
The valvebody is easy to install and comes with instructions. A tranny shop shouldn't charge you more then a few hours as it's all done with tranny on the truck. The price does not include shipping to Canada and shipping your old valvebody back to them as they want the core. 1Aus$ is 0.88Canadian$ so your $6000 estimate will end up more like $3000 if a shop does it and cheaper if you do it. Valve body AUs$1200 = C$1054 right now.

the upgraded extreme valve body is well worth it.
I was on 35s and stock gearing and I hated it. 35s 4.88 is nice. Match I also ran 5.29 and 35s it’s ok but it gets to 4gear a bit early. I’m on 38s and 5.29 perfect match for my needs

I swapped in a rebuilt fully hydro + WAT and I still hate the 3rd-4th transition. Mine always downshifts too early while accelerating, for example slight uphills. I very often just drive with the shifter in 3 since I live in very mountainous terrain.

The good news is that the third TC lockup functions much like an entire extra gear which was very surprising, so the gap between 3rd and 4th is 90% less painful. Mainly I just don't like how sooty early 4th gear is and that's probably a tuning issue more than a transmission issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom