change the studs while also changing the exhaust gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to change the exhaust gasket on my 1fz-fe and I was wondering if it is recommended to change the studs going into the head as well? I have OEM studs for replacement but I'm worried about breaking the studs and having to drill them out and go through all of that hassle. Can I get away with just replacing the gasket and not the studs?

I also need to do this soon and I wanted to replace the studs while I am doing it.

I don't know if I need to replace the studs but I would rather have them ready if I break one so I don't end up waiting a week for a new one.

Does anyone have the part # for the exhaust manifold studs and gasket handy?

With ample application of PB blaster and a rotating back and forth motion even the roughest of studs generally come out. The trick is time and patience. If you just muckle on and start turning you'll break one off in a heart beat.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the part # for the exhaust manifold studs and gasket handy?

image.jpg

Studs: 90116-10169
Nuts: 90179-10128

You need 13 of each.

I got mine out with an air impact, but I had to pull the head to get the rear three out. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily they came out. There are folks who've posted their success at removing the exhaust manifolds without removing the head, but they're better mechanics than I am.

The lower studs were a different story. They are still in the pipes and they're staying there. Until the pipes rot off, anyway.

I soaked with free all for a week or so and was able to break them free relatively easy, on install I used ample anti seize so they would be easy to take out if I ever had to again. When you install it’s almost impossible to have the rear studs installed and then mount the manifold I found it easiest to mount most of the studs except the rear then mount up the rear manifold loosely then install the rear ones.

And to answer your question no they don’t need to be changed but you will need to remove the rear ones to get the manifold of chances are most of the studs will come out with the nuts over half of mine did.

While I don't think it's necessary to change the studs, I do think it's a good idea to have a handful of studs and new nuts on hand prior to doing the job. Some of the studs will be fused to the nut and will turn out of the head instead of turning the nut off the stud. Some will just be stuck or mangled in the process. If you want to replace, there are 13 of each, IIRC.

There are folks who've posted their success at removing the exhaust manifolds without removing the head, but they're better mechanics than I am.

Undo the clamp on the exhaust bracket at the bell housing.
Pry bar + ratchet strap to the shock tower was about as complicated as it was for me :meh:

Worst part was finangling the exhaust clamp back on, and finding another bolt for the clamp

* Disclaimer, Aussie model, so maybe there's less in the way?

Undo the clamp on the exhaust bracket at the bell housing.
Pry bar + ratchet strap to the shock tower was about as complicated as it was for me :meh:

Worst part was finangling the exhaust clamp back on, and finding another bolt for the clamp

* Disclaimer, Aussie model, so maybe there's less in the way?
My problem was actually getting a wrench on the nut. I would think you guys have it harder with the steering on the wrong side ;)

My problem was actually getting a wrench on the nut. I would think you guys have it harder with the steering on the wrong side ;)

I have a set of these in 3/8 drive.

images (4).jpeg

Absolute game changer for getting to awkward to reach bolts.

From memory, I used a combination of this + 4" extension, and then ratcheting ring spanner.

This aftermarket header should make the job should be easier for me!!!!!

20220613_161308.jpg

The only problem is the PO had the headers installed and I don't know the brand. Hence I am not sure if I use an oem gasket or a gasket from the unknown company that made the headers?

Anyone recognize the headers?

I’m slammed with work so I took it to a shop in town and they just called me with an update. All studs came out with no problems in both the manifold and pipe joints. All gaskets, studs and nuts replaced but the Y joint is rusted and cracked so now it’s over at an exhaust shop to replace the Y. It should be done today or tomorrow.

Courtesy Autocare in Las Vegas is great. They do a lot of work on old trucks of all kinds. The owner has owned several cruisers himself and took good care of mine.

When I removed my manifolds the majority of studs came out with the nuts.

I had new studs/nuts on hand so I was happy about them coming out!

I could have easily reused but the cost was so small that I replaced them all.

They are m10, so if not rusty they are not going to snap super easy.

I got mine out with an air impact, but I had to pull the head to get the rear three out. I was pleasantly surprised at how easily they came out. There are folks who've posted their success at removing the exhaust manifolds without removing the head, but they're better mechanics than I am.

The lower studs were a different story. They are still in the pipes and they're staying there. Until the pipes rot off, anyway.
You are best to leave the manifold to pipe studs alone, unless you absolutely have to change them!

If they require replacement you WILL need oxy/acetylene torches. A propane torch will not cut it and you will cause damage to the threads in the cast iron manifolds.
Even having the necessary torches you need to be careful. I still half destroyed one threaded hole attempting to replace them.

I stopped after one and said I’m not touching the others as they were not that bad!

Be very careful with those studs!!

I got my manifold to y-pipe studs out easy peasy with an impact gun, an extension and one of these:

904_fot_012__16692.1509133724.jpg

I'm thinking "east coast canada" might have something to do with your experience?

I got my manifold to y-pipe studs out easy peasy with an impact gun, an extension and one of these:

I'm thinking "east coast canada" might have something to do with your experience?

Same.

Cheers

Nope, she came from Cali in 2019 with 285,000 miles. Has not seen a lick of snow or salt.

I’ve never experienced such a miserable fastener to remove!

I’ve read here before they are horrible to remove, and for me, it was true.

They really didn’t need replacement, it was one of those”while it’s all apart” moments😂

I had no idea that tool existed. One more thing to add to the list of "cool tools I'd like to have but will probably only use once" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom