2B knock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my injector nozzles replaced by a so called mechanic. It was running ok prior to handing it over. I thought new nozzles would clear up some rough idleing. Well anyway when I got it back I started it up and noticed a pretty nice knock. I asked the mechanic where did the knock come from... He sorta looked at me cross eyed cause he didn't speak much english (i'm in okinawa). He mumbled in broken english that my timing was off. I asked him if he could adjust it and he said he didn't know how.........

SO the question is could my timing be causing the knock? It makes sense but I am new to diesels. I read in one of the B engine manuals how to adjust timing and does not look all that difficult. The engine has never knocked before. Is there anything else that needs to be adjusted after installing new nozzles? Any tips, tricks or comments would be awsome! Thanks for the help:beer:

I doubt the timing is out.
I know the 3B uses a gear (not belt of chain), so I would think the 2B does too.

My first guess:
Was it filled up with gas and not diesel?

When did it start doing this? Right after a fill up? Or in the middle of the tank?
My first thought would be bad fuel or gas.

If it happened in the middle of tank I would guess a pre-cup.
But the pre-cup guess is just that. A guess.

Cheers,
Nick

I doubt the timing is out.
I know the 3B uses a gear (not belt of chain), so I would think the 2B does too.

Cheers,
Nick

He's not talking about valve timing. He's talking about injection pump timing. And it could be out.

If it happened after a injection nozzle service maybe the crack pressure is set wrong. But that would be a guess.

But it could also be air circulating thru the system. After I did my injectors it took quite a bit of bleeding to get out the roughness. And it did knock about a bit.

Try bleeding the injection pump and the nozzles(when running).

He's not talking about valve timing. He's talking about injection pump timing. And it could be out.

If it happened after a injection nozzle service maybe the crack pressure is set wrong. But that would be a guess.

But it could also be air circulating thru the system. After I did my injectors it took quite a bit of bleeding to get out the roughness. And it did knock about a bit.

Try bleeding the injection pump and the nozzles(when running).

Ditto: I have had fuel knocks after injector replacement, they seem to be worse when it is cold but after a good bleed they go away. they are a very sharp knock.

It could be something else but mine just took some time to go away.

Myrle

I took it to Teruya Garage. Its off of 330. I talked to BJ44 a.k.a. Shane and he recommended the Toyota dealership. It seems there one of the very few places that have the capabilities to accuratly check the injectors for proper spray and pressure. We are guessing the injectors were not put together proberly or something along those lines. I got a appt tomorrow, wish me luck!:cheers:

Ditto: I have had fuel knocks after injector replacement, they seem to be worse when it is cold but after a good bleed they go away. they are a very sharp knock.

It could be something else but mine just took some time to go away.

Myrle

I know what your talking about. When I had mine done I could definately hear it knock about. But when I described it to the guy who did them he explained it as normal. It's just a fresh proper detonation your hearing. Like you said cold it is worse, but once warm it is fine.

Which I took as right at the time, because my TDI golf did exactly the same thing cold. A little more knock. Just a fresh good detonation. Instead of a sloppy
mis sprayed one.

well i took my truck to the yota dealer and they took it straight to denso. Come to find out the NEW nozzles I was suppose to get from the last mechanic were not new at all. They were used if not the same ones... So denso cleaned and checked the entire injector. They told me everythinh was in great shape now. Get the truck back tomorrow!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom