Cruiser Head (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright. Finally got the hardware in to make a first working prototype! Here's a sneak peak.

Tools Required for installation.
x1 Phillips Screw Driver

This USB charger fits in your stock FJ60 dash bezel and features a green backlight that dims and brightens with your factory dimmer for better night viewing, It plugs into your cigarette lighter housing and works with your key!

I did say this was a prototype and I'm still working out the bugs like how long I should make the wires etc. Now that I have all the components I should have these finally up for sale by next week.

USBprototype2.jpg

Last edited:
Alright. Finally got the hardware in to make a first working prototype! Here's a sneak peak.

Tools Required for installation.
x1 Phillips Screw Driver

This USB charger fits in your stock FJ60 dash bezel and features a green backlight that dims and brightens with your factory dimmer for better night viewing, It plugs into your cigarette lighter housing and works with your key!

I did say this was a prototype and I'm still working out the bugs like how long I should make the wires etc. Now that I have all the components I should have these finally up for sale by next week.

View attachment 3031563

you do know that this is most excellent SEMA-Spec. concept visionary work Chase :cool:

- can you post photos of it Illuminated up with both OEM Green and NON-USA Optional Blue Led also possibly ?

- will the illumination feature simply come on and stay on all the time with the key like the USB B+ power ?

or

- be a ACTIVE ON / Active OFF , stand alone dedicated circuit fed via the FJ60 Interior illumination circuit parking and or headlamps in the ON position , initially fed by

the 84310-60180 Switch , Sub. Assy. ?

- what really does for me chase is the period correct focus point in detail of the bull-nose rounded edge features combined with the trim like beveled groove

you crafted further inside then face before the 2 USB port them selves

- exactly like my 2 TECH examples below :

Before I finalize the USB charger kits here's what I have so far.
  • Cable can reach both blanks of the bezel.
  • 24V & 12V versions will be avaliable (Assuming 24V uses the same plug)
  • 2 versions, A plug and play and a Wire it yourself.
I cant think of anything else. If anyone has any final suggestions on to what this product should have let me know now so I can consider and or order appropriate hardware.

Last edited:
Okay unofficial - Official post.

They SHOULD be on-sale later today 6/17/2022.

The differences between 12V and 24V systems.​

A 12V USB charger will work in a 24V system and a 24V charger will work in a 12V system. The only difference is the backlight bulbs. To convert a charger from one system to another just be sure and swap the bulb for one that's rated correctly for your system.

Kits​

There will be a "Plug and Play" version where you only need to plug the new harness in series with your cigarette lighter. If you have a Phillips screw driver and thumbs you can do this install, Its as easy as it gets. This version features a green backlight that works with your dash backlight dimmer knob (rheostat). Its really nice actually.

The 2nd version will be a cheaper option where you must solder or crimp the wires yourself. This kit would be better aimed at those who dont have a stock wire harness or want to run the USB charger directly to the battery. This version also includes the green backlight but you have to wire it yourself.

To make this USB charger as stock looking as possible I went with an incandescent bulb using a OEM style green cover. Pictured below is a 24V bulb with the cover. The backlight functions with your headlight switch (If you choose the plug and play kit). The socket is for a size 74 Bulb, If you desire you can swap these out for an LED, In-fact I have a few green LED's on hand so just ask and ill swap out your backlight for one (12v Only). The LED's are pretty bright and act almost like a flashlight coming out of the housing so I prefer the incandescent bulb personally.

bulbcover.jpg
backlight.jpg

Please understand that these are priced the way they are because I have to solder each USB board together, Cut-crimp-tape-test every wire harness by hand, Preform a multi stage cleaning process for each 3D print, Paint each part inside and out, and source from multiple suppliers all the hardware for this piece. This item although small was designed and put together by myself and each unit takes a few hours to assemble. This is by far the most complex item Ive ever made that I plan to put on the market.

Better pictures coming soon with the official release.

Thanks all!

Open up for pre-orders. :)
okay, its live now.
I'll edit the listing more tomorrow.:)
Mud members get first dibs in line

Orders away !

@ChaserFJ60 The price is great. I see other stuff out there that’s way less useful and has a MUCH higher price. You made a good thing that takes a lot of labor and material - get paid for it!

okay, its live now.
I'll edit the listing more tomorrow.:)
Mud members get first dibs in line
This is fantastic work and was so excited until I read... "This will not fit in the FJ62 style dash.". Any plans for a version for the four-eyed cousins? Maybe an option for the center console coin slot location as well? If so sign me up!

This is fantastic work and was so excited until I read... "This will not fit in the FJ62 style dash.". Any plans for a version for the four-eyed cousins? Maybe an option for the center console coin slot location as well? If so sign me up!
a 62 version is coming soon! Still finalizing the 60 kits but I plan them to function more or less the same.

This is awesome, amazing work!

Also, putting this here before I forget...I had a potential product idea, I have a factory switch where the side mounting/secure tabs have broken off. Could you replicate just the outer frame to swap in?

Update
Orders are coming but I had spotted a design flaw so I'm reproducing all the housings. The USB chargers have a Thermal throttling protocol as to not overheat, with my housing being completely sealed there was no way for heat to escape efficiently causing the chargers to throttle much sooner and more often than they should. Ive added new features that should allow for smoother charging as-well as less heat build up. all in all it should be mo betta
FinalUSBChargerPictureLogo.jpg

Last edited:
Another update, I haven't forgotten about the fuse door panel! Just modeled it now. Sucks not having a 3D scanner but I make due, Before I make any changes to any model I first duplicate it exactly as it is in CAD to have a consistent reference. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about those metal locking tabs just yet. Anyway. Progress... Enjoy some renderings

Rendering1Back.png
Rendering1Front.png

Another update, I haven't forgotten about the fuse door panel! Just modeled it now. Sucks not having a 3D scanner but I make due, Before I make any changes to any model I first duplicate it exactly as it is in CAD to have a consistent reference. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about those metal locking tabs just yet. Anyway. Progress... Enjoy some renderings

View attachment 3040770View attachment 3040771
My charcoal 62 cover is heavily warped. This will be a nice thing to correct. Gotta get a reproduction fuse layout decal too!

*cough* *cough* @ToyotaMatt

I have a million things happening at once. But I thought this was a good idea. I'm waiting on more parts for the USB car chargers as im making more improvements. Ill make a detailed write-up about its design etc when its done. Really how it is now would work, but I can make it work better so I would rather sell a better thing than a not so better thing.

Before I had a 3D printer I cut into my switch blank to add a mini rocker switch to my FJ60 Bezel, I really hate cutting into OEM parts as they keep getting harder and harder to come by so this would be a nice alternative.

Would this be something anyone is interested in? Really I can make any layout to these housings so let me know if any of you have suggestions!
FJ60 RockerSwitch.png

Production FINALLY Starts Today! Power was out all day yesterday on a beautifully hot summer day so that was fun. lol.
FJ62 Version in pursuit as well as other charger versions... These work with the FJ60 dash bezels that we already sell and reproduce too
:)

I post more of the nitty gritty progress on my instagram: CruiserHeadParts

FJ60 Part Assortment.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom