3FE Owners Check-In (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, my trip to the Sequoias National Park last weekend wasn't exactly smooth sailing. This was the 4th time in 6 yrs, 2 times with a blown radiator, 1 time with fusible link/grounding and this time what I believe is a bad torque converter. Was pushing the rig pretty hard up 6500 ft/ 300 miles of driving, and after turning into a 4x4 trail, a whining noise from the tranny becomes more apparent and started experiencing gear slippage. I pushed on forward about a couple more miles just to get off the dirt road and campground was not far ahead. Pulled into the campground and lost all forward gear and reverse. Checked the tranny fluid, it was full and no burning smell. Started up the rig and it would grab, had forward and reverse for a while and completely slip and lost all gears again. Long story short, I have started experiencing slight shuddering and vibration for the past few months from a dead stop to about 5 mph, and long delay shift from 1st to 2nd, and not thinking too much of it- big mistake. My rig was running amazing with the WAT nomad valve body upgrade since 2020. I am taking it to a transmission shop to see what they have to say, all symptoms point me to a bad torque converter. I have a set of high/low transfer underdrive waiting to install, so it would be a good time to do it along with upgrading my Torque converter to a Billet HD unit from WAT to go along with the HD Nomad valve body already in the car. Should be a bullet proof setup with close to ~5.29 final gearing with the underdrive high transfer regear along with my 4.88 in my 3rd. Stay tune for more update folks...
View attachment 3033990
Dang that sucks.......

What roof rack are you running? If I don't make my own that is the one i'd actually pay for

Bowfin > Prinsu.

I’ve owned 1 Prinsu and they sent me the wrong mounting hardware TWICE.

I ordered a second time for another LC and over a 4 week period was told “it ships next week” until they said “we aren’t sure when it will ship”. Cancelled that

I have bought and run 2 Bowfin racks w/o issue. Can’t recommend them enough

Bowfin > Prinsu.

I’ve owned 1 Prinsu and they sent me the wrong mounting hardware TWICE.

I ordered a second time for another LC and over a 4 week period was told “it ships next week” until they said “we aren’t sure when it will ship”. Cancelled that

I have bought and run 2 Bowfin racks w/o issue. Can’t recommend them enough
Agreed. Besides supporting the MUD community, I like the clean line and simplicity of the Bowfin. Been on my truck for 5 yrs now and still looks like new.

Has anyone done the r12 to r134a conversion? Mine is still on R12 and is getting kind of weak in 100+ degree weather. 🥵 Trying to decide if the r134a conversion works okay, or if its worth the hassle of trying to find someone to refurbish and refill R12.

I had it redone a month ago by a mechanic I trust. Blows ice cold

He also blew out the heater core with pressurized water.

Has anyone done the r12 to r134a conversion? Mine is still on R12 and is getting kind of weak in 100+ degree weather. 🥵 Trying to decide if the r134a conversion works okay, or if its worth the hassle of trying to find someone to refurbish and refill R12.
I think R12 if working properly blows colder air than R134a...

What
I had it redone a month ago by a mechanic I trust. Blows ice cold

He also blew out the heater core with pressurized water.
What outside temps have you tested in?

I think R12 if working properly blows colder air than R134a...
Looks like there is quite a bit of testimony that R12 actually worked better, but I'm having a hard time parsing if thats just people being curmudgeons or actually true.

Looks like there is quite a bit of testimony that R12 actually worked better, but I'm having a hard time parsing if thats just people being curmudgeons or actually true.
Mine has been converted to R134a and recharged by a certified shop, and the AC works fairly well at sub 90 degree ambient temp. My last time to the Sequoias , and we had just experienced a heat wave over the weekend, and the outside temp was well over 95-100 degree, and my AC was struggling to blow cold. Even my brother's jeep, which is a 2016 model, did not do much better in the AC department for what it is worth...Normally my coolant temp will be about 192 F on the highway, but this time around, it was in the 205 plus range.

I think yesterday was 85 and middle humidity (not sure exactly). It was dumping water on the ground, and cool enough inside

It’s going to be 100+ this weekend. I will test it out (this is not my daily-I drive infrequently)

Retrofitted my 94 years ago by replacing all the O rings and dryer. I put a vacuum on the system then charged it. Worked great.

I tested out the AC on the hwy today. 70 mph and it was 100 degrees. AC worked great, no overheating and the fan was at speed 3. All good

Tough to maintain 70 in the wind, but 🤷‍♂️

Around town is good, but not as cold if I’m not moving. No complaints from me on it!

20220708_195356.jpg
IMG-7176.jpg

Figured it was about time I added my pig on the check in.

Bought it in 2019 bone stock and it has snowballed into a weekend rock crawler, with the goal being as big of tires and low COG on as low of a lift as possible. I'm pretty pleased with how it wheels right now on 37's and OME 850s up front and 860s rear with L shocks all around.

View attachment 3054062View attachment 3054064

Figured it was about time I added my pig on the check in.

Bought it in 2019 bone stock and it has snowballed into a weekend rock crawler, with the goal being as big of tires and low COG on as low of a lift as possible. I'm pretty pleased with how it wheels right now on 37's and OME 850s up front and 860s rear with L shocks all around.
Looks like the last picture from Dishpan Waterfall? Rig looks good!

mine had an R134 conversion done by PO. It has always worked well. I have the factory tint all around and the old wagon kept the family (5) and 2 dogs nice and comfy last weekend on a 500 mile round trip in temperatures of 105-110, and over mountain passes. When it is over 105 it has to be on full blast, oitherwise it stays cool enough at lower fan levels. It blows Ice cold under 100.

The mountain passes were not fun though... watching the digital T guage like a hawk. We trucked up some passes at 35-40 mph in 2nd gear and 3200-3800 rpms and the temps went up to 200-209, 4-5 times. She also towed my jet boat along. Only major issue was my electrical tape failing on the driver side mirror lol - really need to install that floppy mirror fix thingee I ordered like 2 years ago.

Also engine wines high pitched in 2nd above 3200 rpms alot . suspect power steering pulley but not sure...

Wondering if I can get peoples feedback about there experience with the 3fe engine on there 80 series.. I am looking into one with 147k miles and I hear so many people telling me to stay away from 91 and 92. So any help would be greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom