What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How old is your bilge pump or is it original?

blead the brakes and now have the best brakes the 80 has ever had. Best mod ever!

D9A8B291-DB3E-4502-931E-B8C35FEAC200.jpeg

30388137-5E10-4995-B7E7-8F1DE1E8EADF.jpeg

Last edited:
@kennethargo the AC condensation should drain out through the firewall thanks to gravity. If it's backing up that indicates a clog. The evap box on these can get really dirty and to deal with the clog it likely makes sense to clean out the inside of the box. You can do this somewhat easily by pulling the blower motor and using the hole that removing it opens up to access the evaporator core and clean it and the area out, etc.

Search on the forum for more info on cleaning the evaporator / box and you should find nice pics, etc. There are a number of cleaning methods but you don't have to get it perfect, just get the blockage out of the drain for now.

Last edited:
I drove my 1996 LC 3500 miles from Portland Oregon to Tampa FL. I observed a small squeak every 32 seconds or so; it sounded like a pump starting and stopping. Then I noticed the passengers side floorboard getting wet. Very wet. It was condensation. I cannot find the drain plug; or perhaps I did (on the firewall of passenger side); ran a wires through it and nothing. Is the pump not working to pump out the condensation? I'm new here so direct me accordingly. Thank you. Ken
There is no "pump" to remove this. The gravity drain is on the firewall behind a shield.

Not sure what the noise you're hearing may be other than water building up in your fan housing. That's not a good thing.

24 years no cracks, just dash fade. Originally a Seattle car. Want some protection here on out.

The dash mat look is growing on me just like I never thought I’d grow to appreciate sheep skin seat covers.

Black is the only color I’d go with. Nice and flat, too. I ain't scared of no ☀️.

IMG_1212.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure what toyota was thinking when they designed where the PHH/that other stupid hose that goes to the throttle body went. Believe everything was original to the 80 at 352k. Comfortable taking it out of town now.
View attachment 3035622View attachment 3035623
PHH is stupid, but I’d rather do it than a lot of other things. The bypass hose in front of it is worse IMO.. haven’t done that one yet

I want to bypass my rear heater, as I don’t need it and my rear metal pipes are looking sketchy - waiting to see if partsouq actually has 87245-60420 in stock as I like the single hose idea, but where do I get that piece of curved gates? I think I’ve seen it mentioned here, but LCP is out.

Big gains in the illumination department today. Replaced the original ARB amber bumper signals with an updated LED unit sent via mail from Australia. Was originally going to go with the Gamiviti clear replacement lenses but since my purpose was to convert the light to a DRL it made more sense to go with the more visible LED unit. I've always wanted to have the amber marker light on the corner serve as a turn signal so I just swapped the wires with the bumper lights and hey presto - DRLs on the bumper and turn signals on the corners.

Diode Dynamics SSC2s on the top and SS3s on the bottom. The backlighting on the SSC2s lights up when the DRLs are turned on (gotta have some amber up front when the lights are illuminated here in TX). Factory fog light button inside turns the SSC2s up all the way. The SS3s are tied to the high beams to throw additional light down the road.

Found a mess of sketchy wiring under the dash from long since removed modifications or gadgets so it was nice to get that out of there. There was no connection from the dash fog light switch to a pair of old accessory plugs at the front of the grille so the fog lights got an entirely new wire run. I already had an upgraded Slee lighting harness installed so that helped with the other new wiring runs.

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1992.jpeg

IMG_1993.jpeg

Last edited:
I would like to run some 8 gauge power wire through the passenger side firewall and was wondering if anyone has done so using the spots circled in the picture? Run into any issues behind the FW?
Thanks,
dg
FW Penetration.jpg

I would like to run some 8 gauge power wire through the passenger side firewall and was wondering if anyone has done so using the spots circled in the picture? Run into any issues behind the FW?
Thanks,
dgView attachment 3036183
I ran 2 gauge wire through there no problem so you should be fine. I snipped the top off both of those rubber grommets and ran one wire through each. You could get both of your wires through one of them. There’s a clear shot down to the passenger kick panel from inside that opening.

What speedo gear change did you make? I need to do this instead of trying to do the Yellowbox thing.

There is also the Lutz box for speedo correction.

The gear seems pretty nice.

The Lutz Auto speedo correction box is the bees knees. No wires to cut or splice, and nothing to disassemble - simple plug and play, and it's stupid easy to adjust. It's adjustable in 0.5% increments so you get the dead-nuts accurate speedometer/odometer, and your transmission shift points will feel like they should.

The Lutz Auto speedo correction box is the bees knees. No wires to cut or splice, and nothing to disassemble - simple plug and play, and it's stupid easy to adjust. It's adjustable in 0.5% increments so you get the dead-nuts accurate speedometer/odometer, and your transmission shift points will feel like they should.

Us poor's with 92 and older are left out lol

PHH is stupid, but I’d rather do it than a lot of other things. The bypass hose in front of it is worse IMO.. haven’t done that one yet

I want to bypass my rear heater, as I don’t need it and my rear metal pipes are looking sketchy - waiting to see if partsouq actually has 87245-60420 in stock as I like the single hose idea, but where do I get that piece of curved gates? I think I’ve seen it mentioned here, but LCP is out.
Yeah LC Phil and wits end are both out of the specialty bypass hose. I used the Gates 28467 which is readily available.

24 years no cracks, just dash fade. Originally a Seattle car. Want some protection here on out.

The dash mat look is growing on me just like I never thought I’d grow to appreciate sheep skin seat covers.

Black is the only color I’d go with. Nice and flat, too. I ain't scared of no ☀️.

View attachment 3036057
Yeah, I love my dash mat. I think the aesthetic matches these '90s trucks.

Haven't really seen this done before but I wanted to share what I did this weekend.

I had slow wiper syndrome and basically separated cleaned and re-grease and also added a zerk fitting. Wipers function like new now :)

The picture with the Vice and socks was to gently squeeze the arm so the spring clip can come loose. I just used a dental pick set to work it out.

C3AC96E6-D161-406F-8EC3-CE6D0547F8C5.jpeg

4C23FDE9-8798-406D-A86D-55AF679A1E54.jpeg

A74BE64C-FB6D-4D85-9F6A-EF3B55F5E58F.jpeg

013EC386-F04A-48FF-8E4F-91AF02A2EAD1.png

My first off-road driving experience, natural reserve area with a bit of rock climbing part of a navigation course I'm taking.
It got a bit harry going in the soft sand on the way in the reserve, so much to learn !

Need to get myself some proper equipment for this sort of stuff.

It was very hot today about 37 degrees Celsius (in the Canyon it was more of course) my 2 phones overheated and went into protection mode ....

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 11.41.50 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 11.41.50 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 11.57.20 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 11.57.44 PM.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom