Help! FJ40 Roof Cap Resto- How do I install these rivets?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hey folks. Thanks to everyone who's responded and helped with my roof cap project so far.

Now I'm ready to install the new rivets... The ones cool cruisers sent me are like aluminum mushrooms and they are not the type which work with a rivet gun. What rivets do you recommend? I notice a lot of people here don't like the CCOT ones. But if you have used them, how did you install them?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate every bit of advice.

ccot rivet.png
ccot rivet2.png

I did regular pop rivets with the head on the underside.

I did coated aluminum ones. They don't need to be very long, just enough to grab. You want them short enough so when you float sealant on the top side, they are below that level.

I do wish I would've filled all of the holes in the underside. It didn't cross my mind until after it was done. It's a minor thing though.

I also glued the cap to the gutter, so my rivets really aren't doing much in the first place

I did regular pop rivets with the head on the underside.

I did coated aluminum ones. They don't need to be very long, just enough to grab. You want them short enough so when you float sealant on the top side, they are below that level.

I do wish I would've filled all of the holes in the underside. It didn't cross my mind until after it was done. It's a minor thing though.

I also glued the cap to the gutter, so my rivets really aren't doing much in the first place
I glued as well.

What do you mean, you wish you filled the holes on the underside? Don't the rivets fill the holes?

Did you use the same Cool Cruisers rivers I got?
I did get the Cool Cruisers rivets but found the head and shaft diameters were larger than OEM. I didn’t want to enlarge the holes so I went with a rivet from McMaster Car.

291393BC-3AF9-433E-BC11-A655BA8DFB88.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom