What did Toyota get right with the 80 series frame? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if this is a bit of a superfluous thread but I've been wondering about this a lot lately.

It seems like the 60 series frame was a lot more prone to internal delamination and rot, at least from what I've researched. And it appears the 100 series also generally has more rust issues than the J80.

I ran into the notorious frame rot issue in my 98 Tacoma also; it looked like I was pulling out stale turkey jerky from the inside of the rails.

So what's different about the 80 series that makes it hold up so well, even in the salt belt where an equivalent Tacoma or J60 would be falling apart?

It might not be that they all rusted away so much as they weren't popular in the midwest....but yes, salt will still rust them out and have seem some sad 80 chassis photos in the for sale section. I don't know if the 80 frame is more resistant than others or not but if taken care of they seem to do pretty well.

Well regardless they seem to hold up better than other models. Sure, anything will rot with enough abuse but something about the 80 series makes me think the metallurgy is higher quality, or maybe the finishing processes were better. I haven't heard of them rotting from the inside out like other Toyota frames.

They seem really thick and strong too, almost like steel girders. I reckon they're just as strong as an equivalent full size truck, maybe even a heavy duty 3500 frame with how overbuilt it is. I'm not sure though.

Tacoma frames dissolve because Dana made them and did a poor job of coating them.

Is probably the thickness and that the frames were made in Japan. The Tacomas chassis that have rotting problems are made in the USA by contract if I recalled.

My impression is that the 60 series is worst for frame rust problems among Land Cruisers, more so than 40 and 55. That said, my BJ70 had a horribly rotted frame. Canadian BJ70's have a bad rep for this problem. Of course, environmental factors play a major role in rust development.
80 series has a strong frame that seems to hold up better than many to rust. I believe the Land Cruiser frames continue to get stronger with each newer generation.

That’d be cool if someone did a technical deep dive re LC frames on yt, 60-70-80-100-200-300.

None are impervious to rust.

Is probably the thickness and that the frames were made in Japan. The Tacomas chassis that have rotting problems are made in the USA by contract if I recalled.
Yeah I've heard it was poor practices at the mill and/or when finishing the steel, and also impurities in the material.

But Japanese-made sheet metal has had plenty of issues as well, like in the 60 series as mentioned above.

My impression is that the 60 series is worst for frame rust problems among Land Cruisers, more so than 40 and 55. That said, my BJ70 had a horribly rotted frame. Canadian BJ70's have a bad rep for this problem. Of course, environmental factors play a major role in rust development.
80 series has a strong frame that seems to hold up better than many to rust. I believe the Land Cruiser frames continue to get stronger with each newer generation.
I think they had to make the newer frames more rigid to make up for eh loss of the solid axle. Not sure on that though.

That’d be cool if someone did a technical deep dive re LC frames on yt, 60-70-80-100-200-300.

None are impervious to rust.

There is not much to deep dive into.

They are pretty much still manufactured as they have always been. Same presses, same plant, etc. The only things that have changed are the technologies used for welding and jig differences for final weld.

The only major changes have been regarding the use of materials in different parts of the frame to accommodate crumple zones for impact (regulatory changes, basically) and the use of high-tensile steel in certain areas of the frame.

Otherwise, the 70 series frame, for example, hasn't really changed much from the "minor changes" introduced in 2007 to accommodate the 1VD-FTV.

There is not much to deep dive into.

They are pretty much still manufactured as they have always been. Same presses, same plant, etc. The only things that have changed are the technologies used for welding and jig differences for final weld.

The only major changes have been regarding the use of materials in different parts of the frame to accommodate crumple zones for impact (regulatory changes, basically) and the use of high-tensile steel in certain areas of the frame.

Otherwise, the 70 series frame, for example, hasn't really changed much from the "minor changes" introduced in 2007 to accommodate the 1VD-FTV.
In their 300 series announcement video not long ago, I recall the LC chief engineer stating how proud they are of the new state-of-the-art frame. Not sexy to most, but of note for me.

I'm still curious if there's any technical documentation showing material differences, if any, between the J vin TNGA-F chassis and those made in the USA (e.g. Tundra).

Yeah I've heard it was poor practices at the mill and/or when finishing the steel, and also impurities in the material.

This is what I read. Lower quality steel.

Incidentally, there was a scandal a few years back when it was discovered that a major Japanese steel manufacturer had been fabricating numbers for decades:

In their 300 series announcement video not long ago, I recall the LC chief engineer stating how proud they are of the new state-of-the-art frame. Not sexy to most, but of note for me.

I'm still curious if there's any technical documentation showing material differences, if any, between the J vin TNGA-F chassis and those made in the USA (e.g. Tundra).

Yes, that documentation exists. These are in documents called "NCF": New Car Features. There is detailed technical discussion regarding the frame assemblies. Regarding "comparing them"-- you need to do that yourself. Toyota isn't going to do that for you.

US model frames (Tundra, Tacoma, Seqouia) are manufactured by MetalSA in Mexico.

Japan model frames (LC/LX, GX, Prado, 4Runner) are sourced from Aichi Steel Corporation and manufactured at the Honsha plant (Plant A1, Line 1= A11).

Yes, that documentation exists. These are in documents called "NCF": New Car Features. There is detailed technical discussion regarding the frame assemblies. Regarding "comparing them"-- you need to do that yourself. Toyota isn't going to do that for you.

US model frames (Tundra, Tacoma, Seqouia) are manufactured by MetalSA in Mexico.

Japan model frames (LC/LX, GX, Prado, 4Runner) are sourced from Aichi Steel Corporation and manufactured at the Honsha plant (Plant A1, Line 1= A11).
Let's not get it twisted: I never asked Toyota to do anything for me.

Your delivery often sucks online (quite a contrast to your ig video features), but I do appreciate the T esoteric content. Thanks.

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍺

Here is a pretty rusty 80-series frame.

D45C0B81-0B16-4917-9641-FE8B488EDF99.jpeg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom