Head gasket failure? I’m not sure. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most shop rates are in the $165/ hour now.

Get with the times. :rofl:

The shop will also have to provide replacement gaskets for the manifold, throttle body, and any hoses they destroy in the process. If you're having the top half of the intake off, change your fuel filter and all your vacuum hoses underneath.

So $500 of over priced hoses and gaskets, still leaves about 14 hours shop time.

Since it isn't your daily driver, just do it yourself. It will give you a chance to clean out the intake manifolds, clean the injectors, replace vacuum lines and neatly wrap the new harness. You will take more care to do it correctly than a shop will.

I would think a competent mechanic would have this done by lunch time?

ya probably not, i would think that would be an all day project at best. ive had to replace smaller engine harnesses and its taken me all day because of what has to come off the engine in order to get access to connectors or mounting brackets for the harness.

the 2500 is priced so if the cust dosnt go for it you win, if they do go for it your going to still hate doing the job but at least itll pay well. and you have to factor in incidentals like the intake gaskets for this job, coolant, fuel filter and stuff like that.

I think it was about 8 labor hours for me to pull it out, inspect, and reinstall. The tranny plugs can be a pain.

Peace of mind is worth having done it myself. Nice and wrapped and protected for the future.

ya probably not, i would think that would be an all day project at best. ive had to replace smaller engine harnesses and its taken me all day because of what has to come off the engine in order to get access to connectors or mounting brackets for the harness.

the 2500 is priced so if the cust dosnt go for it you win, if they do go for it your going to still hate doing the job but at least itll pay well. and you have to factor in incidentals like the intake gaskets for this job, coolant, fuel filter and stuff like that.

Yep, $2500 is the "we don't want to do it" price IMO

So after looking a little more this morning I think it may actually be that the engine wiring harness is melted by the egr. I started it up again this morning and nothing at first but then it started doing it after a minute or so. I move the harness back and for (slight as there isn’t much play) and was able to recreate it each time I moved it. I think the culprit might be a wire for the injectors grounding out...
Have a photo of the harness?

Buy some scotch super 88, heat tape, a weller soldering gun, 63/37 solder, maybe 10 colors of GXL Automotive wire and repair it in an afternoon for maybe 200$ total. Buy 6 injector connectors cause you will break those but de pinning and replacing the pins in new connectors is easy.

I would use good crimps or splices not solder as the movement and vibration could break the solder

I think it was about 8 labor hours for me to pull it out, inspect, and reinstall. The tranny plugs can be a pain.

Peace of mind is worth having done it myself. Nice and wrapped and protected for the future.
Mucho fast & easy job...
When you pull the engine, TC and tranny.
Did mine last August

I would use good crimps or splices not solder as the movement and vibration could break the solder
Only if you do it wrong.

Step 1: Open the outer insulation and verify there’s actually a problem with the wiring.

If the problem is minor and the remainder of the wiring isn’t brittle then properly repair it, wrap with header tape, and secure the harness away from the EGR tube.

Step 1: Open the outer insulation and verify there’s actually a problem with the wiring.

If the problem is minor and the remainder of the wiring isn’t brittle then properly repair it, wrap with header tape, and secure the harness away from the EGR tube.
It seemed pretty brittle a ways down the line. But I bought stuff to repair the harness as well as a new harness. I’m either going to a.) do as you’ve suggested above and hope that fixes it. But have a spare new one jic. Or b.) take the old out and replace with new, then repair the old as a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom