Lifted FJ80 Roll over, approach, departure and breakover angle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a bit of a nerdy question, I'm currently taking a navigation course and interesting enough I understood 4x4 cars have all this data some where.
I do need to add an inclinometers as well as the dunes tackled are tricky (special with some one inexperienced as myself)

Any way to do those calculation (rough even) so I at least have a safety margin till I get my off-road feet ?

Typically, these figures are calculated when the vehicle is modified with a lift, tires, and any additional weight above the CoG.
Original factory configuration calculations can probably be found somewhere.
They won't be too all impressive tho. lol

So a bit of a nerdy question, I'm currently taking a navigation course and interesting enough I understood 4x4 cars have all this data some where.
I do need to add an inclinometers as well as the dunes tackled are tricky (special with some one inexperienced as myself)

Any way to do those calculation (rough even) so I at least have a safety margin till I get my off-road feet ?
Modified trucks will all be different depending on what size lift, tires, and bumpers they have. If you really want the information get yourself some string/rope and an angle finder. Lay the rope on the ground in a flat line and drive on top of it. Take the rope and stretch it up to your bumpers and that’s your approach and departure angles. Do the same thing in the center of the vehicle and that’s your break over.

But in the real world you’re not going to use those numbers to drive the truck with an inclinometer. Just start slowly and ease your way into off-roading, you will increase your limits as you learn your truck’s. Have fun!

Last edited:
Modified trucks will all be different depending on what size lift, tires, and bumpers they have. If you really want the information get yourself some string/rope and an angle finder. Lay the rope on the ground in a flat line and drive on top of it. Take the rope and stretch it up to your bumpers and that’s your approach and departure angles. Do the same thing in the center of the vehicle and that’s your break over.

But in the real world you’re not going to use those numbers to drive the truck with an inclinometer. Just start slowly and ease your way into off-roading, you will increase your limits as you learn your truck’s. Have fun!
Your absolutely right but I'm too much of a nerd not to have numbers and figures in front of me :D
Thanks for the info will do that I guess all that remains is the roll over angle and experience !
Should be taking it out on Saturday for my first sand experience ......

Buy an arrowhead necklace.

1655401924301.png

Hang it from your rear view mirror inside.

When it's pointing at your balls, you're about to tip over.

Unlike flying, there are no better instruments for navigating or controlling a vehicle than a human's brain and central nervous system. Use your equipment and learn it's limitations by said use. No external inclinometer will keep you from rolling over. If you were to focus on that instrument, once you register you are past the limit and react, it's likely too late and you're going over.

Hang it from your rear view mirror inside.

When it's pointing at your balls, you're about to tip over.
That qualifies as the most technical analytical reply i ever got hats off to you sir :D

Yes the human brain mine seems to be wired differently XD
For sure practice makes perfect and thanks for the words of wisdom, I guess the lift is making me a bit edgy not only is the my first 4x4 its lifted so I'm way unsure of how the car is handling in any situation.

That qualifies as the most technical analytical reply i ever got hats off to you sir :D

Yes the human brain mine seems to be wired differently XD
For sure practice makes perfect and thanks for the words of wisdom, I guess the lift is making me a bit edgy not only is the my first 4x4 its lifted so I'm way unsure of how the car is handling in any situation.
Even lifted these truck should feel very stable. If the truck feels super sketchy it is possible that the lift isn’t quite setup right, (I.e. no caster correction, too tall springs, worn out bushings, etc). Did you buy the truck lifted or did you add the lift? Do you know anyone that can drive the truck and make sure it feels like it should?

Having watched a demonstration at an Overland Expo years ago, trust that when the hair stands up on the back of your neck, you're still not even close to tipping over sideways. There's an incredible difference between what feels unnatural to your brain and the actual tipping point, and your brain will win. There's far more confidence going up and down things in terms of approach angles, so be cautious there when starting out.

A Pro-Tip would be to go out with a group of guys with trucks built similarly to yours and follow them on the trail. Watch where their rigs move and sway and you can learn a ton from observing it all from behind, followed by actually feeling it inside your truck when you traverse the same obstacle.

Even lifted these truck should feel very stable. If the truck feels super sketchy it is possible that the lift isn’t quite setup right, (I.e. no caster correction, too tall springs, worn out bushings, etc). Did you buy the truck lifted or did you add the lift? Do you know anyone that can drive the truck and make sure it feels like it should?
So where to start lol .... had a very long day today with a mechanic going over the under carriage here is what we found out and fixed:

Sway bar bushing front worn - replaced
sway bar bushing back work - replaced
Front back bushings (the one with 3 bushings to together and 1 at back) worn - replaced
Back bushings all 4 worn - replaced
Front stabilizing bar both sides worn - replaced
the side "finger thingies that look like a clamp on one side and a bolt" both worn - replaced
steering tightened (Needs work in the future)
Almost everything was lose and i mean everything needed to be tightened a lot ...

Took lots of pics and video will share them later on ...

Now the car does feel soooo much better .... there is still a lot of play in the steering wheel (the mountings needs work) and there is some wear and tear in steering but its a different car now
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 10.15.21 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 10.15.22 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 10.15.40 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 10.15.41 PM.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom